Under the knife again

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
trailgumby

Under the knife again

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Went to see the insurer's medico legal guy today. Went with the expectation (based on previous experience with workers comp) that it would be about minimising the insurer's exposure, so to say I was in a suspicious frame of mind would be an understatement,

I mentioned that I was awkward shaking hands with people: the risk of occasionally getting some twat who would try to "win" the handshake, and ending up in a whimpering heap on the floor means I’ve made it my habit to shake with my left hand.

After a brief examination of the way the bones moved in my hand, he firmly suggested that I need to go back to my original surgeon and get him to take the titanium hardware out. The handshake problem apparently is caused by the screws (by necessity) poking out the other side by a fraction of a mm and grinding against the head of the ring finger metacarpal when the inevitable prat you occasionally run into crunches my hand.

The downside is an increased risk of fracture at one of the screw holes... but that trends to zero over a period of only three months. :shock:

The scar that hemorrhages on my right elbow when I bump it he suggested I see a cosmetic surgeon about... don't worry, CTP will pay for it.

So I was surprised - twice: wasn't expecting at all to get that advice, and the insurer's medical guy was actually helpful.

I'm hoping to get a team together for the Fat Tyre Festival at Awaba MTB Park at the end of November... will probably get it done some time after that, depending on what Christopher decides to throw at me to review.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Under the knife again

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:22 pm

:shock: A CTP type with your interests at heart?

Good luck with it Gumby.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:25 pm

So long as you don't have someone following you around with a camera trying to catch you doing something, they think negates the advice of your doctor. :wink:

Other than that, it is a plus for you. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:38 pm

good luck with that TG.

i damaged elbow ligaments in a crash when i was 16 and i've had the most sensitive ulnar nerve/funny bone ever since - drives me nuts. i think you came off better with the haemorraging :)