Cadence and speed calculation

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Cadence and speed calculation

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:29 am

Help needed from the mathematically inclined, please.

Fixed gear, 48x18 on 700c wheels, speed attained was 56.7kmh.
Can anyone tell me what cadence that equates to?
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

by BNA » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 am

BNA
 

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 am

2.1m (approx. 700c rollout) x 48/18 = 5.6m per 'rev'

56,700 metres/hour = 945 m/minute

945/5.6 = 169 rpm. :shock:
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4338
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby brauluver » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 am

rustychisel wrote:Help needed from the mathematically inclined, please.

Fixed gear, 48x18 on 700c wheels, speed attained was 56.7kmh.
Can anyone tell me what cadence that equates to?


I'll post you link when I get home that has it all covered.
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 pm

thanks, hmmm 169rpm seems much higher over sustained effort. Thought I was nearer the 200. :oops:

I was over 55kmh for quite some time, maybe 250m, going down the hill north from the Morialta Falls main gates past the Black Hill Conservation Park, on the fixed, of course, Saturday morning.
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby brauluver » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm

plug the permutations into this http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby boyracer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:38 pm

rustychisel wrote:thanks, hmmm 169rpm seems much higher over sustained effort. Thought I was nearer the 200. :oops:

I was over 55kmh for quite some time, maybe 250m, going down the hill north from the Morialta Falls main gates past the Black Hill Conservation Park, on the fixed, of course, Saturday morning.


so will we be seeing you at friday roller racing then?
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:05 pm

where? when?

You callin' me out? :wink:
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby yehuwdiy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Holy bat cave Rustychisel, I think my knees just blew out reading that! You must have rotary legs to spin at those kinds of speeds :P

##Edited, thanks!
Last edited by yehuwdiy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yehuwdiy
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:Holy bat cave Rustychisel, I think my knees just blew out reading that! You must have rotary legs to spin at those kinds of speeds :P


Fixed that for ya. :wink:
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby boyracer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:01 am

Edwardstown velodrome clubrooms friday evening. pacc.org.au
I'm pretty keen and think a few tuesday riders will be on it.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:Holy bat cave Rustychisel, I think my knees just blew out reading that! You must have rotary legs to spin at those kinds of speeds :P

##Edited, thanks!


nay, knees blow out at the other end of the spectrum, doing 8kmh and blowing snot trying to work the same gear through the Montacute Road valley.
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby brauluver » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 pm

boyracer wrote:Edwardstown velodrome clubrooms friday evening. pacc.org.au
I'm pretty keen and think a few tuesday riders will be on it.


Pity about the $70 odd buck$ to enter :shock:
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Cadence and speed calculation

Postby boyracer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

killed it for a lot of us....
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm


Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron