Anyone near the Belconnen area have free time?

LoveB

Anyone near the Belconnen area have free time?

Postby LoveB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm

As title says I'm looking for someone with a kind heart and free time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As you may remember me posting, I will be getting a bike from user Skorpn-7, he's sending it in a box so obviously the bike has been partially taken apart. Now, being off a bike for over 12 years I am really not that confident in being able to put it together, I probably can but yeah I'd rather be on the safe side.

So basically I'm trying to find someone who can help/teach me to put it together properly... And around mid october to help/teach me to take it apart again so I could put it in a packing box and take it with me when I go overseas.

Any help is greatly appreciated :D I can buy you beers or um... bake you some cake/muffins... or um... like a slow roasted pork shoulder as barter? lol Thanks so much guys.

Just trying my luck as I asked at cycle surgery and I was told it'd cost me 100$ to get the bike put together again and tuned up.. and I would have to spend again (although less) to get it taken apart to fit in a packing box.

I think i'd be better off buying what I need to tune it up with that money and with the help of another member just learn to put it together,take it apart and tune it up. Hope that makes sense...

Thanks guys!

Paul

LoveB

Re: Anyone near the Belconnen area have free time?

Postby LoveB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 pm

PS:

If not the Belco area I dont mind driving out... I can still cook/bake or buy you beers. lol thanks!!

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Paul,

What sort of bike is it? I have the experience and the tools to assemble a road bike (and can call on another experienced bike builder to help if necessary...twizzle, I'm talking about you).

I'm in Kaleen.

David

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 am

Hey Paul,

Pester me closer to the date and i'll see if i can help you.

cheers

Eddie

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:45 pm

thanks guys. its a diamondback zetec x4. skorpn said his missus is sending it out on monday so i should have it by wed or thurs :) thanks again for all the help guys!

david,that would be great! im just closeby to you. robdog has also offered to help.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Zetecs are nice bikes!!

If you need any mtb assistance drop me a message.

Steph

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:19 pm

hi steph, yes, i most likely will! I will post up what rick said id have to do to get it back on the road later as im on a mobile phone.. Cant wait!!

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok so here goes guys. This is what rick mentioned I would need to do to the bike to get it back on the road... :D

To assemble the bike place the forks back in the head tube plus add the spacers and place the handle bar stem back on then pre-load the stem to pull the forks to the correct tension. Place on the handlebar and gear shift levers along with slide the seat tube into the frame. Grab the front wheel and place on the forks pump up the tyres then run the cables etc. Grab the pedals and screw on and wrap the chain stay protector around the rear chain stay then fit the chain and that's about it Paul. By the way while I think of it the chain to use is the silver one wrapped in bubble wrap that is the high quality one the other chain in the plastic container is the original brand new never used chain so you have a spare chain if need be. There is also a brand new chain joiner I tossed in as a spare but many of the small items will be found in the sealed post bag.

I think that is about it from what I can remember but If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Ricky

PS one other thing I don't think I have shifted the brake callipers so I think the wheels should go on and they should be pretty good to go with just minor tweaking if my old memory serves me right.

So if that sounds easy enough for anyone then great! I'll work a time out with one of you for next week when it arrives :D :D

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 pm

That is one bizarre disassembly method... removing forks instead of back wheel!?!?

When he says "pre-load the stem to pull the forks to the correct tension" I guess he is talking about tightening the head set?? If you don't do this properly you will completely stuff the headset bearings.

Will be interesting to see what he has done with the headset bits for transport.
Cabling up front end is required.
Shifters have been taken off handlebars?

If the bike shop saw the reassembly instructions I am not surprised at the price they quoted you. If they didn't I bet it would cost even more!!

Steph

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Nah I just asked for a general price when I asked about getting it done...

You reckon you could help me out with it? :D

And hopefully when october comes you can help me disassemble it your way to make it easier for me :o

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:03 pm

LoveB wrote:Nah I just asked for a general price when I asked about getting it done...

You reckon you could help me out with it? :D

And hopefully when october comes you can help me disassemble it your way to make it easier for me :o
When mine was boxed it was front wheel off, handlebars removed at the stem and seatpost out
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Large box will allow that Rob. The bike bag I use for travel even allows me to keep the handlebars on, but rotated at the stem so that levers point down, and slid along a bit to reduce overall length of package :).

With a smaller box (eg new bikes from factory), I understood standard setup was to remove front wheel, handlebars, seatpost, pedals, back wheel and rear derailleur, but leaving all the cabling still attached to handlebars, derailleur and brakes.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey Steph,

heres what rick said re your question
The bottom cup and top cup plus bearings is already installed in the frames head tube with some tape around it just to hold the dust cover and seal in place because with no forks inserted it is loose so taking the tape off have no fear nothing will spill out just the dust cover will drop off. Yes once you insert the forks placing on the dust cover,black stem spacers then stem pre-loading the stem will ensure that the fork has no play and that the forks crown race is seated. To be able to pre-load the head bolt is in the postal back which in turn is in another smaller zip lock bag that also contains the stem spacers so there is 3 x 10mm spacers and 2 x 2.5mm. Once you have pre-loaded the stem don't forget to tighten the stem bolts as that is what keeps it all then set at the correct pre-load. Once the stem tightened up and your happy with it I normally back the head bolt off as that thing is only needed to get the pre-load set so no need to have tension on that constantly once that process is finished but don't loosen it so much that you loose it.

Your going to need a few different size hex keys plus a pedal wrench or spanner to fit the spindle so I think that is about all the tools your going to need to be up and riding.
Thanks for all the offers guys. I'll contact one of you when it arrives either wednesday or thursday. Thanks thanks and thanks!!! I cannot wait!!

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:30 pm

threadless headset info

I definitely wouldn't touch the top adjustment screw after you have set the correct tension for the headset. There is no need to back it off.
Make sure you don't tighten up the stem bolts until AFTER you have got the headset tension correct.

Steph

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 am

I'm gonna have alot to learn :oops: :oops: although I'm sure the members helping out would know what to do. I just gotta keep my eyes peeled and ears open so I learn and can do it myself when I fly overseas :oops:

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 pm

David, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

My mrs went to woolies in belco mall after... I couldnt wait and popped the bike out and biked home as the rain had stopped. lol

Just got done adjusting the steering to straighten it out. And I'll ask Simon for help tmrw re the rear bearing and maybe fine tune the deraillieur. It jumps off the guides sometimes when I go into the highest gears otherwise its running perfect. You were right about the seat too, I think its the most comfy one I've sat on to date. So once again thank you and see you tomorrow!