Canyon Ultimate CF Pro

Flyingscotsman

Canyon Ultimate CF Pro

Postby Flyingscotsman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey Guys,

New to the Forum, i am looking at a couple of bike options and came across the Canyon. From all reports i have seen this looks like a fantastic bike for the money. You buy direct from the factory and they ship the bike to you..

My question is, will i be hit with a huge import duty bill if i import a bike from overseas?

Do any of you have experiance with doing this?

Thanks For your help.

Sy.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:26 pm

G'day Sy,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer the questions for you, but here's a link to the bike for you (you can't post links until you've been here 7 days and made 10 posts).

Which model were you looking at? The 7, 8 or 9?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:47 pm

No personal experience but a pretty savvy club mate has a Canyon targeted for his next update. By all accounts it is a good deal.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tim_james

Postby tim_james » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi,

I think that you will be hit with a tax when you import the bike. As far as I know, when you bring anything into the country with a price higher than $1000 AUD you have to pay the tax. I could be wrong though. Maybe check the government website.

Flyingscotsman

Canyon Ultimate CF Pro

Postby Flyingscotsman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Hey Graeme

I am looking at the Pro 7, its the cheapest out the lot and i already have some stuff that i can add that would boost the spec to what the 9 is.

from my research the frames and forks are identical and that you effectively pay for the additional componants.

I have a set of Campy Shamals and some carbon bars so just want a decent package to get going.

I am still abit unsure of what charges i will get hit with if i bought the bike.

Tried to speak to customs about it but they were not much help.

Simon

sogood

Re: Canyon Ultimate CF Pro

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Flyingscotsman wrote:Tried to speak to customs about it but they were not much help.
10% GST flat.

Further, duty free allowance for importing goods with you ie. Plane or ship ride, is A$900. You actually get an extra $100 buffer for mail order.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:53 am

+5% import duty then add 10% GST on that total. :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:25 am

So...total plus 5% plus 10% plus postage....$3750 ish? or do you get the first $1k duty free?...that is starting to sound like quite an expensive mail order bike that would be a nightmare for warranty.Only 3 sizes available..I have to say the geometry for the 64cm sounds good for me but for a chorus level bike is it a good deal?.
Especially when you can something like this Felt Ultegra for same price or less?.
Maybee it is a good deal :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:01 am

Some people try to avoid the tax by buying components on separate orders and assembling the bike themselves. Also means you can get exactly the components you want.

However I'm with toolong on this, that been that you get support for warranty issues if you buy local.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Flyingscotsman

Canyon.

Postby Flyingscotsman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:50 am

The same could be said about building the bike myself, the warenty is out the window.

from the import duty side of things i have managed to calculate how uch the duty would be and its not as bad as i first thought.

I am still a little unsure though as many of you have pointed out, they are fairly new to the bike scene and if there was a problem i could not get this fixed quickly.

Bugger it

i will just go and buy the BMC Team machine.. :twisted:

toolonglegs

Re: Canyon.

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:56 am

Flyingscotsman wrote:The same could be said about building the bike myself, the warenty is out the window.
I nearly always build my on my bikes and never have a problem with warranty.
Who is you LBS?.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 am

Yea i looked hard into importing a cervelo frame from the states as they are much cheaper there.

But in the end i was happy to buy locally because they had their end of year specials 800$ off the rrp, a wheel upgrade from easton vista's to circuits, pedals and a extra set of tires ( with the red stripe!) .

Flyingscotsman

lbs

Postby Flyingscotsman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:14 pm

My local bike shop is King of the mountain.

but i do use bike bug, and Le spit because i get a discount through my tri club sometimes.

they are all good shops but i think KOM AND Bike bug have much better range of stuff.

toolonglegs

Re: lbs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:46 am

Flyingscotsman wrote:My local bike shop is King of the mountain.

but i do use bike bug, and Le spit because i get a discount through my tri club sometimes.

they are all good shops but i think KOM AND Bike bug have much better range of stuff.
yes both very nice (expensive) shops...no wonder you want to import :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:45 am

Halfanewb wrote:+5% import duty then add 10% GST on that total. :)
Sure about that 5% import duty? I have not looked into buying whole bike or frame by O/S mail-order in the past, but for components, it's been 10%.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Not 100% sure sogood, mainly because the customs website is a bit of a mess and i could only find one calculation so i assume it is for all goods.

But thats what i read on the site , also they log incoming packages so if someone does decide the buy a bike and get it shipped over in >$1000 lots, they add up the amounts from the same shipper and slap the tax on once your over the 1k.

clear as mud i know, i wish i could get a more definitive answer.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:52 pm

That 5% may be explained by a situation where there's domestic production of a product. But I can't remember if that rule went out the door when GST and free trade agreements came in. Anyway, for anyone contemplating O/S orders, factor in all the potential costs is important. Personally, I would be a lot more cautious with buying a frame from overseas given warranty coverage issues. The risk of a brake caliper or derailleur going wrong is relatively low and would be something I can absorb the cost of if needs to be, but not so for a frame.

gordon

Postby gordon » Sat May 17, 2008 4:14 am

Did you know you can claim the European VAT which is 17.5%, this shoud cancel out any import taxes. The new Canyon is an excellent bike.