http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MM ... x?id=71320
Joint Statement:
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cycle from Caboolture to Coolangatta and Cleveland to Ipswich

Cyclists will be able to cycle on a bikeway network from Caboolture to Coolangatta and Cleveland to Ipswich under a new State Government plan.

The 20 year Integrated Regional Transport Plan, which is expected to be released this week, outlines a tantalising vision of a two wheeled future for the region.

Premier Anna Bligh said the active transport section contains ambitious targets for cycling in south east Queensland including a 3000 km network of cycleway by 2031 including new bikeways and walkways within a 5km radius of urban centres.

“This plan is a clear statement of intent. We recognise the importance of cycling to travel in the region and we will work to make this vision a reality,” she said.

“The plan outlines targets for rail and roads as well but cycling has been given more prominence than ever before.

“When we published our first integrated plan in 1997 to build dedicated busways in SEQ there wasn’t a single kilometre of dedicated busway in the State.

“Today we have 24 km of dedicated busways in Brisbane, more than any other city in Australia and more under construction right now.

“This new plan is visionary, but I believe our experience with the busways shows that when you have a plan you can make it happen.”

The Premier said the Integrated Regional Transport Plan to be released this week would:

•Prioritise quality walking and cycling paths within five kilometres of major activity centres like Logan Hyperdome and within two kilometres of local schools and Universities.
•End-of-trip facilities like bike storage, showers and lockers in public transport centres and new buildings similar to the existing facilities at King George Square and the Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital.
•Outline trials of ‘Green Pods’ at select rail stations. Green Pods are high quality end-of-trip facility for up to 28 cyclists, all in an area the size of a single car space.
“We want to double the share of walking or cycling trips from 10 per cent of all trips to 20 per cent during the next 20 years,” said the Premier.

“We could meet this target if each of us changed just two of our 25 trips a week from driving to walking or cycling.

“If you give cyclists a network of connected bike and walking paths, separated from busy roads, I firmly believe people will choose to cycle more often.”

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said only 10 per cent of the 9.2 million trips south east Queensland residents are taking each day are by walking or riding a bike.

“Cycling in fact only accounts for one per cent of all trips taken, but nearly half of all south east Queenslanders have access to a bike,” she said.

“Nearly 90 per cent of us live within five kilometres of a major business or employment centre, and half of all our car trips are for journeys this distance or less.

“It only takes 15 to 20 minutes to cycle five kilometres – compared to driving, battling traffic and finding a car park, cycling is a real alternative.

“That’s why we’re working on a strategy to help south east Queenslanders get on their bikes.”

Ms Nolan said active transport for school journeys had changed dramatically in the past 40 years.

“In 1970 nearly half of students walked or cycled to school, now only about one quarter do,” she said.

The State Government has already committed $556 million until 2026 for the development of the cycle routes, completing missing links in the South East Queensland Principal Cycle Network Plan.

The active transport targets reflect and reinforce outcomes of the Queensland Government’s Growth Management Summit, held in March 2010.
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

The Womble

Re: Latest Qld Release about cycle network

Postby The Womble » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Its encouraging to see them strongly promoting cycling and its potential with this release, BUT, the state government is in massive damge control as well with a state election looming and such a poor Labour showing at federal level recently. They could be hoping to capture a driver vote with announcing plans to get cyclists off the roads while creating a better environment for us as well.
Still, it is a step in some direction :)

I tried not to make it too political for the Mod's

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 am

Bumped for the Queenslanders. Its worth reading :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for the network....in 2013, I'll be at almost retirement age with lots of time to explore the 3000k of bike paths I guess :shock:

Anna mentioned busways....now there's an idea, have a dedicated cycle path running next to any further busways....a much better alternative to the mess that is the bikeway alongside the M1/SE Freeway, the section from Gaza Rd to Tarragindi section is a joke :roll:
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Well I'm not holding my breath as it would appear the northside is just too hard to be bothered with in general. It's only the southside that gets the flashy infrastructure.

