Anti puncture system for wife's commute?

Comedian

Anti puncture system for wife's commute?

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 am

Look I know this is an odd topic. Basically the wife wants to give cycle commuting a go. She would rather not have to stop and repair a puncture. I know it's possible that she could do it, but we'd rather avoid it at all costs. She has a nexus hub on the bike which adds complexity to the changing process for the rear, and at any rate in that schedule who has time for a flat? She could be trained to fix a flat, but it would be difficult and I'd be less popular. :mrgreen:

She will be riding from home to the school, then to the kindy (towing a trailer), and then to the Brisbane CBD. It will be a mix of footpaths, back streets, and bike paths. Personally I haven't seen too much glass on the route but it only takes one numbnut. The tires are Kenda Kwick Trax 700x38c.

So, my question is, what would you do to minimise the chance of punctures? Do those sealant things meaningfully work? Are there more armoured tyres that would be better? If so I'm happy to replace them and I'll use them up on my bike.

whitey

Re: Anti puncture system for wife's commute?

Postby whitey » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:40 am

There is a long thread somewhere here about changing over to the tubeless tryes with the sealant. Apparently works well once set up. Will try to find it for you. brb

Edit: Check this thread. Lots f info. I will probably try it out once I wear out the current tyres.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 40#p200195

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 pm

Comedian wrote: what would you do to minimise the chance of punctures?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sch ... hon%20plus

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Cool on the schwalbe.

I hadn't even contemplated tubeless tyres.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:04 pm

i also recomment the schwalb marathons.

Combine that with the use of a 'thorn proof' tube, wich is an extra thick tube.
Then you have a good set-up wich would result in good run for no flats.
(keep in mind , no system is fool proof)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Surely she has your mobile phone number? :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Surely she has your mobile phone number? :P
That's a very fair comment. However the problem is that with logistics and all I may well be in town at work (and with limited ability to help) when she has the flat, or busy pedalling to pick up kids myself. 1800-maxi-taxi will definitely be in the phone though.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Comedian wrote:
That's a very fair comment. However the problem is that with logistics and all I may well be in town at work (and with limited ability to help) when she has the flat, or busy pedalling to pick up kids myself. 1800-maxi-taxi will definitely be in the phone though.

Then she really needs to learn how to fix a flat, or at least change a tube.

and keep a packet of baby wipes with her to clean her hands with.
2010 BMC SLC01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:58 pm

hannos wrote:
Comedian wrote:

Then she really needs to learn how to fix a flat, or at least change a tube.

and keep a packet of baby wipes with her to clean her hands with.
So, if I were to fit the schwalbe's, would they be harder for her to replace the tube by the roadside if required?

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Always carry a lock when commuting so that if you cannot be rescued you can lock the bike up and jump in a cab/on a bus and come back for it later - is she going to learn how to replace a spoke, true a wheel, replace cables on the roadside etc as well?

The marathon plus' will last for ages and will probably wear out before she gets a puncture. They may be slightly harder to change tube etc, but if she cannot do the lock thing.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 pm

simonn wrote:The marathon plus' will last for ages and will probably wear out before she gets a puncture. They may be slightly harder to change tube etc, but if she cannot do the lock thing.
Hi

Actually they can and do puncture and they can split as well. They are not bombproof, they may be good but they are not bombproof. I am aware of at least two people who have punctured/split their Schwalbe Marathon tyres in the past six months including one on a tour in the bush and no glass in sight. One should always be prepared for it happening.

Andrew

Max

Postby Max » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Comedian wrote:Do those sealant things meaningfully work?
I've used the sealant goo inside tubes and it really does work. Just find the site of the puncture, remove the object that caused the puncture in the first place, roll the wheel so that the hole is against the road, then give it a few minutes for the goo to fill the hole. Then inflate.

As others have said, ideally, your wife would learn how to replace a tube on the roadside. It's not that tough to do once you get the hang of it. I also recommend those glueless tube repair kits for fixing roadside punctures in the event that you run out of spare tubes.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 pm

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/28inch.html

Wonder what these are like?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Wonder what these are like?
I have only ever heard bad things. You won't puncture though.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 am

Another vote for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, my set has done over 12,000 km with zero punctures.

