Gluten Free and Vegan Energy Products

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm not affiliated with the company I'm about to mention, but I'm a vegan and my wife has Coeliac's disease so things aren't always easy for us, especially when it comes to things like energy/protein bars, chews etc. At the recent Gluten Free Expo, I got to try some of these nutrition bars and chewy shark shaped lollies which would be perfect for cyclists with or without dietary difficulties. I bought a whole heap of these and they've got 20% off now, so i thought I would pass it along to those who "suffer" from veganism or coeliacs or other dietary differences.

http://app.mailmachine.co.nz/T/ViewEmai ... 7C670A6B9F

Cheers,
David

Cinder

Re: Gluten Free and Vegan Energy Products

Postby Cinder » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Sheesh....

Gluten free and Vegan, I thought I had it hard finding something that was Fructose free (which really was not hard at all)...
*** insert signature here ***

death valley 69

Postby death valley 69 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Dried Figs. :)

Mallacai

Postby Mallacai » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 pm

I am also gluten intolerant and the wife is vegetarian.

I cycle and she runs. She has found a recipe that meets both our energy food needs but found this link useful also.

Thanks
Travelling at the speed of slow

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:25 am

Mallacai wrote:I am also gluten intolerant and the wife is vegetarian.

I cycle and she runs. She has found a recipe that meets both our energy food needs but found this link useful also.

Thanks
Recipe? Don't leave us hanging. What is it?

number21

Postby number21 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Just my 2 cents, I've been told to try gluten free for a while and after about a month or so have found a few gluten free energy products.

Aussie bodies protein powder
Endura energy bars
winners gels
pb Sports gels
Bounce make energy/protein balls that are really nice but are $2-3 per ball. They look like they'd be pretty simple to make at home though.

After being told I can't have porridge I was gutted although I found this stuff called power-up porridge, looks like bird seed until you cook it and get it creamy, and I really like it.

Can't find a good bread though, anyone out there know a good one? The bread mix boxes are pretty good, but the loafs I've tried are pretty horrid.

Mallacai

Postby Mallacai » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:00 pm

i get a brand of gf free bread made by Zehnder.

May need to look around for it, or even see if they list distributors in our area.

is one of the better loaves of bread i have eaten.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 pm

number21 wrote:Can't find a good bread though, anyone out there know a good one? The bread mix boxes are pretty good, but the loafs I've tried are pretty horrid.
We get our bread from Naturally Gluten Free. We buy a whole box at a time and the postage is $9 for several weeks worth of bread. They ship on the east coast. The bread, buns and pizza bases are truly the best there are as far as GF products go. http://www.naturallyglutenfree.com.au/

David

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Me and g1ofmany are fine, the rest are mutants (said ever so lovingly) so we use a lot of GF foods. I'll eat most of it but not bread, even pizza bases, but not bread. So much so that we've worked out our own flour mix and make about 8 kg at a time. MoM makes 2 loaves now every other day and I will use it for toast. PM me for the recipe if you want it.

Here's something I worked on as an energy bar. It's savoury rather than sugary so you can eat it on a long ride or for lunch (my many love it for lunch or dinner) Just remember I have to make commercial quantities for my lot so I'm attempting here to reduce it to a more manageable size for most.

it contains
Rice
Bacon
Sundried tomatoes
Onion
Mixed herbs
and egg

So boil up some water and chuck in a cup and a half of rice. boil for 10min. drain when done and don't wash it.
in the meantime chop up a small onion finely and a couple of rashers of bacon and pan fry (saute) them
also chop up a couple of sundried tomatoes really finely and then add them to the onion and bacon.
Stir in a teaspoon of mixed herbs and an egg and then almost cook it. Don't worry the egg will continue to cook.
Chuck the lot in with the drained rice and stir it through.

then press this firmly into a lined slice tray so you now have a 2cm thick slab of ricemix.

Let it cool and slice it up, wrap in foil and put in your jersey pocket.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm

That recipe is similar to the Cervelo Test Team rice cakes that are apparently used as currency in the peloton.

David

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Something I've found that works pretty well for me is the fruit bars which are in super markets usually in heath food aisle. They fit easy in a back pocket, have similar energy level per serve as some of the gels, low GI, and taste like jam.

Also, they are about $6 for a pack of six which makes them way cheaper than the gels

Thanks David - will have to try the Sharkies as well.

PS - They are gluten free (I'm coeliac) and sutiable for vegans if your that way inclined as well.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That recipe is similar to the Cervelo Test Team rice cakes that are apparently used as currency in the peloton.

David
very observant, I tried theirs but it was a bit too bland for my taste so I tweaked it, maybe I should send it back to them.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Apologies for the hijack...an alternative view...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 am

eucryphia wrote:Apologies for the hijack...an alternative view...
If you're going to head down that path, please take it to the Halfway Cafe for discussion. This is the Health forum. The information posted was for the benefit of coeliacs, which is a disease, and vegans, which is a lifestyle choice (for most). Many coeliac products are vegan and vice versa. Some cyclists have coeliacs disease, are vegan or both.

The why of veganism has nothing to do with this thread. Thanks for playing.

David

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 am

Good reply David. In any case I love to read and try different recipes, bring em on. :-)

Mallacai

Postby Mallacai » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Mallacai wrote:I am also gluten intolerant and the wife is vegetarian.

Thanks
Recipe? Don't leave us hanging. What is it?
apologies. working on it. its hidden deep in the wife's computer where i dare not tread. who knows what i may find.

number21

Postby number21 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks for the help with the bread. I tracked some of the Naturally Gluten Free breads which were way better than others I've tried (gluten free banana bread- yay!). I'll have to give the rice cakes a go!

Cheers, Peter.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Sustagen and Staminade are both gluten free

I found the green (lime flavour) is way better than the berry one

cheers
Jim