The only way I'll be able to avoid cars and doors when getting to work will be to move I think.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Seen the light have we? I have never figured out why the power people at George Street never put in a Freeway for the northside all those years ago when they did the SE Freeway :roll:

Number one reason why I've always been a southside gal :wink:

You can keep Gympie Rd to yourselves!
Lisa

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:36 pm

marinmomma wrote:Seen the light have we? I have never figured out why the power people at George Street never put in a Freeway for the northside all those years ago when they did the SE Freeway :roll:
well look at how the southside turned out, it's a wasteland where you have to drive to get anywhere. Good thing they didn't put one in on the north :D

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:45 am

lethoso wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Seen the light have we? I have never figured out why the power people at George Street never put in a Freeway for the northside all those years ago when they did the SE Freeway :roll:
well look at how the southside turned out, it's a wasteland where you have to drive to get anywhere. Good thing they didn't put one in on the north :D
You North Siders are just soooo bitter and twisted arent you? Sitting on the front porch in your rocking chairs, throwing stones at small children and carrying on about the Great Depression :?

Max

Postby Max » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:46 am

The northside has its fair share of flashy infrastructure. Moreton Bay Cycleway, Kedron Brook path etc. The inner north, particularly, has quiet routes into the city. Sure, we don't have a huge western freeway style path, but then again, we don't have a western freeway style freeway to go with it, either. :?

I don't think 20 years is unreasonable for some of what's been proposed here. 3000Km of cycleway. That's not gonna happen overnight!

What bugs me about the proposal though, is ".. within five kilometres of major activity centres .." - does that mean another set of paths that go nowhere and force mum/dad/people who don't like cars to go play with traffic? We really need bike paths that go to useful places!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 am

The Queensland government has a long tradition of failing to deliver its promises.

It also has a long tradition of failing of take notice of the people that know what they are talking about, in so many areas.

So will the Queensland government actually discuss these plans/proposals with cyclists who actually use bikes in their day to day lives ?

Let's hope so. :?

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 am

Another good question would be whether the Minister for Transport Rachel Nolan, will actually respond to the 2 tabled 1 metre cycling petitions today. Its due for a response by today, and theyve had it for 30 days now. Starting to wonder if the press release is a pile of poo myself as well. At least I know where her office is now. Mwahahaaaa :twisted:

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm

I have read through most of the Draft document. It isn't to bad but like most documents it is very sparse in detail.

My main concern is that some things are taking far to long to get done eg the Bicentennial Bikeway upgrade.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

gordy

Postby gordy » Sat May 07, 2011 11:19 am

Not to sure where to put this without starting a new thread.
It looks like the latest extension to the SE Freeway bikeway is open.
It's between Miles Platting Rd and Logan Rd, opposite the Glen Hotel at Eight Mile Plains.
I had a close look last weekend and there was just a spoon drain that needed finishing.
It now appears to be finished.

Comedian

Latest Qld Release about cycle network

Postby Comedian » Sat May 07, 2011 11:30 am

Blah blah blah.. Not a single off road option for anyone north of the bris Cbd. Yet people to the south and west have mega $$$ dedicated bike paths and billions of $$$ of cross rider bridges.

Yaaawn

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 am

gordy wrote:Not to sure where to put this without starting a new thread.
It's between Miles Platting Rd and Logan Rd, opposite the Glen Hotel at Eight Mile Plains.
I had a close look last weekend and there was just a spoon drain that needed finishing.

It finishes just up the road from the Glen, underneath the Gateway Extension overpass. To access it when travelling north-bound is going to be tricky...they've installed lights at the intersection at the on-ramp for the south-bound lanes of the Gateway for cyclists to cross over Logan Road.

Not sure that I'd use it travelling north-bound due to the tricky access, except maybe in peak-hour traffic to avoid the large volume of cars using Logan Rd from Miles Platting through to the F1 on-ramp.
Not sure how much use it will have, I hardly see anyone using the Logan Rd to MP Rd section...although I do use it has an alternative way home from the city or coming up from Logan.
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun May 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Drove past the entrance at Miles Platting Rd today, the gates are still up, so the extenstion isn't open yet....it looks like there's still some fencing to be installed!
Lisa

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

marinmomma wrote:
gordy wrote:Not to sure where to put this without starting a new thread.

