The Good (Proud Dad) And The Bad (AC Joint Blues)

Quad Pain

The Good (Proud Dad) And The Bad (AC Joint Blues)

Postby Quad Pain » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:35 pm

I've not placed this in the topic that JB started concerning The Great Bike Ride as I diverge quite alot from the event itself, feel free to move it if Mods feel appropriate.

Well the Great Bike Ride was one of 2 huge extremes (Good & Bad) for me personally.

Hugely proud of my Son, who rode off in group A and managed to hold onto 2nd place overall in a 3 man breakaway in the 53km 1 lapper. He managed to get into the WAIS JETS squad (junior talent ID programme for U15 & 17s) earlier this year and was great to see him get a result after lots of hard work throughout the last few months.

I had every intention of riding yesterday(obviously in my son's wake who only has to barely raise himself off the saddle and he's 200m in front of me), but instead I'm sat here with a sling on the right arm and what seems a great deformed lump on top of my shoulder.

Cut long story short...last Tuesday riding home from work somebody decided they would turn left into their driveway less than 3 meters in front of me. Don't have to be Einstein to work out that me riding at 30kph and suddenly having to stop was not gonna be pretty. Basically catapulted head first then shoulder into road (In hindsight way to much front brake,but I just wanted to bloody stop).

End result....Helmet caved in one side foam bits everywhere,some superficial abrasions all from helmet on one side of head. But no concussion not even a headache.

Not so lucky my right shoulder.....straight after impact with road my automatic response was get off it, I scrambled over to the kerb and sat on it (swearing alot I must admit). Must of been Adrenaline cause its only then sitting on kerb I realized It was my shoulder that was in trouble. Feeling this great lump on top of it put shits up me a bit.

The daughter of the lady who basically ran me off the road took me to the local GP, wasn't gonna knock her back as I knew that was best place to be. Can't say I was really angry ,apart from the huge F...udgecake I roared out as I sat on Kerb.

At GPs X-Rays confirmed a Grade 3 tear and dislocation of AC Joint and also to top off a fracture of the Clavicle (collar bone). Surgery not advised as with a grade 3 tear its not guaranteed to take but I'm getting second opinion about that.

It's bloody uncomfortable trying to get dressed and shower,sleeping is crap as right side is side I like sleeping on.
Started going legal as I'm not able to work and must say my confidence is Zero right now.

I've taken every precaution I feel In trying to be safe on the road but at the end of the day in some cases it's really beyond our control I guess. Scary thought and that itself is going to be my biggest issue getting back on saddle again.

So yeah yesterday was bittersweet for me but I guess If this is a Heads up or Warning that even household driveways can bring on these incidents then thats a good thing and I'm still here to tell it.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:27 pm

That's great news :D

That's terrible news :cry:

:? I didn't really know what to say to all that - talk about the highs and lows. I can't even go close to feeling your pain, but hopefully you will heal quickly and be able to get back on the bike - one day you will realise you miss it and give it a go. Hopefully insurance can do something to cover you too.

Where abouts in Perth are you? Where were you riding for the hit?

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Congrats to the lad.

Sorry to hear of your crash. I hope you lodged a police report. Insurance commission should take care of your medical expenses and a new helmet at least. I'll PM you some further info.

Les

nimm

Postby nimm » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 am

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope it all heals well :(

As for the son, well that's just fantastic!
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

JB

Postby JB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:35 am

I have also recovered from horrific injuries myself (Rugby Union) and I know it can and is tough.

But you will come out tougher than before - albeit with a few battle wounds to show off?

Chin up buddy, you will get through this.

JB :wink:

Quad Pain

Postby Quad Pain » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Just want say thanks for concerns and helpful info I've received, nice to know people have come through similar set backs to be back riding again.

Been commuting to work since June this year Rain, Hail & Shine,no probs. Just usual cut offs, abuse, not giving way to me etc.

I live in Gosnells and work in Canning Vale, usual route is Corfield St, Spencer Rd, Langford Ave, Roe Hwy (Bike Path) and Willeri. That works out to 14km one way.

Sometimes if I've got to get home a little faster, I'll take back streets till I get to Bannister Rd, Nicholson Rd lights (bloody busy) and cross over onto Wilfred Rd.

This is usually a pretty quiet road after you clear the lights and takes you directly to Spencer Rd.

Half way down though with housing either side, straight road and a bike lane is where somebody decided they would try and beat me into their driveway. Her excuse " I didn't realize you were so close behind me"(deep breath stay calm....lol).

Anyway my Helmet saved my bacon, I've no doubt without it, the way my head collided with the road I would be deceased or in Shenton Park at the very least.

I am going to ride again, the only question mark for me is the commuting. Might just stick to less stressful times.

Once again thanks for all your concerns.

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Bloody unbelieveable mate. I came close a few weeks ago. What was amazing was that the driver sped up to get around and in front of me so clearly knew I was there and then did the big left turn into the driveway. There is absolutely no excuse for this breed of driving.

I hope you repair quickly and manage to get back on the bike as soon as you can.

Congrats to the young fella too. He sounds like he is gonna be something special.