Counting down the days...

moosterbounce

Counting down the days...

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Perth Bike Ride next weekend :D

So...hands up if you haven't done enough training to get the time you were hoping to get? :oops:

Were we going to meet up before/after for a chat?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I have no idea what time I'm hoping to get. But it's only 50km that I'm treating as a social ride with a few of my friends .... I've got a LOT of friends! ;)

I won't be hanging around for long after the event. I need to ride back to Freo to open the gallery by about midday. However, I'm happy to catch up for a drink or two along the way.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Anybody want to ride to Freo after the event?)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cricetidae

Counting down the days

Postby cricetidae » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 pm

:(

It would be so nice to not be rostered when this is on. One year it might happen.

Be nice to see some pics posted of any of the Perthites doing the ride.

Have fun, ride safe..

Todd

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:29 am

Have to go over east for work next weekend so won't be able to do it :( - not happy because had actually done a decent amount of training on the new carbon machine and was looking at sub 3:30.

Looks like I might be going to Melb next spring, so will try to line that trip up with the ATB - that will certainly keep the motivation for training up if I sign up for the 250!

JB

Postby JB » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:31 am

Doing it for the 1st time.

My main objective is not not be involved in any majot pile-ups...sounds a bit negative but I have heard some horror stories of weekend warriors getting a bit carried away.

Done a wee practice loop a few weeks ago (well 40km of it) in approx 1.45hrs cruising it failrly comfortably until the last 7 km when we pushed it.

Any tips for a 1st timer? - I'm in the second group for the 53km.

nimm

Postby nimm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:23 pm

I'm all ready to go, first time for me as well and I haven't had a chance to ride the course yet unfortunately. However, I have been picking up my training rides this month which were preceded by 2 months of very lazy riding.

The website says we have a 7:40am start for the 53km ride, although i think that'll be broken up into further groups? No additional info on the website though. Maybe when we pickup our ride kits or on the day.

I plan to get there about 7am...
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 pm

Ride kit collection info here: http://www.greatbikeride.com.au/event_kit.html
No kit collection on the day.

Double-Gee

Re: Counting down the days...

Postby Double-Gee » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:33 pm

moosterbounce wrote: So...hands up if you haven't done enough training to get the time you were hoping to get?
I've got a new saddle that I haven't broken in, my wife is full of the flu and I'm a bit wheezy, but my son and my mate are both keen, so no getting out of it now. Work has paid for me to do the 53km, so I will give it my best shot (at surviving the course). If I can do it in under 2 hours I will be more than happy.

I'm in Grid Q, my son ended up in Grid S and my mate is in Grid V.

I haven't had much experience in riding with the masses so I think I will be breathing a bit better once we get away from the start. I'm looking forward to see how smoothly they get approx 80 - 100 people away at 1 minute intervals. :D

I've had a look at the nasty hill (Johnson Parade) in Mosman Park and I have been told to go wide on the right hand side as most people try to fly up the inside and get taken by surprise - I know I did.

Good luck and a safe and fun ride to the thousands who will be there.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:31 pm

I'm hoping someone that has done this event before can help me. With the stickers that were in the ride kit we are to put the two small ones on our helmets and the single sticker on the bike. Where do we locate this sticker on our bike and are the helmet stickers to go front and back or on the sides?

Many thanks and I hope everyone has a great ride. I'm really looking forward to it.

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:09 pm

I am taking the stickers with me and will stick them on when we get there. Left and right sides sound good for and also so you can leave the front clear for the orange sticker if you believe yourself to be photogenic. :D

My mate was horrified when I told him the large sticker is for the bike. I'm not exactly sure where and how it is meant to be attached, but am thinking of just attaching both ends of the sticker together around the relevant part and not having any sticky parts on the bike. Guess we will find out in the morning ?
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:14 pm

That's my plan too. Just take em with me and copy what the guru's are doing.

Thanks.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Cambo,

Tomorrow will be my first one too. I'm just going to stick it on when I get there. I'll see what everyone else is doing and follow the crowd, so to speak.

I'm in group K, so anybody J, K or L - say g'day to the bloke dressed in a black shirt and shorts riding a yellow recumbent. That'll be me! And if you're coming up behind to overtake, I've got a brand new yellow helmet and a black bag on the back of my seat. Say hello, but if you hear me puffing, don't be surprised if I tell you to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!! :D

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Grm,

I doubt very much that I'll catch up from starting grid EE. What sort of speed do you do on the recumbent?

I'll look out for you and say g'day. I'll be on the black and orange Giant TCR A2 in a red sleevless jersey.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 pm

The stickers are the same as the freeway ride - helmet ones go on the sides, and the big one either goes around your seatpost (good luck with that one Graeme :) ). Mine doesn't fit on my seatpost, so I have it on the top tube. It is possible with some fancy scissor work to trim the edge bits and not have any sticky stuff on the bike :D .

Last year, they didn't have stickers - you had a number pinned to your jersey front and back. I preferred that, but many hated it. Would be easier to draw a number on like a triathlon.

I think we are in group T which I'm not real happy about as I wanted to start earlier in the day (not 8am) and get home to do some stuff!! We signed up the week it opened, so don't know how they worked out the groups!!

Mr Moo has just finished a course of antibiotics for a ear thing but still has it so watch out for that flu as it "develops".

My goal is to catch Graeme :D and beat Mr Moo :D

Oh year...I'll be on the Scott with a red jersey (and quite possibly a red face depending on how far into the race you see me :oops: ).

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Yeah, I have no idea how they worked out the grid. I only signed up last weekend and I'm starting only 6 minutes after the first bunch in the 53km ride leave. One of the guys in the WAHPV group (mainly 'bents) takes off in group LL. I told them I was on a 'bent, too. Weird ....

