cramps

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
scotto

cramps

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

i've been pushing the training a bit harder and dieting a bit which may also have thrown things off slightly balance.
now after about 2 hours of hard riding ( lots of hills etc)i am getting some rather ordinary cramping, localllized in the inner thigh above the knee (VMO muscle). If i try to stand up and push hard on a short hill, well, i cant... only noticed this over the last two weeks or so, never been an issue before.

this is worrying me as i am down for a Sydney Cycling club charity ride to bowral in 2 weeks, and the 10k climb at Macquarie pass has me worried. ( or am i subconsciously looking for an excuse to pull out)

I have just started on magnesium tablets, and being a good physio, have done bugger all in the way of stretching!
does anyone have any tips/cheats etc...
oh, and I will NOT, NO WAY< NEVER EVER EVER, eat a banana, so dont go there ! :roll:

goneriding

Re: cramps

Postby goneriding » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Keep up with the magnesium tablets. I tend to be fine whilst riding but suffer a bit from cramps after especially during the Summer. Probably worthwhile upping the electrolytes during the ride as well.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 pm

goneriding wrote:Keep up with the magnesium tablets. I tend to be fine whilst riding but suffer a bit from cramps after especially during the Summer. Probably worthwhile upping the electrolytes during the ride as well.
\i forgot about that. usually go through 2 bottles, one poweraid or whatever, the other just water. and some kind of fruit or bar.
i did actually start laughing quite loud when i ventured into the local health food store to pick up a packet of magnesium tablets and have the old lady at the counter ask for $65. luckily woolies 10m away had 'em for $14...

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Gotta love the Health Food stores. Maybe their tablets are made with love and make your wellness (sarcasm intended) better. Woolies, as always, are providing better prices every day (more sarcasm).

In addition to the magnesium tablets what else are you doing between rides?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:10 pm

goneriding wrote:Gotta love the Health Food stores. Maybe their tablets are made with love and make your wellness (sarcasm intended) better. Woolies, as always, are providing better prices every day (more sarcasm).

In addition to the magnesium tablets what else are you doing between rides?
I get cramps in my calves when I am dehydrated... not when riding but usually in the morning while I am still in bed :shock: It is NOT a nice way to wake up.

The funny thing about health food shops is that I got my cheapest electrolyte powder there. It was way cheaper than any of the big 3.

I usually take 2 or 3 mag tabs per week and have not had cramps since I started.
<removed by request>