Magic Shine

AndrewT

Magic Shine

Postby AndrewT » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Looking at these lights on Deal Extreme after reading the ligthing thread, can anyone tell me what the difference between these is :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

I see that one has a few more modes, is one simply and update of the other?

Pushy

Re: Magic Shine

Postby Pushy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 am

AndrewT wrote: I see that one has a few more modes
Guess thats about it. Probably out of the same factory but with a different board.
Too many modes can be a PITA.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:48 am

AndrewT you might want to visit this guy and pop an email his way because as far as I know he gets those deal extreme lights and pulls them to pieces fixes the few problems those lights have and then your trouble free if you purchase from him.

http://www.geomangear.com/

Cheers Ricky

PS I don't know him from a sack I'm just pointing you to someone that has a great deal of knowledge with those your thinking of buying so hope this helps you out.

BrettGG

Postby BrettGG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 am

The first one uses a Cree LEd which is an American brand and the best LED you can buy. I would consider that seriously.
Don't take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am

BrettGG wrote:The first one uses a Cree LEd which is an American brand and the best LED you can buy. I would consider that seriously.
Hi

Also isn't the P7 a lot older as in dated LED technology?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Pushy wrote:
AndrewT wrote: I see that one has a few more modes
Too many modes can be a PITA.
the DX torches I have are 5 mode, and hitting big bumps trips the mode change - it's quite annoying to hit a bump on a downhill and have your light go into strobe/seizure mode.

WonkyWheels

Postby WonkyWheels » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 pm

They are both exactly the same, except one is a 5 mode and the other a 3 mode. The product descriptions are a bit off. The only difference may be the chargers used. There is also a version with a head mount and a slightly different battery pouch holder.
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:AndrewT you might want to visit this guy and pop an email his way because as far as I know he gets those deal extreme lights and pulls them to pieces fixes the few problems those lights have and then your trouble free if you purchase from him.
Cheers Ricky
PS I don't know him from a sack I'm just pointing you to someone that has a great deal of knowledge with those your thinking of buying so hope this helps you out.
Not exactly true. He made a few small recommendations to the manufacturer based on issues with the first batches he found out from other forum members. All MagicShines are basically the same regardless of distributor. Geoman only sells the 5 mode version.
There is no real point buying from Geoman for Australians because of postage cost, unless you need the light urgently.

Aushiker wrote:
BrettGG wrote:The first one uses a Cree LEd which is an American brand and the best LED you can buy. I would consider that seriously.
Hi
Also isn't the P7 a lot older as in dated LED technology?
Regards
Andrew
Yes, the P7 is now old technology but no older than what the other light manufacturers are selling. Some are still using even older tech.

AndrewT

Postby AndrewT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks guys, ended up ordering :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

WonkyWheels wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:AndrewT you might want to visit this guy and pop an email his way because as far as I know he gets those deal extreme lights and pulls them to pieces fixes the few problems those lights have and then your trouble free if you purchase from him.
Cheers Ricky
Not exactly true. He made a few small recommendations to the manufacturer based on issues with the first batches he found out from other forum members. All MagicShines are basically the same regardless of distributor. Geoman only sells the 5 mode version.
There is no real point buying from Geoman for Australians because of postage cost, unless you need the light urgently.
That may well be the case now but I was sure that in the early days he was buying those in and before sending out to the customers he was fixing the wiring/soldier along with the heat sink paste and a few other major/minor things but thanks for the clarification it's nice to know that a manufacture listens to feed back something which many fail to do these days.

froggo

Postby froggo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Andrew T
I'd love to hear your feedback on your 29489's.
I'm currently trying to decide between the 29489; 25149; 30864 & the one from Geoman
I'm interested you bought the 29489 as apposed to the 30864 as the 29489 seems to be primarily for headtorch use only; seems to be the older model (3 modes v 5 modes) while the 30864 seems to be the most modern unit & comes with the handlebar fittings.
Also how was the service from DX?
I asked them a list of questions, some same as your inititial enquiry & received a somewhat terse reply from "Ivy". She wasn't interested in answering questions, obviously didn't know the product - just wanted a sale.
I'm very tempted to order from the other distributor - Geomangear so would like to hear of your experience from DX before spending the extra $$$'s.

Thanks
Peter

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I've had the 29489's now for a few months. Great is all I can say. No probs. 3 modes is more than enough.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:16 pm

WonkyWheels wrote:There is no real point buying from Geoman for Australians because of postage cost, unless you need the light urgently.
Hi

Having dealt with Geoman previously; he used to hot on Garmin Edge pricing, if you talk to him he will work on the postage price. Sometimes it pays to ask.

Andrew
Andrew

Comedian

Magic Shine

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

I rode home last night for the first time with the three mode one and it's hard to know what else you could need.

It's the first time I've felt truly safe on a night commute down my completely unlit bikepath.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 pm

44459 looks to be the latest version. Some work done on the battery, don't know if there are any other improvements.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

froggo

Postby froggo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for that link Pushy - looks like it could be the one.
A previous post mentioned Cree is far superior to Seoul Semiconductors SSC, which is what this unit comes with (SSC)
Is there really anything in it, anyone know?
Also anyone know if this unit comes with a true SOS or is that just DX's way of describing a flashing mode? True SOS seems stupid as it's abusing the standard emergency signal ..._ _ _ ...

