Online training diary?

Jean

Online training diary?

Postby Jean » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi,

In my hey day I used to keep a training log, but these days I'm just logging my kms on Bikejournal for the fun of it. But as I'm getting back to a bit of racing it seems right to get a bit more methodical and detailed about it (without going mad - I'm a 40 year-old punter, no pro).

Aside from sorting out a training plan I'm looking for a good online log. I've found these two:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/personal- ... diary.aspx

http://traininglog.bicycling.com/landingpage.aspx

The first is free in its basic version (but fairly expensive for the premium edition), the second is free all round.

I don't have a power meter (and don't plan to get one despite their obvious value), but will probably get a HRM again in time.

Can anyone suggest any other log/diaries? I could always do a paper one again, but these days something I can easily interrogate seems sensible.

Cheers
Jean

Scuba23

Re: Online training diary?

Postby Scuba23 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Whats wrong with the Bike Journal log? if you go premium you can add extra logging details...
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I like dailymile http://www.dailymile.com/
<removed by request>

Mean Machine

Postby Mean Machine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:08 pm

My Cycling Log. Adheres to a KISS principle.

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:32 am

brought cyclistats for $40:00.. Works for me

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

If you get yourself a Garmin cycling HRM, Training Centre (local desktop) and Garmin Connect (web) are available for free.

I use TC. GC I use only for rides where I want to share details with friends.

Scuba23

Postby Scuba23 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 am

I use cycling log on the Iphone and Bike journal for the PC (although that is mainly for the fit gits comp) - the Iphone is the easiest way I have found an you can email your log to any email address in excel or note pad formats. for only $1.19 it is alot cheaper than bike journal or cyclistats.
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:30 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I like dailymile http://www.dailymile.com/
Hi

Another vote for Daily Mile.

Andrew

digitalformula

Postby digitalformula » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 am

trailgumby wrote:If you get yourself a Garmin cycling HRM, Training Centre (local desktop) and Garmin Connect (web) are available for free.

I use TC. GC I use only for rides where I want to share details with friends.
Interesting. Do you still use GTC? I'm don't know which Garmin HRM you use but it's worth noting (apologies if you already know this) that GTC uses the .TCX file format which doesn't support elements such as temperature. If you have or are considering getting a Garmin Edge 500 for example you won't see the temperature data in GTC - you'll only see it in GC and even then only if you upload directly to GC without uploading to GTC first as that creates a .TCX file that then gets uploaded to GC.

I ran into this when I got my Edge 500 and it took me a couple hours to figure out why I couldn't see the temperature data in any of my workouts.

FYI :)

slownsteady

Postby slownsteady » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 am

If you have an iPhone there is an alternative to the Garmin system. Check out enki sports http://www.enkisports.com/ a fair bit cheaper than the Garmin.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Jean wrote:Hi,

In my hey day I used to keep a training log, but these days I'm just logging my kms on Bikejournal for the fun of it. But as I'm getting back to a bit of racing it seems right to get a bit more methodical and detailed about it (without going mad - I'm a 40 year-old punter, no pro).

Aside from sorting out a training plan I'm looking for a good online log. I've found these two:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/personal- ... diary.aspx

http://traininglog.bicycling.com/landingpage.aspx

The first is free in its basic version (but fairly expensive for the premium edition), the second is free all round.

I don't have a power meter (and don't plan to get one despite their obvious value), but will probably get a HRM again in time.

Can anyone suggest any other log/diaries? I could always do a paper one again, but these days something I can easily interrogate seems sensible.

Cheers
Jean

Interesting thread, till now I have just been using an excel sheet on my iphone to log my rides n runs, but after looking at a few here obviously I need to get myself updated.....

Happy Days are here again
Happy Days

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Dailymile is great :) http://www.dailymile.com/

digitalformula

Postby digitalformula » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Livetoride wrote:Interesting thread, till now I have just been using an excel sheet on my iphone to log my rides n runs, but after looking at a few here obviously I need to get myself updated.....

Yeah - you have quite a few options. For device-specific purposes you can try:

Garmin Training Centre (old & pretty much considered end of life depending on who you talk to)
Garmin Connect
Polar Pro Trainer

For non-device-specific options you could try:

Sports Tracks (Windows)
rubiTrack (Mac, and the one I use when not using Garmin Connect)
Training Peaks (supports a ton of devices from different manufacturers)

Those are the 'main' ones I'd try if looking for something new as I haven't tried any of the others mentioned in this thread. :)

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm

digitalformula wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Interesting thread, till now I have just been using an excel sheet on my iphone to log my rides n runs, but after looking at a few here obviously I need to get myself updated.....

Yeah - you have quite a few options. For device-specific purposes you can try:

Garmin Training Centre (old & pretty much considered end of life depending on who you talk to)
Garmin Connect
Polar Pro Trainer

For non-device-specific options you could try:

Sports Tracks (Windows)
rubiTrack (Mac, and the one I use when not using Garmin Connect)
Training Peaks (supports a ton of devices from different manufacturers)

Thansk mate will check them out, I do really need to get my logging process in order, will make it so much easier to monitor my training and improve.

Thanks

Those are the 'main' ones I'd try if looking for something new as I haven't tried any of the others mentioned in this thread. :)
Happy Days

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:34 am

+1 for Garmin Connect if you get one of their products.
Map My Fitness is also worth a look, and they have iPhone apps that work well with the iPhone gps. Drains the battery quick time though.

Nedlam

Postby Nedlam » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

I use mapmyride.com , the new beta version is great, u can compair ur rides. As I use the same route to work each day I can see if im pushing it or lazy. Then I set myself a hard route,and, can see weather my fitness improves or where I need to improve. Also I can use my galaxy S od my wifes iphone to map new routes. Though the gps maping looks all over the place u can still see where u have been. Its free on pc and mobile. Have a play.
Or try ridewithgps.com ,fast mapping.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm

I've been using googles, "my tracks" operating on my htc desire. Sends the data to a google docs spreadsheet and the route info to google maps.
it's quite basic and hence works well.

date:time of day:total time:moving time:Distance:average speed:average moving speed:maximum speed:elevation gain:minimum elevation: maximum elevation: provides a link to the google mapped route.

+1 for gps draining the phone's battery, but a full charge lasts several hours so that's long enough for me.

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 am

Not an online app but Sporttracks is what I use.
You can upload your activities to online sites such as runsatruday etc.

The only fear that I have with some online sites that if the site is shutdown then the history is gone.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm

A good thing about google docs and my tracks is that you can trust google, they're not evil.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!