Commute - Werribee => Williamstown

amy0175

Commute - Werribee => Williamstown

Postby amy0175 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi,

I'm looking at commuting from Werribee to Williamstown and was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice straight forward, relatively flat route to take.

Thanks.

damhooligan

Re: Commute - Werribee => Williamstown

Postby damhooligan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm

amy0175 wrote:Hi,

I'm looking at commuting from Werribee to Williamstown and was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice straight forward, relatively flat route to take.

Thanks.
Ayything between werribee and altona is flat, so it's all good.
And without knowing more details, i would suggest Federation trail.
Easy to follow , and not a lot of traffic.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

amy0175

Postby amy0175 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:35 am

damhooligan wrote: Ayything between werribee and altona is flat, so it's all good.
And without knowing more details, i would suggest Federation trail.
Easy to follow , and not a lot of traffic.
I'm looking at riding from the Heathdale footy oval to Nelson Place.

malnar

Postby malnar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:24 am

I commute to the city via the Federation Trail. To get onto it from there just cross Derrimut Rd, ride down the shared path, get onto Powell Drive which leads to Hoppers station. Cross the train tracks and Old geelong Rd & your're on the Federation Trail. You can stay on the Fed Trail all the way to Millers Rd, Brooklyn. Turn right into Millers Rd. From there I'm not sure what's the best route but I'm pretty sure getting off Millers Rd would be the thing to do (eg left into Clematis Av, Right at Kyle Rd, etc. Check the street directory from there or see what others here have to say.

Alternatively you could exit the Fed Trail at Geelong Rd, Brooklyn. This is what I do. I then ride on the Geelong Rd service lane, go under the railway line via the pedestrian underpass and turn right into Somerville Rd (it has a bike lane). You could turn right at Williamstown Rd which obviously leads to Willie.

As you probably know, the Federation Trail is being extended past Millers Rd to Williamstown Rd. Opening in several months, I think.

igstar

Postby igstar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am

As damhooligan suggested, take the Federation trail all the way to Millers Rd. There is a new set of traffic lights installed at the end, so it's easy to cross Millers Rd. Go down Millers Rd and turn left on Mason Street. Continue to Maddox Rd and turn right (roundabout at petrol station). Next roundabout turn left into Jubilee St. Go straight, cross trainline and you'll end up on Champion Rd. This will take you to Ferguson St. After the big roundabout, cross another trainline and continue straight on to Nelson Place.

amy0175

Postby amy0175 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll check it out.

malnar

Postby malnar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Actually another way altogether would be to get on the South side of the freeway. You could do this by heading south on the Federation Trail (alongside Hoppers Lane) left onto Sneydes Rd, left into Pt Cook Rd, right at Central Av which becomes Queen St, then get on the coastal trail which leads to Willie. There might be shared path along some of these roads, not sure, I've never ridden there.

Another way to get south of the freeway would be to take the Forsyth Rd overpass. Heaps of traffic scrambling to get on the freeway in peak hour. Again, I've never done that overpass, but I know cyclists do do it. Once you've done the overpass I think there's a sealed shared path along the Skeleton creek which might be useful for part of the journey to Willie.

I really need to checkout the south side of the freeway myself.....