Marauder Neck rest (John)

}SkOrPn--7

Marauder Neck rest (John)

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi John just seen your handy work on the "Marauder Neck Rest" you have done a very good job at producing a simplistic and light weight rest which just adds to the remainder of your work so well done mate.

Ricky

John Lewis

Re: Marauder Neck rest (John)

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks Ricky,
Made up from various ideas on the net. Seems you've been looking over on Atomic Zombie. I posted some pics of that bike and the seat cushion here. Guess I should resurrect it and add the rest details as it might be of help to others here. I should have made it a whisker longer so I may remake the Ali part. About 10 mins work. Takes longer for the paint to dry.

John

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:01 am

G'Day John yeah I had been poking my nose around over at Atomic and once again you caught my eye. Yes you need to update the "Marauder" thread here with this latest edition of your creation as I just love this bike and the work you have done on it. With the neck rest being a little short you can't extend the bolt holes in the alloy plate to be slits so it moves up and down to fine tune the position or isn't there enough material to do this to save making another? I have to agree with you when paint is involved and your waiting for it to dry it becomes a pain in the butt because you just want to keep going. Anyway John get the images over here and update your thread so all can see and learn from you and again thanks I enjoyed the read and build of your neck rest.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Gee, Its ages since SkOrPn asked me to write this up here. Well better late than never.

Having ridden my Marauder for a while now, I have noticed the need for a head/neck rest on longer rides. In fact it will be a neck rest as our mandatory helmets preclude a head rest.

I bent up a couple pieces of 40 x 2.5 mm aluminium as below. I tried them and settled on the one on the left.

Here you see all the makings. The pieces of Aluminium, a small rectangle of ply and two pop rivets. The ali piece on the right was not used.

The material in the background is a scrap of the AC10 material that I made my seat cushion from. I will use it to fashion the pad. We'll see how it goes and possibly I may use foam if this is too hard.

I slotted the aluminium and bent it to shape. After painting it was pop riveted to the wood. The top seat bolt will run through the slot and hold the rest in position with room for some adjustment. I can also slightly bend the Ali parts too to get a more comfortable position.

Here is a shot of the completed rest sans the neck cushion.

I made the little cushion in the same way as the seat cushion but with four layers instead of three. I had to lengthen the slot a bit and adjust a little to fit.

Took it out for a short ride and it seemed to work fine. There were no issues with vibration and bumps so all is good.

Here is the neck rest fitted

Looks like that wrinkly old coot is due for a haircut too.

John Lewis

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Ah there we go John it took a while but well worth it mate I just luv this addition you did and the simplicity but don't worry about wrinkly old coot it adds to the charm of the character. You missed just one more image to add to this page and that's the whole bike and I know there is another thread made by you which show cases it but you can't have enough of this Marauder for all to see it's glory and your fine workmanship on display it's just fantastic.

Ricky