Fixie newbie want to change gear

BossWong

Fixie newbie want to change gear

Postby BossWong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:34 am

Hello, this is my first post in this forum.
I've just got my first fixie a month ago, I use as traveling to school (around 4km each way).
However, the path to school have pretty much uphill which is not easy for me.
And my knee start to feel a little bit painful due to a heavy pedaling in this few weeks.
I think it is a signal for me to do something and have something change.
Is it a good idea for me to change the gear to 17" or more? (Because the gear inch will go to 71.x" and the skid patches will double)
Also, is it easy to change the gear for myself? Where can I buy it online? (I'm new in Australia so many things I don't know)

My bike: Apollo Salt
Gear :46 x 16 Gear inch: 75.6"

Thankyou very much :)

yehuda

Re: Fixie newbie want to change gear

Postby yehuda » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 am

Take it to a bike shop, and tell them what you need done. They should have cogs you can buy, and they will have the tools to do it. It's easy to do if you have a lockring tool and a chainwhip, but unless you have these things then I'd advise to go to a shop. Where are you located?

BossWong

Postby BossWong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for your reply
I live in Ryde and I haven't see there have any bike store.
Is it expensive to change that? Thanks

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:13 pm

There is a bike shop on Victoria Road in West Ryde called "Bikecology".

Sounds like what you want to do is to simply fit a slightly larger cog. Probably a 17t. It would pay to also acquire an 18t in case you don't like the 17t.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

... and a couple of extra chain links.

Know what you mean about the hills. I ride through there on the way to work at Sydney Olympic Park from the Northern Beaches. If you see a guy with a mtb helmet, on a white bike with panniers and a fat single fork leg, wave and say hi. :D

Martin's advice is good. Seeing your knee is sore I'd go with the 18T first up, and try the 17T as and when it improves.

Where is your knee feeling sore? It might be worth posting in the medical advice subforum.

BossWong

Postby BossWong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I ride to Macquarie University so there have some hill in Bridege Road.
Might change to 18T next week to the shop at Vitoria Road. How much does it cost?

I feel a little pit painful when folding the leg. Although this week change better and doesn't feel painful (Maybe use to ride the hill).
I don't think it's a good idea to keep 16T riding uphill. Also, I have to ride to school in the future three year so I better change the cog
Thank everyone :)

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 am

BossWong wrote:I ride to Macquarie University so there have some hill in Bridege Road.
Might change to 18T next week to the shop at Vitoria Road. How much does it cost?

I feel a little pit painful when folding the leg. Although this week change better and doesn't feel painful (Maybe use to ride the hill).
I don't think it's a good idea to keep 16T riding uphill. Also, I have to ride to school in the future three year so I better change the cog
Look out for a tall, slightly rotund, half-Asian-looking gentleman on a vintage bicycle with black panniers. That's me. And this is my rig (for the moment). I have a number of other bicycles which I also ride around at Macquarie Uni, but this is the one I am currently familiarising myself with (getting used to the drop handlebars). Please say hi if/when you see me.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:21 am

BossWong wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to keep 16T riding uphill. Also, I have to ride to school in the future three year so I better change the cog
Do you have Track Ends on your Fixie?
If you do just move the back wheel back and forth. It adjusts the tension of the chain.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 am

BossWong wrote:Hello, this is my first post in this forum.

--snip--

Thankyou very much :)
How'd you get on Boss? It's been nearly a month now. Finding the right gear is a personal thing and can take some experimentation, but you WILL find a cog that works for you and your ride.

Another thing to consider is that back pressure (ie, trying to brake with your legs) puts more stress on your knees than pedalling. If you've got sore knees, I'd look at fitting at least a front brake and using it. There's an element of coolness about not using brakes but to be honest, the more I ride fixed, the more I use the brakes like I would for a freewheel bike but also, the less I need to use them ie, I'm using my legs to control my speed but using the brakes to avoid heavy pressures.

Richard
ancient legs but they're still driving me onwards :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

nathann

Postby nathann » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:47 pm

EvilGenius wrote:
BossWong wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to keep 16T riding uphill. Also, I have to ride to school in the future three year so I better change the cog
If you do just move the back wheel back and forth. It adjusts the tension of the chain.
Chain tension has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Just sayin'.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:38 pm

You might want to check the set up of your bike boss. Seat height and angle to pedals as well as head stem length and frame size. These could all cause knee and back problems that won't be fixed by changing the gearing.

My old fixie, I got some twinges in my knee and therefore only tootled around on it a bit, nothing over 5k rides. The frame was too large for me but the gearing was fine. My knew bike I ride about 150ks a week and no problems at all. I only get a bit of back tightness after a long ride. But I reckon thats cause I don't change riding position much ( oid style crit drop bares with no hoods to rest on) My gearing is 48 - 19 .

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:35 am

nathann wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:
Chain tension has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Just sayin'.
Soz. I'm preety new to fixies.