27" budget build. What wheels to get?

xrdavo

27" budget build. What wheels to get?

Postby xrdavo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 am

Looking at building up a fixie/SS up from a nice 27" frame a mate has given me. Has anyone had experience with zuzi wheels the're selling on ebay at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 318wt_1073
(Come with tyres and tubes also + free delivery).
Do you think these would suit/fit an older 27" frame? Or should I be looking at 27" wheels. I can get some 27" flip/flop for around $170 but these look a bit old school.
Have always had geared road bikes so am a complete newbie to the fixie world. Just thought I would suck it and see if I like it. Thanks Davo

sbc_runnerkit

Re: 27" budget build. What wheels to get?

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:05 pm

hi, I hv ordered a star wheelset from ebay, as many ppl said they are not good, so i am waiting to look and try it and strongly will change another good one. Still looking around. Anyway, I haven't heard this brand before, i also want to know is there anyone have it and wt's the comment about it....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 am

Seeing this is a 'suck it and see' job, I suggest you start by reading Tom Deakin's article Fixed Gear on the Cheap - it's part of Sheldon Brown's series of articles on fixed gear and that resoure is THE place to start. Read it all.

My Europa started as a simple suicide hub conversion - ie, I took off the gear bits and pieces, spun on a track cog, redished the rear wheel (actually, I didn't have to redish the Europa's rear but I've done it on other bikes, it's not a big deal) and went fixed gear riding.

The thing about a suicide hub is that you have to do up the cog really, really tight (a chain whip isn't enough) because the cog can come undone under back pressure and that's ... exciting. I used to install the chain, put a block of wood betwen the crank and frame, then use the wheel rim to pull the cog on as tight as possible. While some condemn it, it's really only a problem if you use your legs for braking and try skids and the like. I used the brakes and moderate back pressure so it was never a problem for me.

That's the cheapest way of trying it out.

I converted the Europa, found I loved it and THEN went looking for wheels. Rather than ebay, I was able to get a local wheel builder to build me some cheap wheels - novatec hubs with some unknown chinese brand rims - those wheels are still serving the old girl well. The Europa's got to her current state over a period of years, slowly losing old bits (like the spare chainring) and gaining fixed specific bits.

700c wheels will go into your frame easily enough, but the rims are a smaller diameter and you may find your brakes don't reach. Generally, old roadie brakes will reach and Tektro make some very long reach, dual pivot brakes at a decent price so brakes needn't be a problem. This is where you need to cultivate your local fixie shop rather than assuming that ebay will always be cheaper (it's not and it's not as convenient).

You can still get 27" tyres and tubes but they can be hard to find among shops that pander to the modern industry rather than looking after cyclists in general. However, converting to 700c opens up the whole market of tyres.

My recomendation is to spend a happy saturday arvo doing a cheap coversion as described in Tom Deakin's article. This gets you on the road to try it. Once you discover you love it, gradually convert her, using decent parts as you go.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

jwg

Postby jwg » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:49 pm

hey, just on wheel size, i'd really recommend buying 27" wheels. With my conversion I did the thing where I bought a 27" frame and stuck on 700c wheels, but after a while I just kinda got unhappy with the way it looked, just with the space between the rear wheel and the seat tube and so on. I think 27" wheels for a 27" frame is just the best way to go, otherwise the whole thing will look really stretched out.. but you never know sometimes it can work

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:30 pm

I have the same question as you xrdavo.
I am building a fixie / single-speed and I earn reasonable pocket money but I have to watch how I spend it. Value for Money sorta thing...
I need some cheap reliable Fixie / Single-speed Flip Flop hub wheels so not to spend too much money.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:30 pm

jwg wrote:hey, just on wheel size, i'd really recommend buying 27" wheels. With my conversion I did the thing where I bought a 27" frame and stuck on 700c wheels, but after a while I just kinda got unhappy with the way it looked, just with the space between the rear wheel and the seat tube and so on. I think 27" wheels for a 27" frame is just the best way to go, otherwise the whole thing will look really stretched out.. but you never know sometimes it can work
More likely the lazier geometry of a 27 inch frame than anything.Some of those ol clunkers had plenty of space between wheel and seat tube even with 27 wheels.You could fit fatter tyres on 700c with the clearances on a 27 inch frame for a smoother ride.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 pm

I have bought 2 pairs of rims from VeloMine,my dealings with Ben have been greatThe wheelset will cost you approx $120 for Sun alloy rims with SS spokes and Formula hubs,the shipping is the exy part comming in at $75,all up approx $200, a far better option than any lbs or fleabay rubbish,,,,,,,if the frame deserves it and you can afford it.Expect 8-10 days shipping time

Velomine gets a 2 thumbs up rating from me
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

xrdavo

Postby xrdavo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks for the considered replies guys. I'll do more research and let you know how I go.

Davo

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 am

One last thing,

I also found a Star Wheelset for $65 on ebay.

xrdavo

Postby xrdavo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am

EvilGenius wrote:One last thing,

Yeah I looked at those but they have a pretty low spoke count. I'm a 90+ kg rider so thought best to go for a more heavy duty wheel. Think I'm swaying towards 27" as these will suit to frame + I already have a new set of 27" tubes and gum wall tyres.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 pm

xrdavo wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:One last thing,

Yeah I looked at those but they have a pretty low spoke count. I'm a 90+ kg rider so thought best to go for a more heavy duty wheel. Think I'm swaying towards 27" as these will suit to frame + I already have a new set of 27" tubes and gum wall tyres.
You'll be seriously restricting your choice of tyres mate.

Take a look at my Europa - she has enough clearance to run 1 1/4" tyres on 27" wheels complete with full fitting mudguards ie, there's a lot of room there. This photo shows her with 700c wheels and 28mm tyres and personally, I don't think they look out of place.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it