A Sister for Enzo ...?

LuckyPierre

A Sister for Enzo ...?

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:00 pm

One of the ladies in the Infront Hartley team liked the look of Enzo - and asked if I could build something similar for her. So, a quick trip to the tip shop was in order to see what I could find.
This was the second frame that I picked up ...
Image Image
Image Image
At this stage, it's had nothing more than a quick squirt and a wipe down.
It only had one wheel (and a very basic one at that) and the seat / post are the usual plastic and steel monsters, but the rest of it seems pretty sound.
A nicely shaped no-name but Cinelli look-alike stem, alloy bars, Shimano indexed 6-speed down tube shifters and SIS derailleurs, Diacompe brakes and alloy cranks.
Tange Infinity (there's the link to Enzo) frame, cro-mo forks and Tange bottom bracket and headset.
It's metallic purple with white highlights and the paintwork has only minor scrapes - it should polish up pretty well.
Now all she's got to do is to decide whether or not to try and get a Campagnolo groupset / wheels like Enzo or go with Shimano (I've got a full Exage groupset - the anodised blue ones). Oh, and whether to stay 6-speed or reset the rear stays and move up a bit.
It probably isn't all that old - the only real clues (other than the usual meaningless serial numbers) are that the store sticker on the frame has a pre-8 digit phone number. I can't remember when the change to 8 digits happened, but I remember it happening! Failing that, it's a local store so I could always ask if they have any idea when they would have sold it. I suppose the 6-speed SIS shifters are some sort of clue too, but I don't know when they started to phase out.
I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:41 am

Good score Pierre.

It's quite amazing how excited we get over something that somebody else saw as a liability, & discarded as rubbish.
Some lovely stuff has been recovered from the side of the road & from rubbish tips.
Cludence's 'all Campy' 'all alloy' ALAN bike would have to be the score of the decade. It wasn't all that long ago that you could have sold tickets just to let people touch it, yet in two short decades it had fallen from grace in somebody's eyes to the point that it was just dumped. [Should be a flogging offense]

Never mind, as long as these treasures keep geting found & rejuvenated, then riden & enjoyed, then there is hope for mankind yet.
The best part is the acquisition cost, the best fun [for me] is the rebuild.

Lets see many more of these treasures rescued.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:15 am

There's a lot of fun and satisfaction to be had from 'messing around with bikes' - and some genuine 'surprises. Cludence's Alan is a truly gorgeous thing.

I think that phone number thing points to the mid- to late-90's, but I wan't looking for age with this bike, just the right size (and the link to Enzo didn't hurt).
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:22 am

Good find there Peter. Is the photo accurate for colour? She's a looker if it is.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it