SA S3X

kukamunga

SA S3X

Postby kukamunga » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am

The Sturmey Archer S3X 3-speed fixed gear hub is available locally through Greenspeed

Abbotsford Cycles have built one up and tested it. Hub retails for around $299, I believe

HappyHumber

Re: SA S3X

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 pm

For those that may have missed it, here is a fairly detailed, if a bit disjointed, review from Dennis of FixedGearGallery fame.

Must admit, I'm a bit put off by his ambivalence to it, but I would like to read some more reviews & critique of it.

But right now, after Dennis's teasing shots in that article - I think I'd sooner tip my money into a set of those bewdiful Campy Record Pista cranks.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:32 am

HappyHumber wrote:For those that may have missed it, here is a fairly detailed, if a bit disjointed, review from Dennis of FixedGearGallery fame.
A hose clamp for an outer cable-end-stop??? A bit dodgy.....

Felt do a 'fixie' model or two using the S3X hub (Gridloc, I think), but I've yet to see one, or read a review

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:50 am

:|

Since Read a few more random reviews on bikeforums.net from our American friends. The few people who've taken the leap don't seem overly enamoured with it. A few tales of it slipping out of gear to neutral, shifting difficulty etc.

I know Sheldon Brown was a great proponent of this SA Hub making a comeback but he didn't live to see it. I can't but help wonder what he would of thought of what's finally made it to the shelves.
--

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 pm

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 am

I'd be interested in the S2C. This chap rode a Moulton equipped with the Sachs Duomatic (essentially the same as an S2C hub) from England to Australia.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 am

I too have read reports of the S3X that might give you reason to be wary. I've also read reports from long term users who seem quite happy with them. I think it depends on what you're using them for. Hard core fixie riders who expect the legs to be the centre of everything that happens on the bike tend to be disappointed. Riders who enjoy riding fixed but are more relaxed in their attitude to braking, seem happier.

I can't see the fascination with bar end shifters - the long cables required and some of the daft cable routing seen surely contributes to some of the issues. If and when I go that route, I'll use a downtube shifter - neat, clean with only one corner in the cable.

One report also commented on adjusting the lash in the hub after a bit of use. Maybe 'lash' is the wrong word, but there's something in that part of the hub that you can adjust and once things had settled, he readjusted that and his hub was fine - bit like retensioning a wheel after a bit of use.

I seriously considered one for a long time, delayed placing an order because I didn't have the money, now find that maybe I don't need one, especially when you read some of the Paris Brest Paris Audax riders who did the ride fixed and without changing gears on the way. My attitudes might change as I venture further into the Adelaide Hills, we'll just have to see.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 pm

europa wrote:I too have read reports of the S3X that might give you reason to be wary. I've also read reports from long term users who seem quite happy with them.
Richard
Got any links to these please?

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 pm

brauluver wrote:
europa wrote:I too have read reports of the S3X that might give you reason to be wary. I've also read reports from long term users who seem quite happy with them.
Richard
Got any links to these please?
Here's one from Bike Forums. It's one of the not so satisfied threads.

I don't have any others to hand I'm afraid, I'd have to google them.

Richard

hamishf

Postby hamishf » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am

I had one and hated it. complete waste of money. It was expensive too. There was too much slack in it. I only really used the direct drive anyway but when actually changing gears it shifted very poorly.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 pm

hamishf wrote:I had one and hated it. complete waste of money. It was expensive too. There was too much slack in it. I only really used the direct drive anyway but when actually changing gears it shifted very poorly.
While I'm not doubting your experience mate, mostly because it gells with some of the experiences reported on the net, it is hard to accept the review of someone who joins a forum simply to bag a product.

In response to your experience, my reading of a number of user reports, is that hard core fixed gear riders will probably be disappointed with the amount of lash and the shifting. On the other hand, riders who appreciate the advantages of fixed gear but also accept that brakes and other compromises might fit into the mix, find the unit quite acceptable. It is NOT perfect - there are too many reports of false neutrals, too much lash for riders who ride brakeless and the chosen ratios don't make sense for everyone. However, casual riders who appreciate fixed gear but also use brakes and are only looking for extra flexibility over rolling terrain, find the hub an excellent choice.

My own position?
I was originally hell bent on installing one on the Europa. I've since decided I don't really need it but if I follow my mad desire to get into Audax, it might just make sense.

hamishf's experience is enough to cast a grey light over the hub, but only because he's not the only one. At this point, it's definitely fine for casual riders of fixed gear ... whether it is fine for hard core riders of fixed gear is yet to be deciced and maybe we do need to wait for Mk II

Richard

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm

europa wrote:
hamishf wrote:I had one and hated it.
While I'm not doubting your experience mate, mostly because it gells with some of the experiences reported on the net, it is hard to accept the review of someone who joins a forum simply to bag a product.
In his defence, Richard - I see although hamishf's post count is 1, he/they did actually sign up few months prior to this thread. Maybe it was in anticipation of the topic coming up - who knows. ;)
--