How many weeks from 5k to 10k

casual_cyclist

How many weeks from 5k to 10k

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:54 am

In about 2 weeks I will be ready to bridge from 5k to 10k and was wondering how many weeks I should spread my training over.

I don't want to overdo it and get injured but equally, I need to start training for 20k after that so can't spend all year...
<removed by request>

whitey

Re: How many weeks from 5k to 10k

Postby whitey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:19 am

Isnt the rule of thumb maximum 10% increase per week to avoid injury with a -40% 4th week for recovery cycle.

So (with some rounding) something that looks like this:
Week 1-5K
Week 2-5.5K
Week 3-6K
Week 4-4K
Week 5-6K
Week 6-7K
Week 7-8K
Week 8-5K
Week 9-8K
Week 10-9K
Week 11-10K (WooHoo)
Week 12-6K

Disclaimer - I could have it horribly wrong. I use the training plans from http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ I am pretty careful with running as I find it leaves me sore and fatigued compared to the Swim/Cycle and I dont want an injury.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 pm

whitey wrote:Isnt the rule of thumb maximum 10% increase per week to avoid injury with a -40% 4th week for recovery cycle.

So (with some rounding) something that looks like this:
Week 1-5K
Week 2-5.5K
Week 3-6K
Week 4-4K
Week 5-6K
Week 6-7K
Week 7-8K
Week 8-5K
Week 9-8K
Week 10-9K
Week 11-10K (WooHoo)
Week 12-6K

Disclaimer - I could have it horribly wrong. I use the training plans from http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ I am pretty careful with running as I find it leaves me sore and fatigued compared to the Swim/Cycle and I dont want an injury.
Looks right to me. I actually know the 10% rule but didn't think to apply it in such a simple way. Sometimes the best solutions are simple. Thanks! :D
<removed by request>

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I must admit, I'm confused. 5K what to 10k what? Km? 5km a day, week, hour? If it is km's, are there some limiting factors that have kept you at '5k'?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 pm

twizzle wrote:I must admit, I'm confused. 5K what to 10k what? Km? 5km a day, week, hour? If it is km's, are there some limiting factors that have kept you at '5k'?
Sorry, I should have been more clear... I am talking about running. I am training for a half IM which has a 21km run. When I started training I didn't run at all and struggled to run for 60 seconds. I have now achieved a 5km run albeit in 37 minutes which is dreadfully slow. My plan is to spend the next couple of weeks bringing that speed down through a combo of hills, intervals (speed training) and distance.

When I start bridging from 5k to 10k I will be running 15km a week, so my goal is to build up from 15km per week to 30km per week, which as per above is going to take about 12 weeks.

If I start on or around the 1st of October I should be able to run 10km by Christmas. Starting mid Jan I can again bridge from 10k to 20k in another 12 weeks which means I will be running 20k before the HIM with enough time for tapering...

each 12 week program will be made up of a hills, intervals (speed training) and distance as any good running program should :wink:
<removed by request>

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:00 pm

When I was at uni they had a program called "run a marathon in 7 weeks" The marathon was the total of all the runs added up (not done in one go).
This was supposed to be for non-runners, it was just once a week running, 3km the first week, increasing by 1km each week until 10km on the final week. Seemed to work pretty well.
Only problem I recall is prickles in the grass at some point ( I did it barefoot).

There is apparently a lot to be said for mixing running and walking, can even be quicker than running non-stop very slowly.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

mikedufty wrote:When I was at uni they had a program called "run a marathon in 7 weeks" The marathon was the total of all the runs added up (not done in one go).
This was supposed to be for non-runners, it was just once a week running, 3km the first week, increasing by 1km each week until 10km on the final week. Seemed to work pretty well.
Only problem I recall is prickles in the grass at some point ( I did it barefoot).

There is apparently a lot to be said for mixing running and walking, can even be quicker than running non-stop very slowly.
The Couch to 5k program is walking with running intervals. Walk, run 60 seconds repeat etc...

It works for me. From Week 1 Day 1 to running 5k was actually only 3 weeks but I had being doing prep work for a couple of weeks beforehand and also inline skating for crosstraining.
<removed by request>

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 pm

OK, sounds good. I borrowed a really good book on ultra-marathon running from the Albany public library once and got all inspired, that recommended mixing walking and running. I don't think I ever ended up going more than 30km in one go though. Maybe 70 on a rogaine once, but that would've been mostly walking.

The book had an interesting section on the history of "pedestrianism" which was apparently a major sport before the advent of bicycles, trains, cars etc. Even had some old training methods and recommended diet (mainly different varieties of beer, stout etc and what time of day to drink them).

can't remember the name of the book, but there is a bit on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrianism

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 am

I am not an expert but I would not be too fussed with running speed work at your stage of running development.

Get some km in the legs and build endurance. A half-ironman run leg is not about running quick it is about being able to not slow down.

Keep building your long run using the 10% rule. Don't get to 10km and stay there while you try to build speed. Use your long run as a long run to get the km up, if you want to do hills and intervals do them in other work outs but I would say work on getting your long run up to 15-20km and your weekly total up to 40-50km before you worry too much about speed.

The other big thing here (and this is talknig from personal experience) you are more likely to injure yourself doing speed work.

NigelW

Postby NigelW » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 am

Like what has already been said - avoid the speed work. Get km's in your legs and it will feel a lot easier on the day.
I did Busso last year, and got injured in Feb (by ignoring the 10% rule!!!!) and I only had 3 runs over 10km before the day. The run was messy, as I knew it would be, but I had built a reasonable bike fitness so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
I'm planning on doing it again next year, and not getting injured this time, and don't really care about doing speedwork. All I want to do is do lots of kms to get my legs back where I want them to be.
One saying is speedwork is the icing on the cake, but first you have to bake the cake and do the kms :)
Good luck with your training - I'm on BT also. If you're really desperate you can read my report from last year.........!
Nigel

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 am

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/105.shtml

Whatever running I do I focus on form over anything else. There is no point grinding out long hours of junk kilometres with sloppy form. When I am struggling to finish and interval and I'm really feeling tired I focus on tightening up my form and running really well. It helps me finish the interval and trains me to run well when I am tired. It's working so far and I remain injury free.
<removed by request>

term

Postby term » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Hey, I had the same quesiton as this actually as I've entered into the bridge to brisbane, and slowly ramping up to do the Mooloolabah tri next march, so thought b2b would be a good first 10km.. I was at 5k, got to 26 mins, then just went screw it and one day ran to 10 k, now I do 10k once a week and two interval days of around 7 k, 5 timed and warmups each side I can do ten in 59 mins

I've been loosely following this guide for 10k, best I've seen yet:

http://www.endurancetraining.com.au/Art ... 0Event.pdf