Painting/Powder Coating a Fixie Project

surfin' addiction

Re: Painting/Powder Coating a Fixie Project

Postby surfin' addiction » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:33 am

AUbicycles wrote:Cool combo with accessories - tires and assume bar tap and maybe seat - providing a nice colour accent.
Cheers,

I am hoping once the tyres get a bit dirty and worn they'll blend a little more. It's going to have a chrome quill stem and bull horns with white bar tap, a white leather look seat, a polished seat post, pedals, cages and white double straps. The only thing I haven't decided on or bought yet is the front brake. I am unsure on whether to go a white or polished Dia Compe BRS101 caliper or a polished Tektro R538 caliper. But then I am stuck on what lever to get to. I did just want a single finger type lever, similar to a Dia Compe Gold Finger, but can't find any in plain silver or white. And having a single TT/Bull horn lever might look a bit odd. I am thinking maybe a Dia Compe Double Shot lever in silver.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice or if you have any parts that may suit and you want to sell them PM me and maybe we can work something out.
Last edited by surfin' addiction on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 pm

i'd pick a white rolls and a 7800 front caliper

Edit: maybe you need a long reach caliper? :(

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 pm

munga wrote:i'd pick a white rolls and a 7800 front caliper

Edit: maybe you need a long reach caliper? :(
Thanks for the input Mung' but can you be a bit more specific with your suggestions? It will need a medium reach caliper (~57mm, which is the outer most limit of the calipers I was looking at).
-Josh-

munga

Postby munga » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:04 pm

yeah 7800 (dura ace) calipers are something like 39-49mm reach..
rolls:

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 am

so ah, back to the painting topic.....

looks like a nice job surfer & dh, how much did that cost if you dont mind?

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 am

munga wrote:yeah 7800 (dura ace) calipers are something like 39-49mm reach..
rolls:
Thanks for the clarification Munga. Those Calipers will probably come up a bit short in the reach department and are maybe a little more than I'd like to spend. But thanks all the same. That's a fairly nifty looking saddle too.
-Josh-

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Stovepipe wrote:so ah, back to the painting topic.....

looks like a nice job surfer & dh, how much did that cost if you dont mind?
I pm'd you. 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:06 pm

A bit closer to finished.

-Josh-

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:02 am

Balance bikes are really popular!

coming along nicely though.
Cycling is in my BNA

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 am

Hey, starting to look like the evil temptress that we know lies at the heart of all bikes :twisted:

Everything is matching nicely. Perhaps the Rolls saddle mentioned above would be a long term goal. The only reason I say this is that the heart of the beast is a vintage frame, nicely modernised by the new paint. That Rolls saddle fits into the same category I'd say.

In the end it's your ride, and must make you happy. My recently finished single/fixed speed is a good example. Nothing matches, nothing cool, totally practical, totally daggy. Me all over :) (Walked inito Coles yesterday with my pants still tucked into my socks...sigh...fail - EPIC).

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Looks good yehuwdiy,

I quite like the look of that Rolls saddle, but for the time being I think I will just use my spare Specialized that is on there at the moment. It's already broken in, it's white and it'll do. I had looked at on of those Velo Urband saddles in white, to sort of suit the decor and as it was a bit more on the chap side I thought it would be ok. But for now I am just keen to get the parts together to make it move. I can add more 'bling' later.
-Josh-

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Making it move is always #1 priority! I wasn't really having a shot at your saddle as it does look good on the bike :D

I was, in less than eloquent fashion, trying to put forth the question as to what side of the continuum you stood on. I have always pictured the fixie/ singlespeed crowd all fitting along a line, something like this:

Sheldon Brown-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hipsters

This is what my line looks like:

Sheldon Brown----------------------Yehuwdiy--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hipsters

I like lugged steel, care little about weight, have no fashion sense and am going bald so can't get a 'tragic haircut'. This puts me way towards the Sheldon end of the scale.

Where do you sit on the line? :mrgreen:

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:35 pm

Ha ha, no offence taken.

I already have a flat bar roadie that is scratched, has non-matching parts and rarely gets cleaned as my ‘practical bike’ for my 40km commute. I built the fixie more so as a ‘fill in some time after work hours’ project. Something I can cruise down to the shops on, ride from skate park to skate park on the weekend rather than drive, or when I am down the coast, ride down and check the surf out. A mate that I ride with had recently bought a fixie from eBay and I had a few spins on it and really liked the different riding style that you need to adapt to when riding fixed. He has since spent a lot of time and money making it more how he wanted it. I figured rather than buy something someone else had made to suit them I would make mine the way I wanted it and make it look good in the process. The original bike came from the tip one weekend when I was dumping some garden waste and happened to be the style frame I had envisioned for my build and the rest just built from there.

More so to answer the question, I think, weight doesn’t worry me, I wear well fitted jeans, I do not have a moustache, I have a relatively short, practical haircut, I DO drive a car, I surf, skate and snowboard and I DO listen to an iPod when I ride.

I’m not sure where all this puts me on the line, but I like riding my bikes.
-Josh-

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:42 pm

hahahaa, I love that the frame came from the dump. That just makes its journey all that more interesting :)

I'd say the jeans and ipod push you to the right, but the fact that you are actually an active person who rides for practical and enjoyment reason pushes you back to the left a bit....

Sheldon Brown--------------------------------------------------------------Josh----------------------------------------------Hipsters

:mrgreen:

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:56 pm

I suppose I can live with that. I think it's just part of being a Gen Y'er. Kind of guilty until proven innocent I suppose. Does it push me any closer to the middle if I say that I wear lycra when I go on a ride any longer than say 20-30km's?
-Josh-

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

hahahaha, without a doubt! If you put zip-ties in your helmet to keep the maggies away you get mega-move-to-left points :P

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:hahahaha, without a doubt! If you put zip-ties in your helmet to keep the maggies away you get mega-move-to-left points :P
I draw the line at Cable Ties on helmets. That is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If I ever get swooped by a Magpie I may sing a different tune, but in the mean time forget it.
-Josh-

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA I may have to agree with you on that one :lol:

jacksparrow

Postby jacksparrow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 pm

surfin' addiction wrote:
yehuwdiy wrote:hahahaha, without a doubt! If you put zip-ties in your helmet to keep the maggies away you get mega-move-to-left points :P
I draw the line at Cable Ties on helmets. That is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If I ever get swooped by a Magpie I may sing a different tune, but in the mean time forget it.

I used to think exactly the same thing...until you ride through an intersection with a gang of hot chicks waiting at the lights only to be repeatedly swooped by a friggin magpie, and almost swerving into oncoming traffic while trying to laugh it off and still look cool in front of the hot chicks.

You will, like me. Be riding to the nearest BUNNINGS and buying the longest cable ties you can find :D

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:23 pm

So now we're rolling. I'm still just waiting on a brake lever and then the bar tape and the rest will go on. But it's mobile. Went for it's maiden voyage tonight around the block.
I'll post the final pictures when it's 100% complete.

-Josh-

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Big W never predicted this! :lol:

Looks awesome. 8)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am

sweet... looking for a surprise on the bar tape!
Cycling is in my BNA

surfin' addiction

Postby surfin' addiction » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 am

*spoiler alert*
AUbicycles wrote:sweet... looking for a surprise on the bar tape!
It's nothing fancy, just white carbon look tape. I was going to get green that matched the tyres, but thought that might have been a bit too much.
-Josh-

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that it's compulsory to put a little bit of red tape on the last couple of inches. Would realy go nice with the white as well. :mrgreen:

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

That is one sweet looking bike. What brand are the hubs? How much did you spend on parts?