Commonwealth Games Cycling

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 am

So lets cut out most of the sporting world, but keep a few good cycling countries in there.

Commonwealth Games has started and on Tuesday the 5th is the first cycling event - Trace events 5th - 8th October and the 10th and 13th are Road Cycling events. The schedule is not that easy to get through... but if you want to try, go here (click start, then on the left choose by sport then at the bottom choose the cycling icon. The yellow coloured dates are event dates. If you then click on the green next button you will see then actual start times for cycling events.)

Australia has some good names competing, including Allan Davis (Bronze in World Champs).

Men's Track Sprint
Daniel ELLIS (ACT)
Jason NIBLETT (VIC)
Shane PERKINS (VIC)
Scott SUNDERLAND (WA)

Men's Track Endurance
Jack BOBRIDGE (SA)
Michael FREIBERG (WA)
Michael HEPBURN (QLD)
Cameron MEYER (WA)
Travis MEYER (WA)
Dale PARKER (SA 12)

Men's Road
Allan DAVIS (QLD)
Mathew HAYMAN (NSW/ACT)
Richie PORTE (TAS)
Mark RENSHAW (NSW)
Chris SUTTON (NSW)

Women's Track Sprint

Kaarle MCCULLOCH (NSW)
Anna MEARES OAM (SA)
Emily ROSEMOND (QLD)

Women's Track Endurance
Ashlee ANKUDINOFF (NSW)
Megan DUNN (NSW)
Belinda GOSS (TAS)
Josephine TOMIC (WA)

Women's Road
Ruth CORSET (QLD)
Rochelle GILMORE (NSW)
Chloe HOSKING (ACT)
Carly LIGHT (SA)
Alexis RHODES (SA)
Cycling is in my BNA

hannos

Re: Commonwealth Games Cycling

Postby hannos » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:00 am

2010 BMC SLC01

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Track cycling kicks off today with medals decided in the men's individual pursuit and both the men's and women's time trial events. The qualifying heats for the men's points race are also on today:

Morning (11.30am Delhi time)
• 4000m Men's Individual Pursuit (Qualifying/Final)
• 10000m Men's Time Trial (Final)
• 500m Women's Time Trial (Final)

Evening (6pm Delhi time)
• 40km Men's Points Race (Qualifying Heats)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 pm

The track cycling this evening has been great. Some great performances and gutsy efforts. The race for the gold medal in the 4000m mens individual pursuit was great and went down to the wire.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Team Sprint & Sprint (women)
Anna Meares and Kaarle McCulloch join forces for the team sprint today. The pair are the reigning World Champions and World Record holders and are unbackable favourites to win. In the evening session the duo will line up against each other and compatriot Emily Rosemond for the qualifying round of the sprint.

40km Points Race - men
A four-time World Champion in elite track competition, Cameron Meyer is no stranger to international success. The 22-year-old cruised through the qualifying heat and will start as favourite in today's final. Teammate Luke Durbridge has also qualified for the medal race.

Sprint & Keirin (men)
World Championship sprint silver medalist Shane Perkins will hit the boards of the Indira Gandhi Velodrome for the first time today in the men's sprint and keirin events. The Aussie sprint king will be looking to improve on the bronze medal he won in the team sprint at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. Jason Niblett, who along with Perkins raced in Japan's keirin series this year, will also line up in the keirin. The men's sprint qualifying later in the day will feature Perkins, Dan Ellis and Scott Sunderland.

25km points race - women
Belinda Goss has claimed the bronze medal in the scratch race at the past three World Championships and she's looking for gold in Delhi. But she'll have competition from within the Australian camp with Josephine Tomic and Megan Dunn also on the start line for the final.

Teams Pursuit - men
The pursuiters will be in action today in the teams' event. Newly crowned Commonwealth Games individual pursuit champion Jack Bobridge and bronze medalist Michael Hepburn will be joined by Michael Freiburg and 3km under 19 World Record holder Dale Parker as they begin their campaign to defend Australia's crown.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Did Perkins just give the bird ??

What's with the Aussies and the bird at these games :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:50 pm

cam meyer would have had time to stop for a coffee before taking the gold in the points race tonight

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:49 am

jules21 wrote:cam meyer would have had time to stop for a coffee before taking the gold in the points race tonight
Which one of the brothers is the youngest?

And were these the Perth brothers that have had a lot of local media over the last few years as being our next GT riders?
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 am

Seriously...looking at the results for the first two days,is there anyone actually there?.The spread of times is ridiculous :| .

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:06 am

Chuck wrote:Did Perkins just give the bird ??
two-finger salute i think

how good is cam meyer?!?!?! :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

roller

Postby roller » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:21 pm

i was hoping to catch some on the telly last night but all i got was prolonged segments of swimming with a race here and there and lots of time spent broadcasting the swimmers being introduced to their adoring crowd.

aaaaaah you're killing me channel 10 !

am i the only person in australia who is totally disinterested in swimming?
inflammatory statement or idea

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

roller wrote:i was hoping to catch some on the telly last night but all i got was prolonged segments of swimming with a race here and there and lots of time spent broadcasting the swimmers being introduced to their adoring crowd.

aaaaaah you're killing me channel 10 !

am i the only person in australia who is totally disinterested in swimming?
nope. i'm with you here.
2010 BMC SLC01

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm

I'd rather have my eyelids tattooed than watch swimming.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

philip

Postby philip » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah I'm not a fan either, the reason they show it is because it's simple and everyone can understand it. Try showing the points race to the general public and they will just get frustrated at not having a clue at what's going on and change channel.

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Swimming has to be the most boring spectator sport ever invented.

If Australia didn't kill anyone, it'd rate with lawn bowls.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:57 pm

roller wrote:am i the only person in australia who is totally disinterested in swimming?
swimming is right up there with having a root-canal
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Women's 10km Scratch Race - Final
Aussie trio Ashlee Ankudinoff, Megan Dunn and Belinda Goss will be looking for Australia's seventh gold medal on the track when they line up in the women's 10km scratch race. Dunn will be looking to for a second win, whilst Ankudinoff and Goss are in search of their first Commonwealth Games medals.

Men's Sprint - Finals
Shane Perkins smashed Ryan Bayley's Commonwealth Games record to post the fastest time of 10.058sec in the flying 200m sprint qualifying. Not far behind was Scott Sunderland who clocked the second fastest time of 10.151. Both Australians then won through to today's quarter finals where Perkins faces 2006 silver medalist Ross Edgar of Scotland. Sunderland will meet England's David Daniell. Dan Ellis had qualified fifth fastest in 10.429 despite struggling with a bad case of the flu but didn't make it through the second round.

Women's Sprint - Finals
Looking to make it three from three, Anna Meares is the clear favourite for gold in the sprint. The fastest qualifier in a time of 11.140, the 27-year-old broke the Commonwealth Games record set by England's Victoria Pendleton in Melbourne four years ago. Meares heads a strong Aussie contingent with teammate Kaarle McCulloch second fastest qualifier (11.440) and Games debutante Emily Rosemond also impressive with the fourth fastest time of 11.504. Wales' Becky James split the Australians with the third fastest time of 11.458. A medal cleansweep is a possibility for the Aussies if they can all win through to the semi finals.

Men's Team Pursuit - Finals
Dynamite quartet Jack Bobridge, Michael Hepburn, Michael Freiberg and Dale Parker combined to qualify fastest for the teams pursuit in a Commonwealth Games record time of 4:00.285. Look for the Aussie team to go even faster in the final today with Cameron Meyer expected to step into the team, but don't discount a challenge from New Zealand who were bronze medalists at the World Championships and is a nation also capable of a sub-four minute ride.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm

I'd have to say Synchronized Swimming is the most boring to watch.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Men's Team Sprint - Final
Men's sprint gold and silver medalists Shane Perkins and Scott Sunderland (l) will team up with Dan Ellis for the team sprint on the final day of the track cycling program at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Ellis has been ill but is hoping to recover so he can join his team mates and earn a place on the podium.

Men's Scratch Race - Final
Dual gold medalists Jack Bobridge (individual & teams pursuit) and Cameron Meyer (l) (points race & teams pursuit) will each be in line to emulate Anna Meares hat trick of gold medals when they line up for the men's scratch race. The pair will be joined by Michael Freiberg, who after being awarded gold for his role in the qualifying round of the team pursuit, is aiming to impress in his first final of the games.

3000m Individual Pursuit Women - Final
Ashlee Ankudinoff and Josephine Tomic (l) will return to the Velodrome today in search of Commonwealth Games gold in the women's 3km individual pursuit. The pair were both members of the Australian pursuit team that won gold at this year's World Championships but they face tough opposition from Northern Ireland's Wendy Houvenaghel who claimed silver in the individual event at the World Championships in March.

Weekend Events
Our road cyclists will be in action on Sunday in the men's and women's road races. OneHD will show both events live so check your local guide for broadcast times.
Allan Davis (l) is on his way to Delhi fresh from his bronze medal ride at the World Championships and hopes to be on top of the podium in India. Our women too are aiming to successfully defend our Commonwealth Games crown.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:06 pm

I enjoy watching cycling and watching Aussies do well, but this is like beating up your little brother. Seems England haven't sent their A team ??
FPR Ragamuffin

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Chops wrote:Swimming has to be the most boring spectator sport ever invented.

If Australia didn't kill anyone, it'd rate with lawn bowls.
I quite like watching lawn bowls, oddly. I'm only 26 by the way. :P

ratter

Postby ratter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:59 pm

martinjs wrote:I'd have to say Synchronized Swimming is the most boring to watch.

Martin

If 1 synchronized swimmer drowned, would the other one have to as well?? :wink:

roller

Postby roller » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 pm

JV911 wrote:Men's Scratch Race - Final
Dual gold medalists Jack Bobridge (individual & teams pursuit) and Cameron Meyer (l) (points race & teams pursuit) will each be in line to emulate Anna Meares hat trick of gold medals when they line up for the men's scratch race. The pair will be joined by Michael Freiberg, who after being awarded gold for his role in the qualifying round of the team pursuit, is aiming to impress in his first final of the games.
impressive performance!!

gorn orstraya!
inflammatory statement or idea

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Chuck wrote:I enjoy watching cycling and watching Aussies do well, but this is like beating up your little brother. Seems England haven't sent their A team ??
That might be so, but have a look at the times, being ridden! :idea: 1
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Chops wrote:lawn bowls.
Try it - you'll find watching it fascinating afterwards
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team