What happened to my training diary people!

ClownBoy

What happened to my training diary people!

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 am

I go away for 2 weeks and nobody does any training!

Or are you all training in secret?

Sedition, Casual Cyclist and (while I didn't go check) - I think Missy also?

Where you guys been? Do you need a swift kick?

whitey

Re: What happened to my training diary people!

Postby whitey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 am

I am here in secret (probably time to get a diary running for some extra motivation.) New to triathlon, planning on first race at Nepean 14 November 1K/30K/10K. I have been building up running and swimming for the past 12 months and cycling for the past two months.

Last weeks training was:
Monday - Rest Day
Tuesday - Cycle 29.49 km. Time 1:17 (Laps and hills around Centennial Park)
Wednesday - Swim 1 km. Time 0:18
Thursday - Cycle 29.28 km. Time 1:19 (Laps and hills around Centennial Park)
Friday - Swim 1 km. Time 0:18
Saturday - Run 5.73 km. Time 0:31:29 (Rushcutters Bay loop)
Sunday - Run 8.97 km. Time 0:50:12 (Laps of Centennial Park)

I havent done that much exercise in a single week for over 20 years. Immediate decision are whether to keep up my random training or start the 16 Week Olympic Training Plan http://beginnertriathlete.org/cms/artic ... ticleid=30

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

Good man (or woman - I got that call wrong on another forum recently).
whitey wrote:I havent done that much exercise in a single week for over 20 years. Immediate decision are whether to keep up my random training or start the 16 Week Olympic Training Plan http://beginnertriathlete.org/cms/artic ... ticleid=30
Do whatever keeps your motivation highest but I don't ever recommend 'random' training as it is easy to accidentally go over or under.

Standard plans like the one you link to are great if that works for you. If you want your own morep ersonal one but prepared by people with less experience (I assume) then start a diary and we can have a chat.

whitey

Postby whitey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am

Cheers mate - i am a :D man. Might take you up on the offer of help.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 am

whitey wrote:Cheers mate - i am a :D man. Might take you up on the offer of help.
No worries but the help will come from the group - I am just a vocal one.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:59 am

Im here, sorry busy with stuff.

I'm bringing it all back in slowly so I don't screw up as much this time.

Oh and I just can't find anything interesting on the forums to take the piss out of... ;)

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Present and correct... Struggling to get time to make it happen, but I've updated my diary with my meagre efforts. It can only get better from here! :)
New tar seal in front of my wheel

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:07 am

How is everyone? Winter is officially over ... Although in melb in looks like it started again ;)

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey Whitey, congrats on taking the plunge for your first triathlon.

Some uneducated opinions. I think your times for swimming and running are ok (your swimming is much better than mine, and your run is about the same -- I'm a beginner too). But I guess the cycling will be where you can make the most improvement? Although having said that, if the hills you describe as part of your circuit are vicious, this time might be more respectable. I would suggest concentrating on your cycling a bit more than your running and swimming in the time between now and the event. (Think 3 cycle sessions per week instead of two). Do you ride with a bunch or by yourself? If you can keep up with a bunch this is a good way to motivate and push yourself, and you will surprise yourself with the speeds and distances you can do.

I personally find that running is where I am most likely to injure myself, so I tend to do only one long run per week (I try to do 10km, but sometimes work and family come first and I have to shorten it). I also play indoor soccer one night per week, which places a significant strain on my joints. If I was serious about my health and fitness I would quit indoor, but I can't cos it is team-based and too much fun.

Take what you like, and leave the rest. Good luck! :)

Oh yeah, one question: how can I swim 1km in 18min like you? (I think the answer is probably more training, but if there is a secret or some tips, I'd love to know).
New tar seal in front of my wheel

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:53 pm

ClownBoy wrote:I go away for 2 weeks and nobody does any training!

Or are you all training in secret?

Sedition, Casual Cyclist and (while I didn't go check) - I think Missy also?

Where you guys been? Do you need a swift kick?
I have spent more time training than logging... :mrgreen:

Actually, I have been focussing on my running because that is what I was struggling with the most. After really struggling at the start (it took me more than 2 weeks to build up to Week 1, Day 1 of Couch to 5k... :shock:

Good news is that I am now sailing through Couch to 5k and finished Week 4 Day 1 yesterday. I have been running the intervals faster than the required pace because the right pace is too slow now :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Missy24 wrote:How is everyone? Winter is officially over ... Although in melb in looks like it started again ;)
It is sooooo cold in Perth. I have had to run in the freezing cold and in the rain. My feet have been numb and my hands have been numb... it's not fun :cry:
<removed by request>

whitey

Postby whitey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 am

SeditionTrial wrote:Hey Whitey, congrats on taking the plunge for your first triathlon.
Cheers, sorry for not responding to your post earlier. Didnt see it.
Some uneducated opinions. I think your times for swimming and running are ok (your swimming is much better than mine, and your run is about the same -- I'm a beginner too). But I guess the cycling will be where you can make the most improvement? Although having said that, if the hills you describe as part of your circuit are vicious, this time might be more respectable. I would suggest concentrating on your cycling a bit more than your running and swimming in the time between now and the event. (Think 3 cycle sessions per week instead of two). Do you ride with a bunch or by yourself? If you can keep up with a bunch this is a good way to motivate and push yourself, and you will surprise yourself with the speeds and distances you can do.
The hills ride is pretty vicious, traffic lights slow us down a lot as well. I ride with a bunch on during the week and try to sneak a third session in on my own on a Sunday. Only been cycling a few months so trying to get some K's into the legs,
I personally find that running is where I am most likely to injure myself, so I tend to do only one long run per week (I try to do 10km, but sometimes work and family come first and I have to shorten it). I also play indoor soccer one night per week, which places a significant strain on my joints. If I was serious about my health and fitness I would quit indoor, but I can't cos it is team-based and too much fun.
Running had been really hurting me in recent years. But with the extra fitness (and 15 Kilos lighter) the cycling seems to have given me its getting better, 5K runs are now not leavinng me sore at all and working up to 10K again.
Take what you like, and leave the rest. Good luck! :)

Oh yeah, one question: how can I swim 1km in 18min like you? (I think the answer is probably more training, but if there is a secret or some tips, I'd love to know).
The 18 minute is in salt water so that helps, it also leaves me pretty shattered - so in a race its going to be slower. Been swimming 2-3 times a week for about 18 months. When I started I couldnt swim 200m without stopping. Also check out the swim smooth website for some tips on technique.

The other thing to try out is drills rather than grinding out laps so for a 1 K swim something like 100m/200m/400m/200m/100m intervals with 30-60 second breaks. Or 500m then 5 x 100 intervals.

Disclaimer - I am a noob and may have it all wrong!