We are what we eat

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
silkishuge

Re: We are what we eat

Postby silkishuge » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:I wouldn't recommend this menu (unless you have a death wish and like long naps) :D :D :D

Breakfast (battered bacon)
Lunch
Dinner
:shock: That would put me in the ER, not that they could do much for me after that me thinks.

J

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 pm

I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at that scrumptious feast. :lol:
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Is it just me that thinks the burger looks good...?

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Alistair wrote:Is it just me that thinks the burger looks good...?
Are you kidding? I think it looks revolting. The only polite way to eat it would be to sit in the bath ! :D :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Hicksey

Postby Hicksey » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Before morning ride- Piece of fruit or a muesli bar

Breakfast- Cereal (Muesli, oats or just right) with either fresh or tin fruit.

Morning tea- Piece of fruit or muesli bar (whichever I didnt have before ride), plus 1 coffee (White and 1 sugar)

Lunch- Either a salad sandwich (Either bread or wrap) or a pasta salad

Afternoon tea- Depends on how I feel. May not have anything at all. But will have something small before my nightly ride.

Dinner- Usually Red meat and veges or chicken and salad, and sometimes stirfry.
Plus about 6-8 cups of water per day

That is about my usual weekly meal list. I must have a good metabolism though because it doesnt matter what I eat I cant seem to put on any weight. Although that burger in the previous post might make a fool out of me haha..

*forgot to add that I am 178cm and 68kg. And that I do regular exercise other than riding such as weights and running.

Cheers

Xavier

justD

Postby justD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm

silkishuge wrote:

If you are what you eat then before the end of tomorrow I will be a 1-star high-fat content patty, bacon, sausage, egg and cheese wrapped in a burger roll... with grease Save the gherkins and lettuce

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am

I had this yesterday (Grill'd Front Bar steak sandwich - Grilled scotch fillet, free range egg, rocket, tomato, Spanish onion, mustard, beetroot relish, herbed mayo on ciabatta):
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Hicksey

Postby Hicksey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Christine Tham wrote:I had this yesterday (Grill'd Front Bar steak sandwich - Grilled scotch fillet, free range egg, rocket, tomato, Spanish onion, mustard, beetroot relish, herbed mayo on ciabatta):
Thats looks/sounds delicious!!! How much does something like that set you back?

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Hicksey wrote: Thats looks/sounds delicious!!! How much does something like that set you back?
$14.90 from Grill'd.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

rider

Postby rider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:21 pm

I got into cycling to lose my love handle but i've actually gained more weight since taking up riding. Riding everyday between home and work really work up an appetite and i have big lunch and even bigger dinner. Lately i have been trying something different - a water diet. I have two big glasses of water before each meal and i never eat till im full which is hard for someone which loves eating :D . I am seeing sign of weight loss as my pants are becoming ever so loose.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

rider wrote:I got into cycling to lose my love handle but i've actually gained more weight since taking up riding. Riding everyday between home and work really work up an appetite and i have big lunch and even bigger dinner. Lately i have been trying something different - a water diet. I have two big glasses of water before each meal and i never eat till im full which is hard for someone which loves eating :D . I am seeing sign of weight loss as my pants are becoming ever so loose.
If you're riding enough you'll be replacing some fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so you can make your pants looser without actually losing weight. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Alistair wrote:Is it just me that thinks the burger looks good...?
Nah...I'd happilly tackle it with a sixer of coopers ales on the side to wash it down.
It doesn't hurt to sin a little sometimes ya know :wink:

qinv

Postby qinv » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 am

silkishuge wrote:Hi
This is what I used to eat:
-chips
-KFC at least once a week
-Pizza at least once a week
-rice was my staple (which is actually the only healthy food I ate)
-Instant noodle for lunch each day
-Home cook food every other meal but it was typically oily and consisted of the poorer cut of meats (eg mince and chicken wings)
- Excessive use of oil for cooking was also an issue.

My diet was mainly cost and convenience. It was affordable for us and easy to cook. I might also add that I never did did exercise and snacked quite a bit. I did not really indulge in cakes or sweet drinks but my diet was already enough to kill me.

J
I am 1.72m tall and I've had 52-54kg on the last 3 or 4 years (I'm female). I'm quite constant on that. I eat everything I want, from kfc,or pizza to chips any other kind of junk food. when I have an exam periods, I eat a lot of chocolate. I smoke cigarettes and I don't do any sports (not really healthy I know). I have a full and quite stressful day so I only eat once a day, late at night when I get home. the thing is that I eat everything I want and I still look good, but I don't overeat junk food. If I want kfc, it's ok, but this happens once a month or even more rarely.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:57 pm

sounds like me when i was 20.
start changing your habits, or when youre 35, you'll look 45 ;)

qinv

Postby qinv » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 am

munga wrote:sounds like me when i was 20.
start changing your habits, or when youre 35, you'll look 45 ;)
if that's a reply to my post, neeh I don't really think so. I'm 21, and people still ask me if I'm in highschool. my mom is 51, and everybody thinks she's at least 10 years younger. so I don't think I'd look 45 when I'll be 35, the thing with looking younger it's genetic to my whole family! :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 am

