Please explain.

Apple

Please explain.

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi,
I have been on this forum for a while, but have not visited the fixed gear section. Can someone please explain to me what that means. Is it one a big 53 ring at the front and an 11 at the back?
My other question is who rides these sorts of bike and what for? Training, fun, flat riding.etc
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Please explain.

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Who rides these things, and why, is a question that can never be answered. It's a dark and mysterious cycling underworld.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:15 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Who rides these things, and why, is a question that can never be answered. It's a dark and mysterious cycling underworld.
You cannot be sirrus :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Apple wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:Who rides these things, and why, is a question that can never be answered. It's a dark and mysterious cycling underworld.
You cannot be sirrus :wink:
well only HE can... :lol:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:23 pm

G'Day Apple.

FG bikes have no freewheel, when the bike is moving the cranks are turning. No coast for you!

Gearing is riders choice, a lot of the bikes I've seen seem to run about a 44/16.

As to why? Good question. Some of it will be a kulcha thing, some down to the constant effort required being a better workout. Many riders claim they feel more a part of the machine than on a geared bike.
Based on my own very limited experience, it feels different in a good kinda way but hills hurt more. Not that that's stopping me slowly building me own up.

Clear as mud? Sorry, it's the best I've got. So far... :oops:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Apple wrote:Hi,
I have been on this forum for a while, but have not visited the fixed gear section. Can someone please explain to me what that means. Is it one a big 53 ring at the front and an 11 at the back?
My other question is who rides these sorts of bike and what for? Training, fun, flat riding.etc
Head to your nearest velodrome and watch some track cycling :wink:
No brakes , no coasting.

For the road read sheldon http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Why?

I tried it and liked it. I still like it. It's a different skill set and different way of riding to riding with a freewheel and it suits me. I also enjoy riding bikes with gears but at the moment, an riding only fixed.

Then one must conside this sage advice (from, I think, a Frenchman who's name I also fail to remember) - 'tis better to succed by the strength of one's legs than to resort to the artifice of a derailleur

Richard
and no, it doesn't make any sense, but neither does kitting yourself in fancy dress and riding a plastic bike in an apparently uncompromising position :wink:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:17 pm

europa wrote:

and no, it doesn't make any sense, but neither does kitting yourself in fancy dress and riding a plastic bike in an apparently uncompromising position :wink:
True...but both fixed gear,and lycra/carbon are eminently fashionable now a days :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:18 pm

I ride one for commuting and some of my training
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 am

brauluver wrote:
No brakes , no coasting.

Are you saing there are no brakes on these bikes :shock:
So would you use them on hills and how on earth do you stop without breaks. You have all got me so intrigued I am heading off to the local bike shop to see if they have one.
My impression of a fixed is what my kids had as a first bike.
You still didn’t tell me how many teeth are on the front cog and the back cog. Or do they differ depending on what you want.
I will also be reading Sheldonbrown, thank you for the link :D

I am confuses with the coasting thing?

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:22 am

theyre the cycling equivilent of man scarfes on a 20 degree day. Trendy (stupid) and pointless, and most of them are more concerned with looks than function. They do have a coolness factor though I have to admit

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 am

I respect the right for people to ride these but the way I see it, gears and brakes were invented for a reason. They make riding a bike easier, safer and they do not add significant weight, especially if you're just cruising down to the Apple shop to use the free WiFi.

I'm all for lightweight simplicity - I drive a Lotus that has no doors or heaters but it has brakes!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 am

The Womble wrote:theyre the cycling equivilent of man scarfes on a 20 degree day. Trendy (stupid) and pointless, and most of them are more concerned with looks than function. They do have a coolness factor though I have to admit
How do you equate "cool factor" and "trendy"?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 am

sogood wrote:
The Womble wrote:theyre the cycling equivilent of man scarfes on a 20 degree day. Trendy (stupid) and pointless, and most of them are more concerned with looks than function. They do have a coolness factor though I have to admit
Yeah, the 'cool' comment sorta negated the 'trendy' comment...