My wife also runs these & in 2 years has only had 1 puncture - it was a wood screw in the front tyre & it only resulted in a very slow leak. I just removed the screw (needed a screwdriver :shock: ) and patched the small hole in the tube - any other tyre & I would have been replacing both tyre & tube.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 am

Ok.

After reading all of this and talking to her about it she has agreed (reluctantly) to get a set of the Marathons (looks like I've got a set of Kendas to burn on my hybrid). She can help me fit the marathons so hopefully that will be her tyre tube replacing practice in one go. I'll have to leave the bucket cusswords outside and just go and use a few as I need them I guess. :mrgreen:

I like the tubeless idea but we'll see how these puppies go first.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:11 am

No system is 100% puncture proof.

However, using kevlar-belted tyres (such as Schwalbe Tyres) and a thorn-resistant inner tube that has the thicker rubber, will eliminate most of your problems. Broken glass and sharp stones will be repelled by this, but it is still a matter of luck when it comes to nails and wire.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:18 am

You could also try adding some Mr Tuffy liners

http://www.this link is broken/Mr-Tuffy-Bi ... tain-Bikes

Other retailers and similar products are available.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 pm

gavinr wrote:You could also try adding some Mr Tuffy liners

http://www.this link is broken/Mr-Tuffy-Bi ... tain-Bikes

Other retailers and similar products are available.
Hi

I had those fitted to my Giant XTC 2 when I brought it. Didn't make it out of the shop before I had a puncture. The liners went in the bin.

Andrew

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:
gavinr wrote:You could also try adding some Mr Tuffy liners
Hi
I had those fitted to my Giant XTC 2 when I brought it. Didn't make it out of the shop before I had a puncture. The liners went in the bin.
Andrew
I should have said, I fitted them to some previously puncture prone tyres which still had life left in them.

They gave me several puncture free months (in daily commuting use) before I finally upgraded the tyres.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Plenty of advise there;
- good tyres
- thick tubes
- goo

If you get a flat in your car and you don't know how to change it, you call the NRMA or RACV or ? in your state. Does their service extend to bikes?

Otherwise you flag down a passing cyclist who fixes it for you.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:
simonn wrote:The marathon plus' will last for ages and will probably wear out before she gets a puncture. They may be slightly harder to change tube etc, but if she cannot do the lock thing.
Hi

Actually they can and do puncture and they can split as well. They are not bombproof, they may be good but they are not bombproof. I am aware of at least two people who have punctured/split their Schwalbe Marathon tyres in the past six months including one on a tour in the bush and no glass in sight. One should always be prepared for it happening.

Andrew
Andrew my puncture was on the Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres, that is not the same as the Marathon Plus which are extremely puncture resistant. I have some very nice gouges in my Marathon Plus where glass has gotten in and been pushed out again.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 pm

+1 on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus - just make sure you buy the "Marathon Plus Smartguard" and not the standard "Marathon" because they are two different beasts.

I have now covered a combined 13,000km on these tyres without a single puncture (I started with 700x32s and did 6,000km on those, but changed to 700x28s when I got new wheels - the 32s are still on my original wheelset). I ride over all sorts of crap on the motorway and bike paths. My pump just sits there permanently attached to my bike waiting forlornly for the day that it might be used.
If you keep your tyres inflated to the appropriate pressure then it would have to be a rare event to get a puncture. Yes, it is possible to get something through the sidewall, or a big nasty nail through the whole tyre, but you would have to be very very unlucky.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Well I ordered the two Marathon Plus plus a pump and a tube from Cell Bikes. I got home, tore the package open and had one leg out the door to the shed to fit them when I realised they only sent the pump, tube, but only one tyre. We paid for two, and there was two on the invoice but only one in the package??!!

Everybody makes mistakes. I guess we'll see what they are like to deal with tomorrow morning when I call em up. Fingers crossed.

From the one they sent I can see what all the fuss is about. It's a heavy tyre but judging by the thickness of the rubber it would take quite some puncturing.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I sent Cell an email on the weekend and first thing Monday another tyre was posted without question. Thanks Cell, I'll happily deal with those guys again.