VISP build

jwg

VISP build

Postby jwg » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey all,
haven't posted on here for a while but i've been watching. just thought i'd post my latest visp build here because it was seeing them on forums that helped me decide getting one.

-new 48cm visp ebay frame
-alexrims that i already had around
-normal road handlebars
-lasco crank arms

might still get track handlebars but the road ones do me fine and maybe a different/shorter stem, but "meh" for now
all in all a really good frame, rides really well and even more so compared to my previous builds with old hi ten road frames. the problem I had with all the road frames was that they always had really long top tubes compared to the seat tube, just weird geometry. Took me a while to get one that I really like and I really love this one.

BLU_FZ!

Re: VISP build

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 pm

I love these VISP frame sets, i would buy one to build up, but from what have read they are on the small side. Nice ride
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:53 am

That looks very nice indeed! 8)

I love a short wheelbase. Any issues with the rear tyre rubbing?

How do you find the Dia Compe brake?

jwg

Postby jwg » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:47 pm

cheers guys,
BLU_FZ! wrote:I love these VISP frame sets, i would buy one to build up, but from what have read they are on the small side. Nice ride
yeah im not too sure about the other sizes, but i got this 48cm after being measured at my lbs and its pretty much perfect

rkelsen wrote:That looks very nice indeed! 8)

nah no issues really, just wanted it nice and snug in there and if i wouldve taken another link or two out it would probably be a little to far out for my liking.
rkelsen wrote:How do you find the Dia Compe brake?
haha um performance wise really good and couldnt be happier and i physically found it on ebay... didnt know which is meant.. :?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:I love these VISP frame sets, i would buy one to build up, but from what have read they are on the small side. Nice ride
Don't let that stop you.There are specs on the ebay listing of tube lengths etc...
I bought a 58 and it was fine for my 6ft 1 beanpole body.100mm stem.
How tall are you?

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:08 pm

brauluver wrote:
Don't let that stop you.There are specs on the ebay listing of tube lengths etc...
I bought a 58 and it was fine for my 6ft 1 beanpole body.100mm stem.
How tall are you?
187cm, 6`2'' in the old money,current bikes are 61s and 62s
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

bergs

Postby bergs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 am

Looking good mate. Its nice and tight in the rear there!

The frames are great value, I have no compliants with mine!

jwg

Postby jwg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm

bergs wrote:Looking good mate. Its nice and tight in the rear there!

The frames are great value, I have no compliants with mine!
thanks mate, yeah it was your visp that i saw whilst waiting for my frame to arrive that got me a little more excited about getting it. i really dont have any complaints aswell, really beautiful ride, but there are some people out there with finer tastes in frames and they might complain about the rough welds and other obscure details

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:56 pm

I love the brakes.
How do you take the VISP decal off?
Are the frames very good quality so too the point where you recommend them?

Isaac

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I love the brakes.
How do you take the VISP decal off?
Are the frames very good quality so too the point where you recommend them?

Isaac
You can get em plain too, search ebay under track frame.
Yes I had one and I'd reccomend them as a good bang for buck frame.Not the prettiest welds but strong and straight.Brakes are sold by velogear(google away)

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks but how much are you looking at spending for all the parts frame, fork etc.?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:41 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Thanks but how much are you looking at spending for all the parts frame, fork etc.?
grab a calculator, write out a parts list and spend a few days googling around.Thats what everyone else has done I'm sure .It could be as cheap as $600 or as exxy as 2k , depends on how fancy/brand name your tastes are.
The exercise of looking all this stuff up will be a valuable lesson in the many variables of bike building.What happened to the Pake frame you wanted?At your age you will outgrow a frame pretty quick anyway, so don't spend more than you need on one.you rally need to have a budget set at the start to keep you in check anyway.Got a parent who can help or is cycling savvy?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Hehe. The Pake frame idea got thrown out the window when I calculated the cost of the parts.
I found it would be much cheaper to restore an old Road Bike, 80's say.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm

brauluver wrote:Got a parent who can help or is cycling savvy?
I like to pull things off my own back but my parents help a little.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:13 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Hehe. The Pake frame idea got thrown out the window when I calculated the cost of the parts.
I found it would be much cheaper to restore an old Road Bike, 80's say.
A decent specced 80's Cromo roadie (say 105 shimano) will be good for frame, headset/stem,bars , brakes ,seatpost cranks and pedals.
You will need a set of SS?fixed wheels with cogs, a chain, some new tyres,and possibly a chainring and bolts.I'd expect ti to be well doable for $300 max.
Europa gave you all the hints, just need to be patient and suus out what you want. That swap meet advertised in the Marketplace on here may be a good place to go and have a chat to people with experience.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:33 am

My LBS sells a fixie wheelset $150.

bergs

Postby bergs » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am

My build came to $604 :D I bought most parts new, but already had tyres, tubes, stem, bars/grips. So saved a little bit of cash there.

jwg

Postby jwg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Thanks but how much are you looking at spending for all the parts frame, fork etc.?
I'd say ebay is a good place to get all your gear.

I pretty much got everything there except for the crank set.
I had a few things like the wheels and the seat already. But if it was all from scratch I'd say it would come to about 550-600

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:52 pm

sweet.

jack2706

Postby jack2706 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey

I have been looking at getting a fixie/ss for a few weeks now to use when I dont want to pull out my carbon roadie or to just cruise along the foreshore (maybe 20km quick spin).

I do have an 20+ year old 27" univega racer I could use as my starting point to do up, (needs at least new rims/tires/cranks though) but I would prefer to just get out and ride asap rather than internet shop and ticker in the shed for a few months.

I noted a few people here are using the VISP frames as their base. [ebay]http://www.ebay.com/itm/track-fixed-gea ... 4152800de6[/ebay]

So I went ahead and checked them out myself and found this..... [ebay]http://www.ebay.com/itm/VISP-TRX999-TRA ... 45fe127713[/ebay]

1. Has anyone bought the completed version? If so, what was your experience? How did you find the parts quality and reliability.
2. Does anyone commute daily with a VISP? Do you find it a stiff frame? is it a hard ride?
3. Can you use 25cc or 28cc tires ?
4. Is the frame sizing accurate to roadies or should I buy one frame size smaller?
5. Is the completed kit a worthwhile deal for the price ($380+$135 del=$515 versus $175 frame + parts)? Can you easily fit one out for <$340
6. Otherwise can you link me to another site you recommend I consider say Reid/Jube/cyclingdeal/jellybean/metropolitan etc etc

Regards

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 pm

I've heard that the off the shelf ones are 'ok'. Better than any of the local selections.

The alloy ride can be a little harsh, ie on 23's with 120psi and 36spoke wheels... 25's will go on easy and you can probably squeeze 28's in there, you may just need an extra link of chain to clear the seat tube.

BUT, the HASA 'fixie' from cycling deal is only 299, and probably the best of the sub 500 completes. I would recommend that.

and then if you want to spend 515, stretch a little more and get a Fuji track classic off www.gearbrisbane.com for 540. Wicked value for money.

Kaiusblue

Postby Kaiusblue » Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

jwg wrote:cheers guys,
yeah im not too sure about the other sizes, but i got this 48cm after being measured at my lbs and its pretty much perfect

rkelsen wrote:That looks very nice indeed! 8)

nah no issues really, just wanted it nice and snug in there and if i wouldve taken another link or two out it would probably be a little to far out for my liking.

rkelsen wrote:How do you find the Dia Compe brake?
haha um performance wise really good and couldnt be happier and i physically found it on ebay... didnt know which is meant.. :?
Can I ask how tall you are and what your inseam is. Thanks

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 am

my goodness that frames looks similar to my masi coltello! prolly the same frame number from the same factory only mine got a masi coating and the others got matte black!