To Live and Ride in LA

/\ |_ |

To Live and Ride in LA

Postby /\ |_ | » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Come across this trailer looks crazy check it out http://vimeo.com/14349409

yehuda

Re: To Live and Ride in LA

Postby yehuda » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 am

I cringed more than once when I first watched that, and I think bike snob summed it up perfectly..

Do they really ride the most dangerous streets in America, or do they simply make regular streets dangerous by riding like complete idiots? While I haven't actually seen the entire feature, I'm guessing the latter scenario is more accurate, since the claim is followed by people riding brakeless into busy intersections:

And riding brakeless on the freeway:

And riding down hills brakeless into busy intersections:

Any street is the most dangerous one in America if you ride it like a raging schmuck. Just wait until I "drop" my own "fixie" video, in which I ride up and down the tarmac at JFK while doing elephant trunk skids and almost get hit by a Scandinavian Airlines 747. Streets are for "woosies." 2011's going to be all about 'da "runway cred."

Anyway, just as the fixed-gear trend has followed prescribed stages, so too has my reaction to these sorts of videos and the riding they portray. First, it made me Angry; then, I found it Comical; and now I only feel Sadness. Yes, the sight of somebody riding straight into an intersection in the absence of anything real to rebel against is imbued with pathos--even a suicide bomber believes in something. (Terrorist organizations and religious cults are eventually going to figure out how desperate these "fixie" riders are, and they're going to send representatives to wait on the other side of these intersections during filming. "Just risked your life for no reason? Here, read this pamphlet!") This pathos is even more profound when you consider that he's doing it while his friend who has no actual creativity makes a video of it, presumably so they can screen it at the funeral as a final indignity to the family. But I suppose people with cameras who lack creativity and the people willing to die for them is what L.A. is all about:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm

TO live and die in LA :lol: ...nothing new there from the promo...but a big camera / LA / 15 minutes of fame :roll: .

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Looks very cool though you have to agree.

jwg

Postby jwg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:20 pm

i think i vomited in my mouth a little when i saw that. trying to make fixed riding look like some kind of bad ass underground street racing like culture, just looks annoying. but whatever floats your floatation device

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:18 pm

I feel exactly the opposite about the video.
It's not about making fixies look bad.
They like doing what they're doing cause its fun so they do it.

Purt

Postby Purt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Agreed ^^^

That race would have been pretty sweet with the amount of people.

It does look fun!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:07 pm

It just made me yawn.
This stuff has been done to death.