Gap Creek Rd - Bitumen?

ValleyForge

Gap Creek Rd - Bitumen?

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 pm

I know Gap Creek Rd is popular with the MTBs, but I hear it's now sealed.

If anyone knows that would be great - something to break the monotony of Cootha for us roadies.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

MountGower

Re: Gap Creek Rd - Bitumen?

Postby MountGower » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Yes, sadly this is true.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 am

Yep, now sealed, for better or worse. :?:

well actually for roadies this is a bit of a bonus, beacuse it is a nice ride, in fact a very nice ride. :)

I prefer the south to north direction.

But i think the road could have been done better, the narrow points show a real lack of insight for bicycles, common problem in brisbane road engineering.

I also think there should be video cameras and speed cameras on this road, to keep a track of hoons.
My opinion, and i am sure a lot of residents out at The Gap would agree with me on that one.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Rode it last week-end. A much more satisfying ride than Cootha.

Done anti-clockwise from South Brisbane, coming back through Kenmore & Fig Tree Pocket. The choke points do slow the cars down, but as we only saw two, seems OK.

Purt

Postby Purt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 pm

What is the actual point of putting traffic calming on that road?

Stop people from going fast and harming kids playing in the street?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I can confess to scaring myself & my teenage mates in my Datsun 1200 doing silly speeds on the road in the 80's long before it was graded or even sealed.

I'm sure that without the chicanes or bumps that Hondas with Mugen power stickers would be all over the road like a rash.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Rode it last week-end. A much more satisfying ride than Cootha.

Done anti-clockwise from South Brisbane, coming back through Kenmore & Fig Tree Pocket. The choke points do slow the cars down, but as we only saw two, seems OK.
Did it this morning, considerably more traffic, as you would expect since it is the defacto north-south commuter route for tradies.

6 am, Started at Rosalie Village.
Via Toowong, Westernfreeway bikepath, Kenmore roundabout, Brookfield rd, Gap Creek rd, TheGap to IthacaCreek bikepath(wet and slimy), Ashgrove(slight detour), Cooper'sCreek rd. Bardon
7.30am. Finish at Rosalie village.

I am sure it can be done quicker with a few short cuts and a faster bike. (did it on my 1988 Repco)

A great ride, need low gear for the short sections of 16 percent gradient.(yum)
The climb is not as long as Mt Coot-tha, road surface is good.
Consider a quickie coffee at The Bean, Kenmore before you hit the bush

Need reasonable brakes for some sharp corners.
Steve.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Sounds like a good loop except from the Western Freeway to Kenmore. Moggil Rd is the epitome of death.
Nonetheless, I rode this today and it's very good. Best to go in the morning when the families and tradies aren't there. Most drivers seem respect and modest of cyclists here.

The descent is short but quick. Best to leave a gap with the car infront of you at the turnaround because you will catch up to them very easily.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds like a good one to explore! Thanks for the heads up...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

molly

Postby molly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Rode this again south to north on Sunday morning (around 5.30), very nice ride at that time with no cars, definitely wouldn't be keen trying to head out there when there is traffic (as said before, getting out there would be the first problem - moggil rd :| ).

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Shpox wrote:Sounds like a good loop except from the Western Freeway to Kenmore. Moggil Rd is the epitome of death.
Nonetheless, I rode this today and it's very good. Best to go in the morning when the families and tradies aren't there. Most drivers seem respect and modest of cyclists here.

The descent is short but quick. Best to leave a gap with the car infront of you at the turnaround because you will catch up to them very easily.
Please AVOID Moggill Rd through Kenmore. As suggested above it is tight and windy and the racing line for cars is often with the left wheel in the concrete of the gutter. It literally can be a death trap - RIP Richard Pollet 27/9/2011.

Here is the way to avoid it. This is part of my daily work commute: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/237768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This doesn't take you all the way to the Gap Creek Rd turnoff but avoids the nasty section through Kenmore. You can also avoid that hill on Brookfield Road but requires a bit of a detour through suburbia - safe but 5km longer. Let me know if you want the route.

Edit - And South to North is definitely the safer way to climb Gap Creek Rd. On the southside there is much more shoulder, with the exception of a few traffic calming / cyclist stressing pinch points. Traffic is generally light though and thus these points can be easily managed. Going the other way there is no shoulder for extended periods for the climb and the lead up to the climb. Its also quite windy so motorists don't always have much notice of your presence and that of oncoming vehicles travelling at speed down the hill.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Going the north to south way you can ride through the back of Chapel Hill via Bielby, Greenford, Chapel Hill, Russell Rd then under the Western Freeway to join back onto the path to get back to Toowong.
Lisa