chain question

swaz

chain question

Postby swaz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:11 pm

I am converting an old road bike to a single speed and want to keep the decent Araya wheel set it has.
If I get one of these cassette conversion kits will they fit a 6 speed free hub? Also, will the chain on there are the moment work with the single cog on the back and the front chain ring?

moreegolfer

Re: chain question

Postby moreegolfer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 pm

I've got a Wippermann single speed chain in great nick plus a single speed cog (I think it is 16T but can check) and spacers. If you want it I'd sell it as my single speed experiment went sour.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 pm

swaz wrote:I am converting an old road bike to a single speed and want to keep the decent Araya wheel set it has.
If I get one of these cassette conversion kits will they fit a 6 speed free hub? Also, will the chain on there are the moment work with the single cog on the back and the front chain ring?
Remove old cassette.
Spin on new freewheel.
Check chain line and correct if needed. This is done by swapping spacers from either side of the hub to move the cog into the right spot, and then redishing the wheel (ajusting the spokes) to get the rim back in the centre of the forks. Chain line is not critical on a single speed, just think of how far out it sometimes is on a geared bike. It is critical on fixed gear, but not on something with a freewheel.

Of these, by far the hardest is getting the sodding cassette off - they have a habit of freezing on, and that is often a bike shop job. Redishing the wheels is easy but if you have to take the thing to the bike shop, it's not unreasonable to ask them to redish the wheel as well.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

europa wrote:Of these, by far the hardest is getting the sodding cassette off - they have a habit of freezing on, and that is often a bike shop job.
I've never encountered a freewheel stuck too strongly for a 1m bit of pipe ;)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 pm

lethoso wrote:
europa wrote:Of these, by far the hardest is getting the sodding cassette off - they have a habit of freezing on, and that is often a bike shop job.
I've never encountered a freewheel stuck too strongly for a 1m bit of pipe ;)
The last two that went to the bike shop exceeded that :wink:

Actually, the first of the two was a real hoot. The mechanic smirked and tried the normal tool - failed. Put on an extension - failed. Got out the 1m lump of water pipe - failed. At this point, you could tell it didn't matter what I said, he WAS going to get that thing off and off it came after he grubbed around for an even longer bit of pipe.

After that, I try to get the things off, if they're stubborn, I just go straight to the lbs. In each case, the cassette was removed for free while I waited ... though in each case, I also bought a few bits and pieces while there. I find such politeness pays in all sorts of ways.

Then, of course, you get the cassettes that just come off without even being coerced. Then there was the time I stripped the threads on a crank because I didn't realise until too late that the puller was bottoming on the crank, not the bb :roll:

Ain't bike mechanics fun 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it