ANyone know where a carbon frame can be painted in SYdney

Rusty Bucket

ANyone know where a carbon frame can be painted in SYdney

Postby Rusty Bucket » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm

I recently had a carbon frame repaired on the chain stay. For reason best not gone into (too frustrating and time consuming), it was not feathered/sanded down and painted, so it looks pretty rough. I'm trying to find someone in SYdney who might do the sanding/painting.

Does anyone know of anyone?

Thanks

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi, Star Enamllers is the place to try. I dont have their details offhand but you should find them in the phone book.

Karen.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:45 am

Hi,

Is the 'problem area' near the drop outs / bottom bracket or in the middle?

usually any decals on a carbon fibre frame are under the surface of the resin and surface coats. A touch up job is in this case a surface treatment however will never completely regain previous glory. You can polish the frame yourself you can use finer and finer sand paper grades and a brush polish (for example on a drill). It is cheap and effective.

Back to the carbon fibre, a typical carbon fibre weave is typically strong in one direction which makes them suseptible to breaking when force is applied from other sides. As opposed to a fibreglass surfboard, a carbon fibre bike frame can't be easily patched up, the actual 'wound', the strength is comprimised. Infact unless the rod / tube is completely replaced it is as weak as or weaker than a fractured / bent aluminium tube.

Back to the cosmetic treatment, have you throught about a sticker, often the sticker that protects the frame against chain rub looks quite good.

Cheers
Christopher

Cycling is in my BNA