Ride the world champs course... they dropped the price

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Ride the world champs course... they dropped the price

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

UPDATE: They have dropped the price to $165.....

Ride the worlds

Your chance to ride the 16km section of the world championship course on the morning of the race. Closed roads, timing transponder + jersey provided as well as facilities.

Cost??

Make sure you're sitting down...

$300 :shock: :shock:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Drunkmonkey

Re: Ride the world champs course... on the day of the race!!

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:04 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Ride the worlds

Your chance to ride the 16km section of the world championship course on the morning of the race. Closed roads, timing transponder + jersey provided as well as facilities.

Cost??

Make sure you're sitting down...

$300 :shock: :shock:
You should mention that that the money raised from the ride is going towards the Amy Gillett Foundation :mrgreen:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote: You should mention that that the money raised from the ride is going towards the Amy Gillett Foundation :mrgreen:
Can't see where it states that?? Melbourne ride is a fund raiser for RCH, but it's also significantly cheaper. Only mention of AGF I can see is that they are the official charity partner of the event and you can fundraise for them, bit like the Smith Family and Around the Bay.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:44 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote: You should mention that that the money raised from the ride is going towards the Amy Gillett Foundation :mrgreen:
Can't see where it states that?? Melbourne ride is a fund raiser for RCH, but it's also significantly cheaper. Only mention of AGF I can see is that they are the official charity partner of the event and you can fundraise for them, bit like the Smith Family and Around the Bay.
Click on the tab 'RIDE FOR THE CAUSE'

here is the text when you click on the tab:

Ride the Worlds – Geelong - Ride for the Cause - Amy Gillett Foundation

The 2010 UCI Road World Cycling Championship is proud to support the Amy Gillett Foundation.

The Amy Gillett Foundation's primary objective is to reduce the incidence of injury and death caused by the interaction between cyclists and motorists. In doing so, the AGF hope to promote a safe and harmonious relationship of shared respect between the two groups.

The AGF runs a wide range of education and awareness campaigns:

A Meter Matters: Educating motorists to give an extra metre of space when passing cyclists
Road Right: Helping learner drivers understand how to safely share the road with cyclists by increasing their knowledge of the road rules in relation to cyclists
Aust Cycle: Encouraging and teaching cycling skills for all Australians under a standardized training program presented by accredited cycling trainers
Ride Right: Helping you keep your family safe by purchasing the correct fitting bike and helmet, plus the relevant safety accessories
Amy’s Ride: Fundraising rides conducted around Australia to spread the message about cycling safety
Sporting Scholarship: Putting an up and coming female cyclist on the road to success
Research Scholarship: A three year PHD study on the causal effects of bicycle / vehicle accidents

For more information visit the Amy Gillett Foundation website.

Or support the AGF by fundraising.

Fundraising

BE A CYCLING CHAMPION FOR A DAY & HELP SUPPORT THE AMY GILLETT FOUNDATION - TOGETHER WE CAN HELP KEEP EVERYONE SAFER ON OUR ROADS!

The Amy Gillett Foundation is proud to be associated with the 2010 UCI Road World Cycling Championship as the official charity partner for the Geelong participation event, taking place on Sunday the 3rd of October.

Each year, an average of 35 cyclists are killed and over 2,500 are seriously injured on our roads and many more incidents go unreported. The majority of these collisions involve a motor vehicle and most are preventable. Your participation in this once in a lifetime experience of riding on the official course of the ‘World Champs’ will not only provide you with great memories and an increased respect for the quality of the elite riders that take part, but you will be helping the Amy Gillett Foundation raise much needed funding and raise increased awareness about cycling safety!

YOUR CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE & WIN!

This is also your chance to have your family, friends and business associates sponsor your involvement in the course participation ride where all proceeds that you raise will go towards ongoing Amy Gillett Foundation program development. Every dollar makes a difference.

The highest fundraisers will win fabulous prizes. More details will be available soon.

