time trial seat hight compaired to road bike

Jono1006

time trial seat hight compaired to road bike

Postby Jono1006 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Is it bad to have a different seat hight on your road bike compaired to your time trial bike?

RobRollin

Re: time trial seat hight compaired to road bike

Postby RobRollin » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am

You should have your TT bike setup differently. Usually higher for TT, I change mine about 2cms higher for TT.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 31, 2010 4:47 pm

When i got my bike fit for a rodie for TT the guy put the seat up 3cms. It took a week to get used to it but i don't notice it now.
when do we stop for coffee???

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 31, 2010 4:57 pm

Geez if I raised my seat 2 cms from my road position I would rip my achillies out in a month :shock: .
I don't understand why if you are running the same length cranks you would change bb to seat height that much?.Bring the seat forward sure but why change the height?.

fixed

Postby fixed » Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm

I am far less likely to stand up on the pedals when TT-ing.
More likely to sit further forward on the saddle.
I guess road bikes are set up for a variety of working postures when riding, riding in the pack, sprinting, and so the saddle height is a compromise.
Raised the seat to about two cm higher than my road bike setup. And this worked ok when using clip-ons. Now I have my TT bike I have started gently modifying one thing at a time on my bike, but more importantly is to keep the flexibility stretches going.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 am

TLL, my seat was put forward as far as it can so then up 3 cms
when do we stop for coffee???

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am

Yeah I have my seat on the tt bike shortened set at max forward position, nose tilted down a touch and set up a bit higher as it is forward. I end up perching right forward on the nose of the saddle also.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 am

BarryTas wrote:TLL, my seat was put forward as far as it can so then up 3 cms
No one measures saddle height by how much it protrudes out of the seat tube or from the ground. The reference is either to the centre point of BB axle or pedal at its lowest point. Saddle height relates to hit to heel distance and proportions within, and that's what it needs to relate to.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I think every time the seat moves up 1cm your saddle moves forward by .5 a cm
guessing from what the LBS told me

MiG

Postby MiG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 am

Richard.L wrote:I think every time the seat moves up 1cm your saddle moves forward by .5 a cm
guessing from what the LBS told me
If you're measuring up along the post, you'd have to have a 60 deg seat tube for that to be true. On a 78 deg TT seat tube angle that rule is very wrong; the forward adjustment would be 0.2 cm.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 am

wouldnt seat height remain the same, and its the frame tube lengths and angles that change ?

d413

Postby d413 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 pm

i read a great article on slow twitch on this subject, and i think i agree with the authors theory there.
often TT seat heights are higher. very simply the reason being that you tend to sit further forward on the seat meaning you have a different measure point to where you sit. moving the measure point forward increases the angle and decreases the distance to the BB.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... eight.html
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
Mark Twain

Lurkmore

Postby Lurkmore » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

My trainee always told me that the wrong seat height can force you to work harder and expend unnecessary energy. That's i remember for the rest of my life.

lemotea

Postby lemotea » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 am

So what is the conclusion for the seat height? If I used the seat for too high, I tend to sprain my calf. I used to put like 1 cm higher than my roadie. But actually I'm not sure either the saddle height for my road bike. I used to seek the answer in the google but seems still can't figure out up till now.

For reference, my inseam is 81.5 cm.

I used to be suggested a distance from bb to saddle about 73 cm. But actually where do you measure it? From the back of your saddle/ nose or middle? At the end I just put the distance from saddle to ground about 97 cm. (with 172.5 mm crank arm). Any suggestion for the formula?

And for TT, it's true if you get forward quite a lot, u need to have a very high saddle position, but for training, I used to get exhausted very fast and tend to get back to the back of the saddle which result the distance from the saddle to the pedals just too high and that made it not efficient. Any advice for this also?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Jono1006 wrote:Is it bad to have a different seat hight on your road bike compaired to your time trial bike?
Mine is 25mm higher, as the seat comes foward you need to lift it up.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Trackfix

Postby Trackfix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am

TT saddle height myth/ The view that the TT saddle position is higher than that of your road bike is incorrect.
If your road saddle height is correct and your saddle set back is also correct (tip saddle to centre B/B) then your TT saddle height
will be lower by 5-6mm. The reason is simple if you lower your back angle by 20 deg you extrend your leg length accordingly.
Simply stand with knee slightly bent as per road knee angle on extention, now lean forward and note what happens to your leg length.

Given that you ride (AT) a 44 deg back angle and your TT position is agressive (AT) 20 deg, it is also worth noting that the leg angle on extention and
flextion are both greater when setting up your TT position. Running your saddle to high on either a TT or Road by bewtween 6 and 10mm will result in a 20 to 25 watt reduction is sustainable power during a 40km ITT.

Gary (AT) probikefit did my TT set up and I set my PB, he is in Brisbane