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:14 pm

froggo wrote:Thanks for that link Pushy - looks like it could be the one.
A previous post mentioned Cree is far superior to Seoul Semiconductors SSC, which is what this unit comes with (SSC)
Is there really anything in it, anyone know?
Also anyone know if this unit comes with a true SOS or is that just DX's way of describing a flashing mode? True SOS seems stupid as it's abusing the standard emergency signal ..._ _ _ ...
You're welcome. I believe they are all SSC P7 rather that the Cree MCE and I don't think there's much in it. I've got three of these lights, the newest being about 6 moths old. They are all still working fine, all with 3 modes and the sos is actually flashing/strobe about 2-3/sec. There is a slight variation in tint of the light.
Specs and descriptions on DX tend to be a bit loose, read through the discussions on the siteand you'll get a better idea.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

the-waves

Postby the-waves » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:11 pm

I just bought one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44676

As I like the look of the battery indicator. I will let you know how it goes.

froggo

Postby froggo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:47 pm

I ordered the https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44459 also on the strength of the new battery.
But that was 2 weeks ago & DX still haven't updated the Status of "Still waiting for supplier" even though all items on my order show " In Stock: ships in 2 to 4 days"!
Annoying how they are very quick to take your money, not so quick to process the order.
Reaks of arrogance.
Oh well - the price of dealing with DX I suppose as it seems from other posts elsewhere this is a well known problem with them.

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:20 am

Re: DX Service
I had a somewhat frustrating time with DX - over warranty
Nevertheless they TOTALLY restored my trust when they not only fully replaced my dx 900 lumen set but alkso fully refunded my postage etc
It took some time to deal with the issues in their "SYSTEM" on line
But I can say now I would deal with them again
It does always seem to take 2-3 weeks for deliveries
And often if they don't have all parts in stock they will end up shipping separately
If you've ordered the 900 lumen light only then sometimes they just don't have stock (and don't show it thus)

Re: Light - I'm sure you'll be happy - they are amazingly bright
I use mine twice a day - along with their DX taillight running off the same battery
I am very happy with the system
I'm sure you will like it too
Just gotta be patient for the delivery unfortunately
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 pm

I have just bought this light http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e-ha ... 8650-57100 and got it today. As the light didn't come with any instructions, only what is written on the box, I have a few questions for any magicshine owners;

How long does the battery need to be charged for and is there any indication of when it is fully charged?
Is it OK to leave the battery on charge overnight (8-10 hrs) and just unplug it in the morning?
Is there anything I need to do to aid in making the light or battery more water resistant?

Haven't fired it up yet but it has to be better than my current 1 watt led light.

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Parrott wrote: How long does the battery need to be charged for and is there any indication of when it is fully charged?
Is it OK to leave the battery on charge overnight (8-10 hrs) and just unplug it in the morning?
Is there anything I need to do to aid in making the light or battery more water resistant?

I charge my battery overnight abt once a week (It's on right now and will be overnight)
Red Light on charger turns green (May be green even before plugging in, but get charger on power point and flick power on - Battery connected)

I have my battery on extension to my rear panniers and have had no trouble for 12 months - but before I did have it setup strapped to front and exposed more (AND YES I HAD TROUBLE)
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed May 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Depends on the battery pack, the early one is bad seal the ends with silicone if it'd the new one then no need. Had mine for over 12mnths no issues with the light itself leaking.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Parrott

Magic Shine

Postby Parrott » Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks fellas, i used it on the way home tonight and it is pretty good, I can see where I am going now :)

I plugged it into the charger at work and the light was green but I see that after riding home with it, the charger light is now red after plugging it into the mains again.

It is the new type of battery so hopefully it's ok then

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Parrott wrote:How long does the battery need to be charged for and is there any indication of when it is fully charged?
I don't want to alarm you but I would strongly advise against leaving the battery on charge overnight. All of these lights use lithium batteries & there have been a few reports of the battery venting a emitting a short burst of flame. The numbers from one american distributor Geomangear were 3 units in 20,000. From what I hae been able to gather on forums such as Candlepower.com & forums.mtbr.com the risk while real, it is low and it seems that this is often caused by the battery being overcharged by being left on after it is fully charged.

For this reason I charge mine where I can see it and take it off the charge as soon as the green light comes on.

The South African distributor has put together a user manual

How long it takes to charge the battery depends on how far drained the battery was when you started the charge. A full charge from empty should take 4 or 5 hours. I have a 1/2 hour ride & because of my desire to keep an eye on the battery as it charges I recharge it every 3 or 4 days so it only takes an hour or two.

Water is the battery pack's enemy & in my opinion the variant you have chosen is a little vulnerable. Solutions range from the low tech (wrap it in glad wrap or a plastic bag, a little silicone sealer on the ends of the pack ) to the fancy ( plasti dip)

If you find that a little moisture gets in the light head, screw the front off the light there should be a couple of o-rings. My o-rings were dry & so I put a little bit of water resistant lubricant to help them seal - nothing fancy just hylomar from Bunnings for less than $5
Parrott wrote:I plugged it into the charger at work and the light was green but I see that after riding home with it, the charger light is now red after plugging it into the mains again.
Are you talking about the green light on the charger or the light head ? One minor quibble I have with the charger is that it if you plug the battery in with the power off the green light comes on - the battery of course doesn't charge becasue the power is off.

I upgraded from an old light with 2 x 10 watt halogens about a month ago & like you I have been very happy with it's output - cars & pedestrians can't help but notice me at night.

Parrott

Magic Shine

Postby Parrott » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks very much, especially for the link to the user manual. Some excellent info contained both in your post and the links.

Rode to work this morning and very happy with the light. It seems to be a match for some cars low beam output. At least going by the output as they passed me going in the same direction.