Start fundraising now - For more information visit this website.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Thats what i read, nowhere does it mention proceeds to agf, only that you can fundraise for them. Compare it to the melbourne ride, clearly states funds to RCH

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Seems like someone's pandering to the lovers of vicarious playacting and demanding a fair penny too. Whatever happened to people just watching and supporting from a respectul distance. Give a donation if you will to charity but do it without expecting anything. I suppose it will be viewed as bragging rights yet again by participants, except it will be just another milestone of mediocrity. Transponders to boot... I'll bet those who did the recent NC 3DT would have liked those for instant results.:lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:11 pm

That is pretty steep...I can do a stage of the TDF for 60Euros if I live in the France...60 euros is about equal to Au$100 as things go.
For a 16km loop :lol: .

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Thats what i read, nowhere does it mention proceeds to agf, only that you can fundraise for them. Compare it to the melbourne ride, clearly states funds to RCH
Hi

That is my take too. Maybe we are missing something here.

Andrew

jwd928

Postby jwd928 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Yep 300 per person, with my son wanting to do it 600 for the day plus costs ==== way to much. Thats $750,000 for the day. Looks as though organisers are again at it, trying to recoup whole event costs out of a particpants event / activity.
I remember the SA Community Challenge had a similar feel , funds raised for event by bike particpants $1 Million , services delivered sweet FA.

O by the way what happened to the idea of an event ride from Melbourne to Geelong on the day of the Womens and Mens ( SAT & Sunday ).
Not mutch but hey you CAN DRIVE DOWN TO GEELONG for this event so long as you get there before all the parking fills up.
No mention of those wishing to ride to the event from Melbourne down to Geelong. But there will be bike parking available.

Asked this question to organisers and got a SEE YOU LATER response.
Maybe we need to send email saying hey whats up with the price and how about a Melbourne - Geelong - Melbourne organised or even traffic managed ride.

melbourne2010@cycling.org.au

Pakman

Postby Pakman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi - I live in Sydney and have decided to come to Melbourne to see the Mens Road Race on Sunday. Will be a few days in Melbourne to see friends/family and do some sight seeing with the family etc. Managed to find some accomodation in Melbourne that is within 5kms of the CBD for a family of 5 that has not bankrupted me.

My plan was to do the Melbourne-Geelong-Melbourne ride on the Sunday. Head out early - get to see the race - head back to Melbourne.

As discussed in this thread - the expensive answer is to sign up to the $300 option and drive to Geelong. That becomes way more expensive if I have to rent a car because the family might want to do something whilst I am watching the Race.

Thus - I am looking for any suggestions re: any clubs or shops that I could contact who might be planning to do the return ride to Geelong on the Sunday. I thought that heaps of people would be riding to the Race but have not seen any discussion of it beside this thread.

Also - I am interested if anyone has any feedback on the road conditions for cyclists between Melbourne and Geelong. Are there breakdown lanes/wide shoulders or do you have to share dedicated car lanes?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Pakman, there are alternative routes to Geelong other than the most direct ie picking up the Princes Freeway at Werribee. ( You are not allowed onto the freeway any closer to Melb) The freeway has a shoulder but is never nice with 3 lanes of traffic whizzing by at 100km/hr. ARTB use the freeway but quieter roads are better imo. Unless there is a group ride organised from Melbourne I would suggest catching a train to Werribee station as it is dreary riding through the western 'burbs. Head out towards the You Yangs via Bulban Road then swing down to Little River, Lara and find your way to the course via Shell Parade and North Shore. Alternatively there is a bike path alongside the new Geelong Ring Road that will take you round the back to the course.

jwd928

Postby jwd928 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Suggest a civil dissobediance ride from from Federation square down to Geelong using Wetsgate bridge and route via Williams town / Altona / Seaholme / Altona Meadows / Point cook / Werribee / then via princess to Geelong.

For the return suggest catching a train.

Total stupidity of not having an organised Melb - Gel - Melb ride.

Question ?? mens road race start in Melbourne and travels to Geelong then dose a couple of laps. Wont there already be some traffic management in place for the journey to Geelong?? Why not utilise this for a public ride???

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 pm

just image if they would be selling those tickets, how al of those cyclist would have to fit into a course of 16,000 meters....

I would say...not !!
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am

Hi

On the topic of the Worlds, Cycling Tips has put together a video of route, well part of it ...

Andrew

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 am

Surprise surprise...... price for this has dropped by nearly 50%. Now only $165 which is much better value. If I didnt have a bucks party the night before I would be in. :x