Training for the Busselton Half Ironman next year

casual_cyclist

Re: Training for the Busselton Half Ironman next year

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 am

Why don't I just get swimming lessons?

Well, I can actually swim freestyle. Not as effectively as I demand of myself but I can actually swim a lap. After more than 10 years of no swimming I jumped in the pool to "do laps" and expected I would just pick it up straight away because: I have had formal instruction in freestyle previously and about five years ago I did some open water swimming and did quite well.

I did two sessions of laps before I realised I need to work on some fundamentals. I felt tense, frustrated and up and down the pool, lap after lap felt like I was fighting the water. The problems with my swimming were:
* position in the water - head too high, hips and feet too low. This resulted in my dragging my legs along like anchors which made me slower
* feeling very tense (for reasons that will be explained). I don't think that someone tensing up in the water will be able to swim effective freestyle.
* general lack of rhythm. If you watch swimmers on TV you will notice there is a rhythm to freestyle. I have mastered the rhythm of breast stroke and side stroke but I have never mastered the rhythm of freestyle.
* breathing. I was puffed out by 25 metres to the point where I had to stop to catch my breath. The reason is that I was forcefully blowing the air out of my lungs while my head was under water and then forcefully sucking air in when my head was out of the water. I tried the same thing on dry land and was out of breath in 30 seconds.

My fundamental problem in the water is balance. I can keep my balance doing breast stroke and side stroke but not freestyle. I have always had a problem with balance. Growing up I had years of swimming lessons until mid high-school and excelled in breast stroke and side stroke. I came second in the finals for breast stroke at high school. Anyway, I always had a problem floating on my back and I almost failed swimming lessons because of it. I did everything the trained, qualified and experienced instructor told me to do but I still could not master such a basic skill. In the end I passed because the instructor could see I was doing everything I was told but still could not balance properly in the water. On that shaky foundation I was taught freestyle and passed the lessons but did not master the stroke.

What I need to learn is balance, relaxation and breathing. Learning balance is not something that can be rushed which is why I don't want to go to a swimming instructor to learn it. I would feel rushed and against the clock. I am also carrying a lot of baggage from swimming lessons while growing up which does not help me to relax in the pool. Another reason for me not to attend swimming lessons to learn basic skills. My breathing is just a matter of being more mindful and relaxed. I don't need to suck in and blow out and hyperventilate.

So, I spent an hour in the pool last night with some basic drills: vertical balance and horizontal balance front, back and side. While doing all of the drills I relaxed and breathed gently. When I sank I didn't fight the fight the water, I just breathed out gently and kicked back up to the surface when I hit the bottom of the pool (I was in the deep end too :lol:). Actually, that was quite fun! So, how did it go? I didn't start out well. I have bad posture and I think it is translating to the pool. My vertical position was off, on my back my hips were too low and on my front I was dragging my bum along under the water.

Because I was conscious of being relaxed I stayed relaxed whatever happened. I also breathed a lot more gently and didn't get puffed out from breathing so forcefully. My position in each of the drills improved over the session and by the end of the night I was able to pretty much float ok vertically, on my back and face down. I was relaxed and enjoyed myself for the whole session so I was happy with how it went. I also left some baggage behind in the pool.

A couple more sessions like that I will see my coach at the squad I want to join to get professional advice about whether I need swimming lessons, stroke correction or squad.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Something really funny happened last night. I was doing this drill:
1. Balancing on your back – Lay back in the water as if you were lying down on a bed.
Kick slowly and gently to move forward. Hands at your sides. Tuck in your chin
slightly as if you are holding an orange. Round your shoulders and press the back
and shoulders into the water. The water level should be hitting the lower corners of
your goggles. Feel your hips and thighs bob closer to the surface. Let the thighs
break the water.
When I do that I seem to get into the right position but kicking slowly and gently I move backwards in the water! For example, if I am on my back with my feet towards the pool wall and my head away from the pool wall, when I kick I travel slowly towards the pool wall, not away from it. It is the weirdest thing. I tried kicking bigger, smoother, faster, straighter leg and more bendy leg. Nothing seemed to change that.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Week 3 - Day 3 (Wednesday)

Cycle - Home to work 8.67 km 00:24

Beautiful morning. I didn't focus much on my cycling though so I'm posting another slow time. I enjoyed the ride though ;-)

Commute - Work to home 8.85 km 00:28

Beautiful ride home from work. The sun was just starting to set over the Swan River.

Walk with slow run intervals 00:28

Working up to the couch to 5k week 1 day 1 workout. So far I am up to 6 intervals of 60 seconds. Week 1 day 1 has 8 so I am nearly there :-) My shins feel less sore while running each time and not sore afterwards so maybe I just need to build up my distance slowly. On Friday I will try week 1 day 1 full workout and see how it goes.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, I have been diagnosed with having either Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) or Cytomegalovirus (CMV) between February and June this year. I have also been diagnosed with post-viral fatigue. The bad news is that now I feel tired all the time. However, having completed a number of 12+ hour bike rides I am pretty used to exercising when feeling tired.