^^ Yeah but you will probably feel like your 45^^^ :lol:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

qinv

Postby qinv » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:23 am

nope not really no. I don't practice any sports because I don't have time, but during the day I almost run from one place to another. I'm quite active, plus I don't have a car so I walk a lot

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:35 pm

qinv wrote:nope not really no. I don't practice any sports because I don't have time, but during the day I almost run from one place to another. I'm quite active, plus I don't have a car so I walk a lot
So what are you doing on Cycling forum talking diet?

qinv

Postby qinv » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 am

brauluver wrote:
qinv wrote:nope not really no. I don't practice any sports because I don't have time, but during the day I almost run from one place to another. I'm quite active, plus I don't have a car so I walk a lot
So what are you doing on Cycling forum talking diet?
well I said I don't practice any sport now, this doesn't mean I haven't in my past. and yeah, funny way to spend time, but forums turned out to be quite relaxing for a work break (for me, I don't know about the others)

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:43 am

On a normal day to day,

Breakfast: I will eat 4 Weet-Bix and a milo before a 30ish km commute. Or if I am running behind and decide to catch the train to cut some time off my ride I will have an Up-an-Go on the train and then have the Weet-Bix when I get to work.

Snacks: I keep a lot of musli bars, trail mix and sultanas in my work desk for snacking between meals. I usually have an apple or two as well.

Lunch: Usually a whole meal/grain bread sandwhich with cheese, and vegemite, or ham and mustard and low fat yoghurt. Maybe some more fruit. Sometimes the occasional work BBQ or a walk down to Noodle Box.

Dinner: My girlfriend is into her cooking so she likes to experiment with a lot of flavours. Most things revolve around Thai and Japanese style meals with a large amount of it being seafood based. Also, the old favourite of meat and 3 veg if I have to fend for myself.

If however I am surfing or snowboarding over the weekend, it’s not uncommon to be in the water or on the slopes for a 5+ hour session. So breakfast on these days is more like 5 or 6 Weet-Bix, a Milo, a few pieces of toast and maybe a yoghurt or a piece of fruit. This is usually a bit more of a sit down and enjoy breakfast rather than smash it down and shoot out the door to work.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:54 am

This is a great thread. We should have a place to post healthy and tasty recipies.

If there is one peice of advice I could give it is for breakfast try Carman's Muesli.

Make sure you go for the fruit free one as all dried fruit contains sulfur.

But yeah Carmans Muesli is brillinat, any more fiber or any lower GI and you would be eating the box!!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Solirossi wrote: Make sure you go for the fruit free one as all dried fruit contains sulfur.
Whats the issue with sulfur?

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/the ... ution.html

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm

rider wrote:I got into cycling to lose my love handle but i've actually gained more weight since taking up riding. Riding everyday between home and work really work up an appetite and i have big lunch and even bigger dinner. Lately i have been trying something different - a water diet. I have two big glasses of water before each meal and i never eat till im full which is hard for someone which loves eating :D . I am seeing sign of weight loss as my pants are becoming ever so loose.
+1

I feel the same and this also happens to me when warmer weather comes in and I return to swimming laps. I can eat one big fat steak, spare ribs and some seafood in one sitting. Soooooo bad, exercising makes me hungry (and I've just finished a packet of twisties in writing this.) But might do the water diet and increase the intake of fluids so I'm not tempted by so much junk food.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 pm

You'll probably all shoot me but last August I weighed 180 KG's and now weigh in at 81KG's, breakfast and lunch for me are Celebrity Slim sachet's or Breakfast Bar/Munch Bar and then dinner is normally Turkey/Chicken and salad/vegies, often will down 500gm of Turkey mince cooked on non stick frypan with herbs and stuff and whack the mince straight into some lettuce leaves... I'f I'm riding I normally take a resealed pack of dried Apricots and down those as I go...

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:55 pm

meridaman wrote:You'll probably all shoot me but last August I weighed 180 KG's and now weigh in at 81KG's, breakfast and lunch for me are Celebrity Slim sachet's or Breakfast Bar/Munch Bar and then dinner is normally Turkey/Chicken and salad/vegies, often will down 500gm of Turkey mince cooked on non stick frypan with herbs and stuff and whack the mince straight into some lettuce leaves... I'f I'm riding I normally take a resealed pack of dried Apricots and down those as I go...
OMGosh and I struggle with 8kg. There is no way I am drinking any of that s*%t, I am ethnic and I eat well, wholesome wog food, my problem is that I eat to much of it.
My God you have done well, meridaman you have lost 2 people, a search party should be out for them.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!