Chamoix Cream

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Zac150

Chamoix Cream

Postby Zac150 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 pm

I may be classed as cynical for asking this question, is chamoix cream just nappy rash cream packaged up for cyclists at triple the price?

I ask as I have a few sets of knicks (triathlon knicks), which are starting to get a little big for me and chaffing on runs :( , just to get in first , yes I know this serves me right for running 8).

foo on patrol

Re: Chamoix Cream

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Can't answer that question but, I used to use Lanolin cream back in the late 70s-early 80s. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:18 pm

I don't think so. I think nappy cream has zinc in it to keep moisture out. You're welcome to try it though. :D

flammer

Postby flammer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah, zinc to protect the skin from urine. Of course if that's your problem, go nappy cream. :wink:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Zac150 wrote:I may be classed as cynical for asking this question, is chamoix cream just nappy rash cream packaged up for cyclists at triple the price?

I ask as I have a few sets of knicks (triathlon knicks), which are starting to get a little big for me and chaffing on runs :( , just to get in first , yes I know this serves me right for running 8).
It's different, look at the ingredients

Zac150

Postby Zac150 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Cheers for the advice and no I don't need zinc.

Are their any brands people recommend? I have only really seen "Aussie But Cream".

mianos

Postby mianos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 pm

I like the Elite Ozone one. It goes a long way and it smells nice in a menthol way. Recommended.
I never both taking it with me to Europe so I just use panthenol cream for 110k+ rides, like nappy cream, no zink.
Either way I use very little. On the other hand with good nicks and my Selle San Marco saddle I don't usually have an issue.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm

you can get chamois cream that soaks up urine? there's a revelation :)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Aussie Butt Cream. made in agga Wagga (can you get more Aussie than that?) and used by AIS cyclists. My favourite. Just don't put it on the bedside table 'coz your missus will get really worried!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi

I have tried a few brands and summarised my experience here. My current favourite is Chamois Butt’r which you can get from ProBikeKit for a cheaper price than I have listed in the posting.

Andrew
Andrew

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I use Lucas" Papaw Ointment. Works for me.

Kind of like a tasty natural version of Vasoline. A girl at work uses it on her lips, she was applying it one day as I walked past and before I could stop myself I said "Oh, I use that on my *rse" and gee, didn't I get a funny look!

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

stevebaby

Postby stevebaby » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 pm

I used to make my own chamois cream back in the pre-Brooks saddle days.That's before I bought the first one,not before they were first made!
I bought a 500gm. tub of sorbolene(aka "skin repair cream) from a supermarket and mixed a couple of dessert-spoons of honey into it.The honey is a very effective anti-biotic with no side effects and bugs (including Golden Staph.)don't become resistant to it.
It's a bit sticky until it dries,which is about 10 minutes or so, but I never noticed it while riding. The cocncoction was very good at preventing chafing and infections and 500gms. cost about $4.
Interestingly,about the same time that I acquired the first Brooks,I was taking a medication that caused dry skin.I had a temporary relapse of chafing and a couple of infected boil-like thingys. One of the nurses (a touring cyclist :)) suggested that I change from using regular bar soap to one of the many liquid body washes with moisturer in it. Again,from the supermarket.
I've been doing on average about 200kms. a week since then...no chamois,no chamois cream...and not a single incident of chafing or infection.
The nurse's opinion,FWIW,was that the chamois wicked away sweat,taking the natural oils in the skin with it and the resulting dry skin was very susceptible to chafing and infection.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Zac150 wrote:Cheers for the advice and no I don't need zinc.

Are their any brands people recommend? I have only really seen "Aussie But Cream".
"Aussie" has tea tree oil, I find it v/good
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Butt! Butt! Butt1

Well, it is the 10th anniversary of the NSW money-shredding festival known as the Olympic Games.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Yep, they're all wandering around outside now. Looking like lost and confused sheep.

'Tis all a bit sad, really.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Udderly sMOOth 8)

Only started using it recently and this is the only one ive tried. Ive never needed it before but I find the more im riding 3 different bikes with 3 different saddles, sometimes in knicks and sometimes just shorts/trousers. My bits cant get used it :twisted:

It was pretty cheap as well.

And yes, it was developed for milking cows apparently :lol:

So if you......You can....yeh umm, I aint goin there...

pagey

Postby pagey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm

What is the minimum distance/time you ride without using Chamoix Cream?
cheers
Pagey

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:27 pm

30-40km and I dont bother.[thats a trip into the cbd and return] I never use it when wearing regular clothes. I use it on the roadie and mtb. Any they vary but around 70+km on the roadie and 40-50km on the mtb. Just under 3hrs on the roadie and 3-4hrs on the mtb.

Anything longer than that and it starts to be really worthwhile I think.

trueman

Postby trueman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Do you apply it direct to skin or onto the pad?
Excuse newbie question. :P

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Skin and just small amount on each side. Not much more than a thick dose of suncream.

Some people trowl it on like mortar :lol: But I think your body shape will have something to do with it, when my legs were twigs I didnt need any but since they are a bit chunkier I started to chafe sometimes on longer rides.

I think you can apply it to the chamoix but I dont think its really needed with modern gear. I think the practice is a hangover from the old days when you had to keep it lubed or it would dry stiff as a board!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I slap some on for any ride of an hour or more. Strangely, I find it really good on cold mornings when I don't sweat as much.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Courtesy of a bunch of free samples that were handed-out at Ausbike Expo I have been able to do a comparo between Chamois Butt'r, Qoleum and Aussie Butt Cream.

First thing is that all three are very good products. Second thing is I can only relate them to myself.

So, Aussie Butt Cream comes out on top for overall effectiveness and ease of application. Chamois Butt'r is the same sort of consistency but does not seem to have the same long-lasting effect and Qoleum has staying power but, being petroleum jelly based, is quite greasy.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Baldy wrote:Udderly sMOOth 8)

+1. Works well. Had the Assos stuff 1st, but this does the same at 1/3rd the cost. Only improvement would be to put it in a tube for easier application.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Some posters in this thread have been talking about Zinc Oxide as if it is a bad thing. It has many properties including anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effects, but it is not included in all nappy rash creams. Zinc has no effect as a moisture barrier, other components of the creams take care of that bit.

As to the original question, the dedicated Chamoix creams do a very similar job to nappy cream and it might be interesting to compare them. I note however that Amolin, Bepanthen and Curash are all quite different in their composition. (I have small children)

For the record, Amolin is my choice for riding, though I don't bother for anything less than an hour. I have always applied it to the pad, probably merely out of habit (yes I have ridden with genuine leather chamoix and those nicks were terrific to wear but a pain to look after). I might apply it to skin next time just for variety.

Cheers,

Cameron.