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 am

yehuda wrote:
sogood wrote:
Yeah, the 'cool' comment sorta negated the 'trendy' comment...
They are cool to look at if theyre perdy, but I didnt buy a fixie just coz everyone else had one like half, ney, most of them. Half those guys would struggle to ride safely on a fully equipped bike but they buy these things instead

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 am

I havent bought one at all actually. Surely theyd still look perdy with an old set of Campy calipers and levers though. Bring the bling back out of retirement and put them to work rather than having them gathering dust somewhere :idea:

jwg

Postby jwg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 am

europa wrote: 'tis better to succed by the strength of one's legs than to resort to the artifice of a derailleur
Just to complete that quote
I still feel that varable gears are only for people over forty-five.
Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer?
We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!
--Henri Desgrange, L'Équipe article of 1902

No offence to anyone :D

yeah but for me riding fixed is for the absolute near to zero chance of anything braking/coming loose/squeaking etc... plus they are pretty nice looking bikes :)
dont get me wrong, i love geared bikes as i do a bit of long distance touring and such as well. just riding fixed for commuting in a reasonably flat environment makes sense

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 am

No argument about the simplicity of a fixie as a commuter in flat areas but I would use a freewheel hub and brake. :P This is how my GT Cruiser is setup.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:37 am

europa wrote:Then one must conside this sage advice (from, I think, a Frenchman who's name I also fail to remember) - 'tis better to succed by the strength of one's legs than to resort to the artifice of a derailleur
Well, there goes all the motivations to improve bike efficiency. Yet again, that came from some crazy french dude. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

Apple wrote:
brauluver wrote:
No brakes , no coasting.

Are you saing there are no brakes on these bikes :shock:
So would you use them on hills and how on earth do you stop without breaks. You have all got me so intrigued I am heading off to the local bike shop to see if they have one.
My impression of a fixed is what my kids had as a first bike.
You still didn’t tell me how many teeth are on the front cog and the back cog. Or do they differ depending on what you want.
I will also be reading Sheldonbrown, thank you for the link :D

I am confuses with the coasting thing?
Hi apple

That is correct. On a velodrome, all bikes are fixed (ie as long as the wheel turns the cranks turn) and there are no brakes. As it is a controlled environment, so long as nobody has brakes, everybody is more predictable. Remember a velodrome is generally a closed short track with no real hills.

When the race is finished, to stop you simply slow your pedalling.

The gear ratio (cogs) are whatever you want. The type of track riding dictates what gear ratio you want. Whether it is sprinting or a longer distance race, the ratios can change.

Coasting on a normal road bike means that when you stop pedalling, you simply roll or coast along. On a fixed gear bike, the cranks turn while the wheels turn. There is not really a lot of rest time.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 pm

sogood wrote:
europa wrote:Then one must conside this sage advice (from, I think, a Frenchman who's name I also fail to remember) - 'tis better to succed by the strength of one's legs than to resort to the artifice of a derailleur
Well, there goes all the motivations to improve bike efficiency. Yet again, that came from some crazy french dude. :roll:
ah but if all cyclists were really concerned with efficiency wouldnt they be on recumbents instead of fancy carbon?

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Well I really want to try one. I think Centennial Park would be the best place for it. I don't know if I am going through a mid life crisis but somehow I feel like riding a bike like that.
I actually move to an area which is relatively flat. I have a beautiful Italian racing bike with dura ace components for the hills and long distance riding; I think it would be lovely to get a simple bike like a fixed, like those women’s bikes for shopping, is it doable, I don’t need drop handle bars.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:59 pm

I think your love it
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Apple wrote: I think it would be lovely to get a simple bike like a fixed, like those women’s bikes for shopping, is it doable, I don’t need drop handle bars.
like this http://www.myfixedgear.net/peugeot-ladi ... ic-mixte-2

GraemeK

Postby GraemeK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi Apple --plenty of cheap fixe gear bikes around -- try Cell Bikes on line, they have some reasonable quality ones at a realistic price.

Graeme