The good news is that the prescription is exercise and sleep :wink:. The key at this point is to not push too hard and wear myself out. Oh and to get lots of sleep :D
<removed by request>

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Do yourself a favour...either join and swim squad or join a tri club.
I joined Stadium tri club in December 09 and participated in their swim sessions (including ocean swims) as well as group rides. Best investment...and completed Busso HIM this year. Prior to this I struggled to swim 100m.

Good luck :D

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:49 pm

bomberdon wrote:Do yourself a favour...either join and swim squad or join a tri club.
I joined Stadium tri club in December 09 and participated in their swim sessions (including ocean swims) as well as group rides. Best investment...and completed Busso HIM this year. Prior to this I struggled to swim 100m.

Good luck :D
How did you go? Was it worth it?
<removed by request>

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Defintely worth it - great sense of achievement.
Happy to have a chat if you like - PM me..

cheers!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 am

bomberdon wrote:
Defintely worth it - great sense of achievement.
Happy to have a chat if you like - PM me..

cheers!
Awesome! A guy at work did it last year and said the same thing. I am a bit snowed under right now but really appreciate the offer of a chat. I will talk to a couple of people who have done it to see what I can learn.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 pm

.Hey Casual-cyclist, when is the half on, I may even join you. I have had bad luck with injury and the last half I did was in Meningie South Australia in 2006.
I really need to get my ass moving, I even have tuckshop arms now
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Apple wrote:.Hey Casual-cyclist, when is the half on, I may even join you. I have had bad luck with injury and the last half I did was in Meningie South Australia in 2006.
I really need to get my ass moving, I even have tuckshop arms now
Maybe May? So far it is me, Missy, @ScottDavis from twitter and you. Sounds like fun to me.

http://www.busseltonhalf.com/
<removed by request>

NigelW

Postby NigelW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi there
I did the Busso half this year - best thing I ever did. Went from doing nothing to the half in 18 months, and lost 15kg in the process.
Relocating to Melbourne in 3 weeks, but defo coming back to do it next year.
Enjoy all your training!
NigelW

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 am

Haven't updated for a while so here goes... I took about 2 weeks to build up to Week 1 Day 1 of Couch to 5k. My first training session was literally 60 seconds of running :oops: :roll:

Anyway, things have been going better since then. Tonight I finished Week 4 Day 2. The plan had 2.4km running with 800m walking between for a total of 3.2km. I ran 3km and walked 1km, so ahead of game from that POV. I am not even halfway through and can already run 3km with a goal of 5km. Looks like I will finish ahead of time, which I need to if I want to hit 21km by the busso half.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:54 pm

So anyway, I ran 5km tonight. It took ages but I got there. No stopping for a rest, no walking, just a slow, steady jog... :mrgreen:

Yeah, so 37 minutes is a real bad time for a 5km but it's my first one... :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Are you a member of TWA?

If not, you may miss out on a spot for the Busso 70.3 next year...
registrations open Monday 9.00 am 22nd November.

further info here:
http://www.triwa.org.au/chat_site/viewt ... =11&t=4563

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 pm

bomberdon wrote:Are you a member of TWA?

further info here:
Thanks for posting, although it puts me in somewhat of a quandary. At this stage I don't know that I am going to be able to run... or swim. After only running for about 2 months I developed an injury in my hip which put me out for 3 weeks. I had built up slowly to 5k.

Anyway, if I miss out on a spot I will set another goal.

Good to know when entries open though. I wasn't expecting them so soon.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:13 pm

further info here:
I am not looking to do the Ironman 70.3, only the Half Ironman. Does that make any difference? Are they still running the half?
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:21 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

further info here:
I am not looking to do the Ironman 70.3, only the Half Ironman. Does that make any difference? Are they still running the half?
Never mind.
7. Ironman 70.3

In 2005, WTC instituted the Ironman 70.3 race series. This shorter course, also known as a Half Ironman, consists of a 1.2-mile (1.9 km) swim, 56-mile (90 km) bike ride, and 13.1-mile (21.1 km) run. As with the Ironman series, it consists of a number of qualifying races at various locations worldwide, culminating in a world championship race with athletes drawn largely from top finishers in the qualifying events. The world championship is held in Clearwater, Florida. [3] In 2011, the world championship will be moved to Lake Las Vegas. Some 70.3 events also act as qualifiers for the full Ironman World Championships in Hawaii.
:oops: :roll:
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Ok, so it looks like I will probably not get a ticket so new plan:

Train for a complete a triathlon series. So far I have found:

The 2010-11 TriEvents TriSeries http://triserieswa.com.au/

Allbarnone Triathlon Series (5 races): http://www.allbarnone.com/events.html - first event is in 2 weeks and I'm not ready! :shock:
<removed by request>

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:31 pm

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 pm

bomberdon wrote:full WA tri calendar here...

http://triathlonwa.mhsoftware.com/View. ... endar_id=3
I had a look at that. It didn't seem to clearly set out the events in a series. Or am I just too new to see what is right in front of my eyes? :?
<removed by request>