It finishes just up the road from the Glen, underneath the Gateway Extension overpass. To access it when travelling north-bound is going to be tricky...they've installed lights at the intersection at the on-ramp for the south-bound lanes of the Gateway for cyclists to cross over Logan Road.

Not sure that I'd use it travelling north-bound due to the tricky access, except maybe in peak-hour traffic to avoid the large volume of cars using Logan Rd from Miles Platting through to the F1 on-ramp.
Not sure how much use it will have, I hardly see anyone using the Logan Rd to MP Rd section...although I do use it has an alternative way home from the city or coming up from Logan.

If you are travelling northbound they have installed bike lights just after RACQ and at the entrance to Gateway southbound ramp. This allows you to pull over (just after RACQ), hit the lights, cross over and on to the bike path that starts where the southbound Gateway exit is.

I live up behind RACQ and travel down Levington St on my commute into the City so hanging out for this to open.

Also stops me from going through tech park and getting hammered by the maggie that lives around the Gateway Motorway offices so I am sure it will be open before August :)

cheers

Dave

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 pm

dclnmurray wrote:Also stops me from going through tech park and getting hammered by the maggie that lives around the Gateway Motorway offices so I am sure it will be open before August :)

cheers

Dave
With any luck it should be open by then...the sign at the MP Rd end states Feb 2011 :roll:
Lisa

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Wed May 11, 2011 7:31 am

I rode past the exit (opposite Glen Hotel) last night and pleased to say the pathway is all lit up with nice lights. So won't be too dark along that stretch.

Dave

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Emailed the project team and received this

Thank you for your email of 13 May 2011 about Stage B of the Veloway 1 cycleway from Miles Platting Road to the Gateway Motorway off-ramp at Eight Mile Plains. This stage is expected to be open to the public by this Friday 20 May, 2011.
I trust this information is of assistance.
Kind regards

The Communications Team

cheers

Dave

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Wed May 18, 2011 11:41 am

Comedian wrote:Blah blah blah.. Not a single off road option for anyone north of the bris Cbd. Yet people to the south and west have mega $$$ dedicated bike paths and billions of $$$ of cross rider bridges.

Yaaawn
Thats because Northsiders are resistant to change. :roll: :lol:

We're all convict scum south of the river.... :mrgreen:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 am

dclnmurray wrote:Emailed the project team and received this

Thank you for your email of 13 May 2011 about Stage B of the Veloway 1 cycleway from Miles Platting Road to the Gateway Motorway off-ramp at Eight Mile Plains. This stage is expected to be open to the public by this Friday 20 May, 2011.
I trust this information is of assistance.
Kind regards

The Communications Team

cheers

Dave

Nope, the gates are still up at the Miles Platting Rd end, rode past there this morning...maybe they meant to say 20th June??
Lisa

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Fri May 27, 2011 3:25 pm

I received this email today (27th May) from the project team

Dear Mr Murray
Thank you for your follow up email of 25 May 2011 about the opening of Stage B of the Veloway 1 cycleway from Miles Platting Road to the Gateway Motorway off-ramp at Eight Mile Plains. The Department of Transport and Main Roads is pleased to confirm that this stage was opened yesterday and is now available for public use.
Kind regards,

Funny, I rode back from work and the fencing was well and truly across the Miles Platting Road end at 6pm last night. :?

Dave

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Drove past there tonight, it looks like they've taken the gates down...but it was dark!

Their expected dates are very fluid :roll:
Lisa

aj37

Postby aj37 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:19 am

I see the discussions re. "Stage B of the Veloway 1 cycleway from Miles Platting Road to the Gateway Motorway off-ramp at Eight Mile Plains." I can confirm it is open. I rode it on Saturday morning and again yesterday, very nice! However try to avoid using the lights/crossing that links the bikway accross Miles platting road. Each time I do I am yelled at, usually by guys in utes! :shock: