Desperate to give Munda Biddi touring a first go

GrumpySmurf

Desperate to give Munda Biddi touring a first go

Postby GrumpySmurf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 pm

I have a Specialized Epic (full suspension) which is hardly ridden (hence I have little off road experience). My camping experience tends to be caravan parks with 1/2 ton of camping gear and kids.

For something different, I want to head out bush and camp unsupported for 2-5 days as a starter. I will likely do this alone as no-one I know would be compatible. My first big hurdle is how to carry the gear. I know racks and full suspension don't go together.

To start off with, would carrying no more than 5kg on this rack Image http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/MTXBeamRackA-Type be doable? It is rated at 9kg but I know off road will be tough on the equipment. I intend to travel very light, and speed is as damn slow as I can!

Another question, what sort of backpack would be OK for this and realistically, how heavy could I carry on the backpack?

Other bits of equipment I have pretty much settled on so far;
Hennessey Hammock (as I intend to stealth camp because I won't go the distance to campsites)
Trangia Mini Stove (already ordered - so no changing)
Black Wolf Vertical Limit 200 down sleeping bag (Would I be better off with something else?)

trailgumby

Re: Desperate to give Munda Biddi touring a first go

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Grumpy Smurf, meet Bob:

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:00 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:To start off with, would carrying no more than 5kg on this rack <snip> be doable? It is rated at 9kg but I know off road will be tough on the equipment. I intend to travel very light, and speed is as damn slow as I can!
IMO avoid those seatpost-mounted beam racks if you want to enjoy the trip; I have one just like that (hand me down from a mate) and carying any kind of load is not fun. The destabilising effect of the load being high above the rear wheel is bad enough, then when you lean into corners the whole shebang swivels around the seatpost... Pretty sure there are pannier-bag style racks that are compatible with disc brakes so I'd be on the lookout for one of those. That said I guess 5Kg isn't that much... I've carried much more and while it wasn't fun, I am still here to tell the tale :lol:

Re backpack, I'd also try to minimise the weight there. Sure you could carry 10Kg in a hiking pack, but if you want to enjoy the trip try to put as much gear as possible on the bike.

(You might get more replies in the touring section - let me if you'd like this moved there)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 pm

I have rack and panniers on my hardtail for commuting purposes, but the OP's bike is a dual-susser. No mounting points for racks, and you would be ill-advised to do it in any case.

Other than that, I agree with all your criticisms of those seatpost things and backpacks.

BOB's come with their own waterproof load covers included in the package, as I understand it.

robsta

Postby robsta » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:27 am

Hi
Arghh. If only I'd read this thread a few days ago. I saw a guy touring on a full sus Giant. He had what appeared to be tent and sleeping roll strapped to the seat post in an almost vertical fashion. He also had a small back pack on with a very substantial waist belt. He may have been touring in a group and sleeping bag etc may have been carried elsewhere.
The BOB would be ideal but if this is a one off or experimental trip would be an expensive addition to the garage if it wasn't used regularly.

I think you are on the right tracks with regard to minimal equipment touring. With all that suspension you are limited to where the stuff can be attached to. Practice packing, ride around and adjust until you get a best scenario.
All the best
Rob

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks guys, it looks like I will have to re-think and consider the trailer. Its a shame as I had hoped to keep it real simple and get out the door.

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:43 pm

How about the Old Man Mountain racks? It sure looks promising! Has anyone tried these>

robsta

Postby robsta » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 am

or have a look at http://www.freeload.co.nz/
Rob

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Seeing as Cell had the freeload on special, I have gone and ordered 2 of those.

I am now equipped with;
- Full suspension MTB
- 5l Camel back
- Water filter
- Trangia stove
- Hennessey Hammock
- Thermalite air mattress
- Down sleeping bag
- 2x racks (no panniers - so may have to just strap stuff on)

All ready to go with I reckon. Oh, 1 more question, which tyres are the best (grip first, puncture resist second) for the trail? Think lots of pea gravel.

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:57 am

I rode from The Dell to Dwellingup on the long weekend we just had, tyres varied a bit between our group. I had a set of Continental Vertical 2.3's which had been recommended to me by guys on the Perth mtb club website, the only downside to them if you are weightweenie is that you can only get them in wire bead versions now unless you want the UST ones. Two guys had Nevegal 2.1's which worked OK, two other guys had Hutchinson Scorpions (stocker tyres on Giants) and the last guy had some strange half bald looking XC tyres with a few knobs on the sides. The Hutchisons seemed to be the worst of the bunch.

The track is very dry and loose at the moment, there were more than a few sections where you had to pedal on the downhills to stop yourself sinking in :shock:

I would not stress too much about taking a water filter if you are going soon the tanks at Carinyah, Wungong and North Dandalup all felt pretty full by the bash test, you just need puritabs or similar.

I took a 2l camelbak but only had a bit over a litre in it to keep the weight on my shoulders down and keep my back a bit cooler. I also had 2 bidons on the bike and 2l in rollup water bottles in my panniers. I kept topping up the camelback through the day as you would have red raw shoulders if you rode a few days with a full 5l on your back for the whole day.

Some photos are here if you want to see what it was like Munda Biddi 2010 pics

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks. The photos are great - I'm surprised that there are so many people at the sites. Maybe its because of the long weekend.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Great photo series :D

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Cheers for the comments, there's a bit of video here on youtube from our last day Dandalup to Dwellingup. One of the guys decided to duct tape his camera to his handlebars when we had climbed up from North Spur rd to the top of the hill through the Arboretum where the radio masts are. It was about a 1km downhill run on that loose must keep pedaling gravel, the other good bit of the video is the steep and rutted downhill section before Grey Rd that the touring route avoids.

Dandalup was the only hut that was really crowded and that was because there were three riders who had come down from around Jarrahdale on a day ride, not so bad but they had a Nine strong support crew who had walked up from the road near whittakers mill :o Apart from a kid doing projectile vomits from the top bunk during the night and someone snoring like a chainsaw on steroids it was ok. Make sure you take a few sets of earplugs :!: :!: for those situations. There were only two people at Wungong and nobody at Carinyah however we passed a massive group heading North on the first day near Pickering Brooke who had overnight-ed at Carinyah.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Just got back from Mundaring Weir where I meet up with my Brother-in-law who had just completed 8 days riding the Munda. His comments was that some of the best bits are around the Mundaring Weir section.

Even riding up from Midland to John Forrest or via the Hertage Trail is fun. If anyone want's to join me on one of these runs, let me know as we're heading back up again next Sunday.

dah1505

Postby dah1505 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:35 pm

No idea how much a bob trailer costs but I noticed these guys hire them the other day, may be useful?

http://aboutbikehire.com.au/

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:23 pm

If you need to take a BOB trailer then I think you will be taking way too much gear and making your journey a whole lot harder especially with the dry conditions at the moment.