Bike charity

thomas_cho

Bike charity

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi all,
I am looking to volunteer my time to help fix up bikes for the needy.

Do any of you know of an organization?

Cheers
Thomas

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bike charity

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 am

Drop into your local Vinnies or Salvos Thomas and explain what's on your mind, I've done a few for Vinnies.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 pm

There's a bike recycle joint at ANU, down near the National Museum. It's a kind of sheltered workshop set up as far as I can figure out. The do up old bikes and sell 'em, though I'm not sure where the cash goes.

Cheers

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am

The recyclery is a business. The money goes back into there pocket, not to a charity.

To the original poster: Why not start something? Get old bike, service them and then give them to the needy.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:18 am

ifixbikes wrote:The recyclery is a business. The money goes back into there pocket, not to a charity.

To the original poster: Why not start something? Get old bike, service them and then give them to the needy.
Good to know and that fits with the vibe I'd gotten when I'd gone there. It struck me as bit of an odd place.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. Certainly given me some ideas. I might drop pedalpower an email.

There might already be some sort of group doing this.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

There was a community group asking for donations of bikes on the southside. My partner thinks it may have been Southside COmmunity Centre or something like that. The had an ad in the southside chronicle or something. They may appreciate a free bike mech.

As for Recyclery, it is hardly a lucrative business. Yes it needs to turn a profit to survive, but they do a lot of work with people with disabilities. But, no, it isnt a charity.

psike

Postby psike » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm

If you're decent on maintenance, the Fitability tandems may want some assistance with maintenance. The tandems are used by visually impaired cyclists, If you're interested in doing some maintenance or would like to get involved as a pilot for a visually impaired stoker drop me a PM and I can put you in contact.

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Gday Thomas

Good on you for wanting to lend a hand. Heres another option/idea for you to look into http://hobartbikekitchen.org/

Thats a local group here in Hobart but im guessing there must be something like that in your area? Another tip might be to check out your local critical/courteous mass rides. They are a good place to network as they attract the pro-active types. And of course your local Lyons/Apex/Community clubs, if they dont run a program themselves theres a fair chance they will know who does.

Good luck with it mate, I hope you find something that fits.

cheers
Baldy

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:40 pm

psike wrote:If you're decent on maintenance, the Fitability tandems may want some assistance with maintenance. The tandems are used by visually impaired cyclists, If you're interested in doing some maintenance or would like to get involved as a pilot for a visually impaired stoker drop me a PM and I can put you in contact.

Russ.
The lilac one has just had a pretty major overhaul by Ian Downing.

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Howdy Pilgrims,

HA! Glad I searched first, someone else has usually asked the question first :P I am also looking to do some repair work for charity, did anyone find any (or know of any) groups around the Belconnen area?

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:52 am

Yehuwdiy,

I'm in the Belconnen area too. If you find any I'm happy to give a hand

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:11 am

Howdy LoveB,

I'll be phoning/ visiting a few opshops etc today. There is one in particulary where I have gotten to know the old ladies behind the counter pretty well. I'll see what I can dig up and shall report back!

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Yay! let me know how you go :D

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Well, drawing a blank so far, will keep trying though. Responses seem to vary from, "We don't get bikes donated" through to, "As long as the tyres stay up we don't care."

Who would have thought it was so hard to give your time away?

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:43 am

If I knew where to get free bikes I wouldnt mind doing it at home. Although that would probably anger the gf as I dont really have that big a space to work on bikes here :lol:

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 pm

You know what LoveB, I've had that exact same idea. We are renting here in Canberra and alas no garage (at all...WTH...seriously). I wouldn't mind kicking in the cash to get a bike back on the road. I did it a little bit in Brisbane, gave the bikes to local migrant communities. They loved them, rode them every day as primary transport and looked after them.

Perhaps something will surface, fingers crossed :)

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I did my finacees bike resto on the balcony. Paint and all. lol

If you end up doing work at your place I can come over and helps. Beats doing nothing. Or I can do some work here then bring it onto you sort of thing. And if I make spare cash I dont mind chipping in too!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Have a look at the work the Hobart Bike Kitchen has been doing. They may have links too

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Ok, after having no luck with local charities I have decided to take things into my own hands. While in Brisbane a fixed up a few old clunkers and gave them to a local migrant/ refugee community. This worked well and the people who received them valued them. Everything was done at my pace, so there was no stress or timelines involved. My system worked something like this:

1. Fix old bikes to give away
2. Give bikes to those who need them as a primary mode of transport (i.e. can't afford to by own or car etc.)
3. Provide mechanical assistance to said people
4. If circumstances change and the bike is no longer needed, it is returned to the 'pool'.
5. Any rare/ collectable parts that came up were sold (usually fleabay) to pay for ongoing costs.

With regard to point 5 above, it is surprising how much you can spend on cables, housing, grease, bearings and brake pads. Thus the somewhat mercenary approach to this one point.

This worked well with one exception, maintenance over distance. Brisbane is a big place and driving around to donate/ pick-up/ fix bikes got to be very expensive. Canberra, although not so big, is still big enough to make this an issue.

The other day I was cogitating on this and realised that if there were a number of people across Canberra, who are from the forums, this may not be in issue. All requests could be funnelled off to the most appropriate person.

So, I'm putting out a request for the names and suburbs of anyone who is interested in helping. Once we have this list we can start looking for suitable recipients. If you are interested please post or pm me with your details, I shall then add them to the list below.

Volunteers

Belconnen - Dunlop - Yehuwdiy

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm

you know I'm down for that!

Belconnen - loveb/paul

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm

I have not checked my post of late, but yeah count me in, I am in Gungahlin.

Madmom53

Postby Madmom53 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:23 pm

If this is up and running i have two childrens bikes cobwebby but basically in pretty good nick. Would hate to throw them out one was very $$$$

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi, it is kind of running. Everything is on hold until my new shed is built early in the new year. We have completed and donated a few bikes, btu have had to let many mroe go because of a lack of room. I'd be interested in the bikes, but in the new year. Not sure if you need to clean out the space now though!

Madmom53

Postby Madmom53 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 am

No i can wait if you like, just let me know. :)