Giant Defy 1 (2011)

Rhinotones

Giant Defy 1 (2011)

Postby Rhinotones » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm about to invest in my first road bike and am hoping for some feedback on the bike I'm looking at. Some back ground about me - Been riding my mountain bike for just over 2 months now and loving it. I ride between 40km to 100km per ride (200 - 300km/week), wanting to further my riding fitness/endurance, am a novice though so I don't want to spend a fortune until I progress further.

The bike I am looking at is 2011 Giant Defy 1.
Is anyone familiar with this bike or brand and is it a good entry level road bike?

It has:
- Shimano 105 10-speed drivetrain
- Giant Connect Bar and Stem
- Giant PR3 rim and sealed bearing hubs
It's going to cost me around $1400.00 (including pedals)

I don't know much about bikes and don't want to make the wrong decision. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Karati

Re: Giant Defy 1 (2011)

Postby Karati » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I have a 2010 Giant Defy 1.

I love it. Does everything I want it to do and more. Definately a great beginners bike and has some nice gear on it so shouldn't let you down.

Rhinotones

Postby Rhinotones » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Thank you for your input.

Maybe I need to ask another question though as my knowledge on bikes/accessories/parts is almost non existant.

What features should I be looking for when purchasing an entry level road bike? I have set a budget of around $1500 - $2000.

Keep in mind that I would like to join a cycle club with the possibility of doing a few low level races.

Again feedback is greatly appreciated.

whitey

Postby whitey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Rhinotones wrote:Thank you for your input.
What features should I be looking for when purchasing an entry level road bike? I have set a budget of around $1500 - $2000.
Check this thread out http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... f=9&t=8617

I like the Defy range, planning on getting and Advanced 1 hopefully in the next few months.

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 pm

I have a 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 1 (full carbon and ultegra) bought end January this year. I bought this after owning a flat bar road bike (trek 7.5) for a month. Had not owned a bike before that for about 20 years. Absolutely loving it.

In all honestly I dont think you can go wrong with any road bike in that range. And definitely can't go wrong with the Defy 1. If you really dont know anything about bikes then dealing with a good local bike shop is probably more important than the brand of bike itself IMO. Not sure how to guarantee dealing with a good LBS though...

Sam

Rhinotones

Postby Rhinotones » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I have been into local bike shops as well as looking at bikeexchange.com.au

The sales person at this particular bike shop which sells Giant suggested I not get a full carbon frame for my first road bike as the carbon frames can damage alot easier when having a spill. He suggested that being new to these bikes was quite likely to happen to me ( I guess being clipped in etc). I thought this sounded like good advice and believe the sales person was trying to steer me into getting something more suited to my level rather than upselling to make a $.

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Sounds like pretty good advice from the bike shop to me.

I was in a similar situation to you and had never had a road bike previously, only mountain bikes.

It's been pretty rewarding to build up through toe clips to clipless etc and feeling yourself getting better and better. I'm really enjoying the journey of it. I'm looking to upgrading more parts and maybe even to a new bike next year as I find the limitations of what I have currently.

So I would say what you are looking at is a good starting point, it's not crap and it's not super high spec. At the end of the day i don't see the point in spending lots of money on something you may ultimately not enjoy doing and if you do get into it then at least when you do upgrade to a flash all CF bike you will appreciate the upgrade far more and actually understand what will suit you.

bellarinebiker

Postby bellarinebiker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi there, I just bought the 2011 Defy adv 1 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. This is my 4th bike and I reckon it could've been my first had I known what I know now.

Great bike and great ride. If you have the money buy the full carbon now- you won't regret it

Rhinotones

Postby Rhinotones » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Thank's bellarinebiker,

Can I ask roughly how much you paid for yours? I'm in two minds now thanks to your post :lol:
I guess it's better to get the right bike first time rather than upgrade in a year.

bellarinebiker

Postby bellarinebiker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Rhinotones,

I got a steal from my LBS. I wanted a 2010 Defy advanced 1 in a Large frame (55.5)- i did my homework first and got measured test rode etc etc before I looked around. Although I went shopping at other stores and got quotes my LBS came through as I am a good repeat customer.

I can tell you that I got my bike at 25% off full RRP!! and there was no 2010 left in my size so I got the 2011 model at a steal $3k.

Not saying that you will get this price but other shops were quoting $3300 for 2010 stock.

In regards to buying a bike, dont waste your money and keep upgrading if you think you are going to buy a full carbon bike down the track anyway. ( trust me this is my 4th bike in 6 years!)

You WILL notice the difference in a full carbon bike if you compare the two even when you are a beginner. Speaking from experience it is the frame that is the one thing you want to spend the $$ (As long as it fits and dont get sucked into buying a frame sixe that is too big or too small just because the shop is clearing it out.Do your homework first and know what size you need before you go shopping.

If you have to save some $$$ buy the full carbon frame and go for a model with lower specs eg Giant defy advanced 2- (it is easier to upgrade the specs like gears, wheels etc than getting a new frame or new bike altogether)

reckon you could get a good deal on 2010 stock Giants now if you shop around.

A

thejeff

Postby thejeff » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi Rhinotones

i am also looking at getting a Defy 1 2011.

What state are you in and which shop are you getting the Defy from as the price I was offered today for a new Defy 1 2011 is $1709.

Would like to save an extra $300.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff

Rhinotones

Postby Rhinotones » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Jeff,

I picked up my bike a couple of weeks ago from Ferry Rode Cycles in Southport QLD (Surfers Paradise). I went up a level and got the Giant Defy advance 2011 which is a carbon frame. I paid just over 3k for it.

It's an awesome ride and am not regretting paying more to upgrade to this at all.

Liam.