SS build advice

.isaac.

SS build advice

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm

I need some cheap reliable parts for a SS bike I am about to attempt to build.
Im looking at getting a Pake frame and fork but am not sure about the rest of the parts and what to get.
Has anyone got any advice?

BLU_FZ!

Re: SS build advice

Postby BLU_FZ! » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm

My only advice,,,,,,,,,get a budget and stick to it.Buy the best you can afford.
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm

You will always spend more if you build a bike up from parts rather then buying a complete bike. Complete bikes are available over the internet and while some of them aren't super duper, they're good prices and if you replace parts as they wear out, you can slowly build yourself a good bike while still being able to ride it. I'm not going to recommend a particular bike because it's not a market I take a lot of interest in, however, you will find regular, ongoing discussion about the cheap end on the Singlespeed & fixed gear forum of the American Bike Forums.

I wouldn't buy a new frame unless you know exactly what you're after and to be honest, you don't, not yet though you will in a year's time. Buying a frame alone only works if you buy a good quality frame because that's the heart of the machine - it's a big component to replace, hence the advice above to buy a complete bike.

Another excellent way of going about it, is to get an old road frame, one that you can ride (and so test how it fits and works for you) and then gradually convert it, much as I did the Europa. You can keep the bike on the road that way, enjoying riding it, while you save to buy good parts.

My Europa started as a basic conversion with a track cog screwed onto the road wheel (suicide hub).
Some while later, I bought the wheels, cheap wheels but good wheels, not rubbish.
I sourced some good brake levers off ebay.
At this point, she was still wearing two chainrings ie, I hadn't touched the cranks. Eventually I removed the surplus chainring. I've only just got around to replacing the cranks and last month, fitted new, dual pivot brakes to replace the diacompes from the 80's. The whole conversion has taken about 5 years and each step was taken at a time when I could afford to buy good parts.

Cheap deals are rarely an overall, good option - you do get what you pay for.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 pm

europa wrote:You will always spend more if you build a bike up from parts rather then buying a complete bike. Complete bikes are available over the internet and while some of them aren't super duper, they're good prices and if you replace parts as they wear out, you can slowly build yourself a good bike while still being able to ride it.
I've bought complete bikes for $50, stripped off the bits I wanted, and then sold the remainders as "spares" for $20 to $40. Sometimes it's the only way to get parts at a reasonable price. $50 would buy me a set of brakes and a set of brake levers if I am lucky.
europa wrote:I wouldn't buy a new frame unless you know exactly what you're after and to be honest, you don't, not yet though you will in a year's time. Buying a frame alone only works if you buy a good quality frame because that's the heart of the machine - it's a big component to replace, hence the advice above to buy a complete bike.
Don't bother buying a new frame - especially not for your first bicycle. Chances are you'll gain some experience and then want to change things. It took me a while to figure out that I needed a frame about 60-62cm in height and about 58cm in reach. It took nearly 2 years before a really good one came my way. I have only ever owned one store-bought brand-new bicycle. It was my first bicycle when I was 8 years old. Ever since, I've ridden second-hand or "saved-from-scrap" bicycles.
europa wrote:Another excellent way of going about it, is to get an old road frame, one that you can ride (and so test how it fits and works for you) and then gradually convert it, much as I did the Europa. You can keep the bike on the road that way, enjoying riding it, while you save to buy good parts.
Even the old "gas-pipe" steel frames are good. You can get them for $20 in a lot of places. Good wheels, brakes and drive-train components are what matter more.
europa wrote:Cheap deals are rarely an overall, good option - you do get what you pay for.
+1 - Look for quality parts. Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes you don't.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm

I go down to my local tip shop every Fri arvo for a scout around,always chasing some thing for a bike and only spend $20 for a complete bike.My bikes are built up from lugged steel frames and all 700c and all from tip bikes.Todays score a Giant OCR3,size 44 and way too small for me.I only get them for the parts.

I payed the $20 for what i considered to be a bargain for whats on the frame and the guys says "dont forget the wheels" Say What,it even came with Ultegra hubbed, straight and true wheels with tires.Find a frame,strip it and source your parts from the tip
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:06 pm

BLU_FZ!, I am peeved (in the nicest possible way 8) ).

100m from where I work, is a recycling centre. They literally have everything come through their gates. So I wandered in and asked about bike's and bike frames. The answer?
**adopt neanderthal demeanor**
"We're not allowed to sell stuff to the public"

Yeah, right. That's why there was a set of weights and weight benches set aside beside the office. :?

Buggers. No cheap bike frames for me (which, in reflection, is probably a good thing).

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it