snowys region

rockviewau

snowys region

Postby rockviewau » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:51 pm

im going to the snowys in november for the great snowy ride (on motorbikes).... however, im taking the pushbike and none of this engine crap...

im stayin at lake crackenback....

anyone got some good ideas for rides??

was thinking up to perisher return?? or thredbo?? dont know

if peoples have ideas, im happy to listen :)
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

s-s-a

Re: snowys region

Postby s-s-a » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Are you taking the roadie?

- Up to Charlotte Pass (Perisher Rd) and back.
- Up to Dead Horse Gap (top of climb beyond Thredbo) and back.
- If you are really brave, down to the Murray River (massive long and in parts steep descent from Dead Horse Gap) and back.

I have been intending for years to do the "Snowys Loop" which is Jindabyne, Thredbo, Khancoban, Cabramurra, Adaminaby total 300km. I would do it over 3d.

Take plenty of sunscreen and repellant for the HORRIBLE MARCH FLIES that frequent the Snowies in summer.

Make sure you visit Wild Brumby Distillery. We had a relaxed lunch and schnapps tasting there on Australia Day this year.

Steph

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 pm

sure am taking the roadie

wild brumby is already on the hit list dont worry.... had some of the sour apple schnapps.... ohhhhh my, soooo yummy :)
Lucas Hayden

psike

Postby psike » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 pm

NY day this year I did the double climb from Jindabyne - Dead Horse Gap - back down and then up to Charlotte's Pass. Awesome day, but the March Flies ate me alive on some of the steeper sections, alot of incentive to climb fast.

Tom Groggin's is a great climb too. Also advise you take extra water, food and be ready for very variable weather. Down at Fall's Creek in January this year it snowed... and the next day 30+.

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

bella26

Postby bella26 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am

Well I live in the Snowies presently although am moving to Canberra tomorrow...

As has already been mentioned there are some great rides to be had from Jindy to Thredbo/Dead Horse Gap (or down to Tom Groggin if you want to go up a climb that would reduce me to tears!!!). Jindy to Perisher or Charlotte's Pass is also a really really good ride. It's tough as it is roughly 40kms all uphill with a few nice downhill sections thrown in the mix. The road surface is perfect though - nice smooth hot mix asphalt and fairly wide shoulders. There isn't too much traffic on the road either so you hear cars from a ways away.

There is also a well known loop which the locals ride which is about 80kms - Jindy to Dalgety to Berridale and then back to Jindy. Do it in reverse at your peril - massive nasty b!tch of a hill to overcome climbing out from Dalgey back towards Jindy.

Other options are Jindy to Berridale and then turn on to Rocky Plains Road and head to Lake Eucumbene Dam Wall and then on back to Jindy. A few climbs thrown in there although for the most part it's an undulating ride. Rocky Plains Road and Eucumbene Road are great for riding and there are heaps of locals who use it as their prime training roads here.

One thing I would say though is that riding on these roads during the snowy ride is horrible. Although most motorbike riders are great and obey the road rules you do get a fair share of wahoo's who are absolute terrors on the road. Generally this is the one weekend of the year that I avoid going out on the roadie...
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:25 pm

heya bella,

cheers for the in depth insight into the snowies riding... the trip out to dalgety looks good, and off the snowys trip route.
as haks said in another thread, we should do a group ride soon, and u should come join us if ur new to canberra!!

Lucas
Lucas Hayden