The wave,who does and who doesn`t

revinR1

The wave,who does and who doesn`t

Postby revinR1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Ok I`m asking this question due to ,when I used to ride my motorbikes on the road,everytime you went past another rider you always either dipped your helmet or raised your hand for a wave to fellow rider. Now over the last 2 weeks I`ve been out a couple of times and only twice gotten a hello.Both times where only after I said hello to the other riders and they where probally in the age bracket of over 50 :oops: . All the other younger riders in say my age 35 or less just ignore me.

Maybe its because I dont ride a souped up fancy couple thousand dollar road bike,with fancy lycra but I`m riding in my bigW skins with a fluro vest on my Hybrid. Didnt matter on moto`s always waved to a fello rider even Harleys {just to see if they waved or not} or maybe its just riders in Maitland area ???

stylo

Re: The wave,who does and who doesn`t

Postby stylo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Maybe it is just that they are keeping their eyes on the road or are not very observant people :D

Trust me, I really don't think they they would be noticing your big W skins or any other skins you are or aren't wearing.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm

If I'm just cruising along I'll wave/wave back, but if I'm putting an effort in I'm unlikely to - focus is elsewhere and the moment's gone too quickly.

I wouldn't take it personally, there's probably a few snooty twats out there but I think they're in the minority.

crog

Postby crog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Usually a nod of the head for me

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Sadly, we're a pretty tribal bunch.

I rarely get the wave from roadies, even on me $2k+ CF bike. Must be the baggy shorts and peaked helmet...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

westab

Postby westab » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am

Usually say Hi, nod, or wave (first prefered but will resort to the others if I am out of breath) - To fellow riders, people walking, or even the odd stray dog.

If you are going the same direction and catching me up I will even try to keep up and talk (if you like or are not training). In the rare occasion that I catch up to another I will slow to their pace and ride with them if they want (unless I have to be at work for a meeting). This is an enjoyable thing about riding a bike - it gives us a chance to meet and enjoy the outdoors together.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:06 am

Mulger bill wrote:Sadly, we're a pretty tribal bunch.

I rarely get the wave from roadies, even on me $2k+ CF bike. Must be the baggy shorts and peaked helmet...
I never wave

Especially not at mulger bill, but I'll ride with him and anyone else on a bike, from the steel frame to the 13k carbon fibre piece of heaven

dodge

Postby dodge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 am

I either nod or the raised finger wave off the bars when I see other Roadies.Kitted riders tend to be friendly here in Brisbane. 8)
Size 14..first of the overeaters

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 am

Missy24 wrote:

I never wave

Especially not at mulger bill, but I'll ride with him and anyone else on a bike, from the steel frame to the 13k carbon fibre piece of heaven
Do you wave at other riders with Zipps ???? :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:32 am

Nooooo never wave at other riders at all unless I know them and if I know them it's normally followed by shouting

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

Serial waver here (although the wave is actually me raising my two fingers from the roadside brifter just enough to see it's a wave and not the forks).

I figure throw it out there - what's the worst that can happen? Not getting a wave in return? MEH - karma will get them. :D
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:10 am

Nod or wave with smile always.... spread the love, I say :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 am

When I start my rides, usually along M7, will start waving at all, or even a "Morning", but after a while, I get fed up with the lack of acknowledge of my existance, so will keep to myself...
Until I see someone i know then its a hearty greeting... (Cant miss Zozzza's big long arm waving a greeting in the morning as he rides in the opposite direction.. :lol: :lol: )
Remember Rule Number 1...
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Must be the baggy shorts and peaked helmet...
Peaked helmet :?:
That is so un euro cool MB.
A Cycling cap underneath lid is der riguer if you want to be in :wink:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Peaked helmet here (on a CF roadie), and middle aged, and flouro wearing commuter with backpack. so very un euro cool hey. Meh.

BOT, I would wave in response to another wave but generally think its a bit unnecessary because I would pass more than 50 riders, twice a day, every working day. 500 waves a week would start to dilute the sincerity i think.

What I do find awkward is when you stop next to someone waiting at a crossing for a green light, and you say "G'day" and they look the other way :shock: It doesn't upset me, I just enjoy saying hello in those situations and find it weird when others don't. Perhaps its the peaked helmet .....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:58 pm

brauluver wrote:That is so un euro cool MB.
Did I mention the SPuDs, MTB gloves and full beard?

I'm not euro cool I'm me cool. :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

njg02

Postby njg02 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 am

Mr Bill, you need a recumbent to go with your beard!

I get to wave at heaps of kids and old folk who don't see or have never seen a recumbent. My missus hates it when we ride together and all these strange people want to comment and wave. It's funny, because I don't hear them.
I'd like a beard to go with my bike.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:34 am

Mulger bill wrote: I rarely get the wave from roadies, even on me $2k+ CF bike. Must be the baggy shorts and peaked helmet...
Likewise, but in my case I think it's the mudguards.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm in the "pass too many riders to wave" category, but I'll have a chat at the lights most of the time.

Lycra-clad roadies get a lot of grief for supposed snobbery around here, but I don't find any difference in their attitude whether I'm on a flat bar, roadie or TT bike. They don't seem to be any less friendly than anyone else, but it probably IS a bit harder to wave when you're in the roadie position. And it's probably safe to say that the average roadie is more of a bike enthusiast than the average guy on another bike, and in many areas of interest keen people tend to stick together; not a good thing, maybe, but perhaps a universal human thing.

Actually, I seem to sense a bit of 'tude from younger flat-bar riders at times. If it's there, it proves it's just not roadies. If it isn't there, it shows how we can imagine things.

I turn up to race and time trials with a $500 roadie or $600 TT bike, no-name jersey and knicks and MTB shoes, and have never had a single unfavourable remark about my gear. Lots of roadies admit that they are gearheads but they just love nice stuff - they don't seem to denigrate people based on what they are riding, but they do cop it from people who ride other sorts of bikes.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

gtw

Postby gtw » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:29 am

I wave, but rarely get a return wave. I find myself *generally* faster than people I pass by enough of a margin that slowing to talk despite its appeal is too tough mentally when every day feels like a challenge to the last 'best time'!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:04 pm

lethoso wrote:If I'm just cruising along I'll wave/wave back, but if I'm putting an effort in I'm unlikely to - focus is elsewhere and the moment's gone too quickly.
Hi

Pretty much the same for me ... really depends on the circumstances and if I can be bothered and frankly I really don't care if people say hello or not ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Chris249 wrote:I turn up to race and time trials with a $500 roadie or $600 TT bike, no-name jersey and knicks and MTB shoes, and have never had a single unfavourable remark about my gear. Lots of roadies admit that they are gearheads but they just love nice stuff - they don't seem to denigrate people based on what they are riding, but they do cop it from people who ride other sorts of bikes.
Hi

Well said Chris.

Andrew

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Chris249 wrote:I turn up to race and time trials with a $500 roadie or $600 TT bike, no-name jersey and knicks and MTB shoes, and have never had a single unfavourable remark about my gear. Lots of roadies admit that they are gearheads but they just love nice stuff - they don't seem to denigrate people based on what they are riding, but they do cop it from people who ride other sorts of bikes.
Hi

Well said Chris.

Andrew
That's about right Chris, nicely said.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Meh, if you're riding past heaps of people every day it gets annoying.

However if I was out on the open road etc I would do it and also respond.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 am

I wave if I see them looking at me. I don't expect a response.