I think I'll just put my sticker on the riser for the handle bars, but it may be on the frame itself. The sticky stuff comes off with metho or isopropyl alcohol, if I recall correctly.

Moo, you'll still be able to do stuff with the rest of the day - that's why we have daylight savings! :wink: :twisted: Just ride faster and you'll finish sooner .....

Cambo, I tend to cruise along at around 30km/h. I can't see that being much different tomorrow.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

nimm

Postby nimm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:12 am

I'm in group L (rider No. 1907) so should see you Graeme.

Moo I'm sure the groups are based on one of the questions which was what your expected ride speed to be (35+, 30-35, ?-30, etc...). I selected 30-35 - but maybe I'm wrong =)
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:22 am

That makes sense Nimm. They worded it strangely though: "Do you expect to ride >25-30km/h?" Surely they should have asked what speed range we expect to ride within, eg "do you ride between 25 and 30km/h?"

My number is 1851.

Cheers,
Graeme
(who is definitely going to bed now ....)
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:11 pm

Good to catch up with Nimm and Moo after the ride this morning. Beautiful conditions for a nice ride around the river! (Cloudy and cool with just a hint of wind).

Had a smile to myself as I passed the finish line. The MC announced over the PA:
That's Graeme Hird crossing the line. A great effort and a real achievement riding that far on that sort of bike. Well done!
Oh, if only he knew what I know ....

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:43 pm

It was more of a 'Superman's underpants' day for me. but the course was completed. My son was tired of waiting for us oldies so he scooted on ahead and completed the 53km in about 2 hours. I had a few walks and my mate waited for me and kept me going. Our time was about 2hr 20mins?

I did see a "his 'n her" couple on Scotts come past me before UWA, and I was tempted to "Moooooooo" as they went past, but didn't want to potentially offend anybody.

2 other Viventes were spotted, so I know they are out there. Was a huge amount of bikes to be seen and I don't know whether I spent more time looking at the road ahead or trying to work out what some of the bikes were?

The new San Marco Rolls did an admirable job and I'm feeling pretty good, apart from being peeved at my lack of stamina for the ride. Guess I had better just keep on putting the miles in.

The Freeway Bike Hike is on Sunday 16th March 2008. Is that the next WA bike event?
"Mark this date in your diary as it is going to be a fantastic day with more than 7,000 participants expected! Double the amount of bikes that we had today!!!

nimm

Postby nimm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Congrats on the ride fellas, i thoroughly enjoyed it and kinda nice with the overcast sky cause it didn't get too hot (although I was worried it was going to rain when I got up in the morning) :)

Who's with me on getting in the kms throughout 2008 and do the 106 next year?!
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:03 pm

nimm wrote:Who's with me on getting in the kms throughout 2008 and do the 106 next year?!
As my mate mentioned today when I asked him the same thing - On the first lap you get to have your ride, and then on the second lap you just do it all again, and hurt. Add to that a 6am start and twice the entry fee...

Get back to me in 11 months or so. :lol:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:58 pm

Ride was ok...as I said earlier we hadn't done much training recently...I managed 2 rides of 15km for the last 2 weeks so I had a worst case and a best case time in my head. I came in 1 minute under my worst case...hmmm!! And Mr Moo beat be...and I didn't catch Graeme...and I ended up having to walk up the Mossie Park hill after the chick in front of me yelled "Stopping!!" and then did!! Why didn't she yell "Pulling over to the left and then stopping!!" :?

I was a bit grumpy actually :( and will be putting in a big effort for the Freeway Ride in March.

BUT!! I didn't crash unlike some, didn't end up in an ambo unlike some, didn't get a puncture unlike many (despite poking my tongue at the Black Cat by putting on a new set of GP4000's on Saturday night), and didn't chuck my guts up at the top of the hill in Mossie Park unlike some...so I was pretty successful really :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 am

Were people really chuckin' up on that hill? :shock: Yeah, it's steep, but it's not very long. I think some people need to train a little more. :roll: Glad I got past it before the sickly folk did. That would have been the last thing I wanted to see at the top of the hill!
---------------------

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:16 am

I got there in the end. Will be interested to see my time.

I went out hard, never ridden with anyone else before so enjoyed the draft. Hacked our way through the crowd until the first turn onto Stirling Highway. This was a considerable climb for me having been on the bike for a total of 500k's to date. Little did I know!! Enjoyed the downhill run along the river but then the big climb came all too fast. I got about half way there before I discovered that I simply did not have enough gears and had to get off and walk. At that point I also found that walking the hill was extraordinarily difficult, particularly on jelly legs.

The rest of the journey was by comparison easy even though I didn't get the full effects of the downwind run along the freeway as promised by the announcer.

I really enjoyed the day and as expected I really enjoyed riding in close quarters to others. The work that must have gone in to organising the event would have been immense and to everyone involved I am grateful.

I hope you guys all enjoyed the event and I look forward to riding in the Freeway Bike Ride but in the meantime I need to find a group ride.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 am

I saw you come through the finish Cambo - you didn't look too bad :wink:

I tried to make my way over to you, but it wasn't easy and I lost you in the crowd.

DGee - wasn't me on the his and hers Scott's. Mr Moo has a Giant (Oh the shame!! :wink: ). Wouldn't you have felt odd "Moo-ing" and finding it wasn't me?! Hee hee!! In fact, that would be so funny that if anyone does Moo at me, I'm going to deny it :P

One of my Danes is black and white and we call her Moo Doo (I reckon Doo is the surname of every Great Dane thanks to the great Scooby). Anyway, I've moo-ed at her a couple of times and each time she looks at me funny then bites my nose!! Maybe she does know what I'm saying :?