Riding to NSW sign

Curoch

Riding to NSW sign

Postby Curoch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 am

Hi all

Been trying to do some research on the feasibility of this, and I'd thought someone who's done this might have some practical advice. I'm planning to ride up Northbourne through to the Australian Federal Highway to the "Welcome to NSW" sign. Is there any safety aspects I should be concerned about? Are we allowed on the highways on road bikes?

Google maps show that the left shoulder on the Federal Highway is gravel, but the right shoulder is nicely paved. Would it be dangerous to ride on the right side (near the median)?

Ah, the work involved just to say that you've biked to NSW. :D

Cheers

A

HAKS

Re: Riding to NSW sign

Postby HAKS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:51 am

No problems at all. It's a common route by many roadies who continue out to Lake George or turn off the highway at Sutton etc. I've done it a few times. The shoulder is wide enough, just have to be careful when there are exit lanes or merging lanes as I've had some cars exit without indicating.

Both shoulders are sealed, not sure where the gravel came from? I would def stick to the left shoulder. Also just watch out for debris ie. ripped truck tyres etc

For higher res images check out http://www.nearmap.com

When you planning the trip? Might head out there myself tomorrow morning.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Curoch

Postby Curoch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:57 am

HAKS wrote:No problems at all. It's a common route by many roadies who continue out to Lake George or turn off the highway at Sutton etc. I've done it a few times. The shoulder is wide enough, just have to be careful when there are exit lanes or merging lanes as I've had some cars exit without indicating.

Both shoulders are sealed, not sure where the gravel came from? I would def stick to the left shoulder. Also just watch out for debris ie. ripped truck tyres etc

For higher res images check out http://www.nearmap.com

When you planning the trip? Might head out there myself tomorrow morning.
Whoa quick response. Thanks!

Doing it tomorrow morning I think, with a friend. Hopefully I won't get another goddamn flat. The stock tyres I've got on my bike are kinda like politicians - they look good, but they do nothing. :?

I would ask to tag along, but I'm gloriously unfit and n00b and I don't want to be a pest or danger to you :mrgreen:

Cheers

A

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 am

Hey curoch, I'm interested in doing that too. :o what time are you thinking of doing it?

Curoch

Postby Curoch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 am

LoveB wrote:Hey curoch, I'm interested in doing that too. :o what time are you thinking of doing it?
PM me and we'll set it up. Not comfortable discussing travel details on a public forum :?

I am paranoid.

Regards

A

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:52 am

Curoch wrote:
LoveB wrote:Hey curoch, I'm interested in doing that too. :o what time are you thinking of doing it?
PM me and we'll set it up. Not comfortable discussing travel details on a public forum :?

I am paranoid.

Regards

A
ah indeed,will pm :D

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 pm

What tyres you running?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Curoch

Postby Curoch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:41 am

HAKS wrote:What tyres you running?
Stock tyres. They are maxxis detonators. Waiting till I have some extra cash and I'm going to swap them out for something that actually works.

Cheers

A

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:47 am

I've got them on my bike and find them to be just about bulletproof.

Curoch

Postby Curoch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 am

Ross wrote:I've got them on my bike and find them to be just about bulletproof.
No offense, but I've already had 2 punctures in less than 300km, and I ride pretty carefully on paths and roads.

Almost had one today, and to pick the crap out of the tyre when I got home. Ah well. Seems like everyone's milage is different.

Cheers

A

Curoch

Postby Curoch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Mission Accomplished :D

50km round trip (up to sign, past it to a safe place to turn around) and then down to Lake Burley Griffin, turning back at Fyshwick end.

Cheers for all the help!

Regards

A