bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby emilmh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi,

What do i need to look for if i want to fit bmx style brake levers to a set of road 'drop' bars (or even bullhorns)? Are most standard bmx levers big enough to slide on teh drop bars and through the curves? or do i need something special (like levers with bar clamps that open up or something)?

Cheers,
Emil
emilmh
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:38 pm

by BNA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:56 pm

BNA
 

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:56 pm

BMX and MTB levers are usually 22.2mm. Roadie bars are usually 23.8mm at the narrowest. Ask me how I know...and why I have 3 brake levers sitting idle. You'll need to make sure anything you buy fits road bar diameter.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5073
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby emilmh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm

familyguy wrote:BMX and MTB levers are usually 22.2mm. Roadie bars are usually 23.8mm at the narrowest. Ask me how I know...and why I have 3 brake levers sitting idle. You'll need to make sure anything you buy fits road bar diameter.

Jim


thanks for the advise, sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I see so many fixies with bmx style brakes, do they buy them specifically for them?
emilmh
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm

emilmh wrote:
familyguy wrote:BMX and MTB levers are usually 22.2mm. Roadie bars are usually 23.8mm at the narrowest. Ask me how I know...and why I have 3 brake levers sitting idle. You'll need to make sure anything you buy fits road bar diameter.

Jim


thanks for the advise, sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I see so many fixies with bmx style brakes, do they buy them specifically for them?

http://www.paulcomp.com/elever.html
Nobody
 
Posts: 6655
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby .isaac. » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 am


Do these work well if you need to change from drops to top bar to get to them?
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 am

Sorry, but I haven't used them.

If you want drop bar levers for linear pull (V) brakes then I do use the ones below and like them for both hoods and drops braking. (I actually have the Cane Creek re-badged ones at twice the price. From what I've read, they are the same. The CC ones even have the Tektro model number stamped on inside of the lever handle.)

Image
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34840

Image
Nobody
 
Posts: 6655
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby .isaac. » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:55 am

Yeah, I am looking at these and I like them alot but I also like the clean brake look. I dont know which ones to use but I am thinking them^^.
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby boyracer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 am

familyguy wrote:BMX and MTB levers are usually 22.2mm. Roadie bars are usually 23.8mm at the narrowest. Ask me how I know...and why I have 3 brake levers sitting idle. You'll need to make sure anything you buy fits road bar diameter.

Jim


I have milled out the clamp on plenty of these. or just patience and a rat tail file.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 pm

I have found that a lot of BMX and MTB were too big for road style bars and that they generally just didn't look 'the part'. I have found most bike stores that stock single finger levers and the like usually only have them in bright annodised colours or all black, which for my wasn't what I was looking for.

I run one of these http://tektro.com/02products/11ql.php on my bullhorns. It was a touch too big for the bars so I had to use a thin piece of rubber that actually came with on my Cateye computers for the same purpose to fill out the clamp. These actually have a hinged clamp too which is handy if you need to remove it for anything but don't wanna remove bar tap.

I had originally wanted them in just silver as I saw them on a Masi fixed gear as an OEM part but no one stocked them and those that had the black and silver ones told me I would not be able to source all silver. But after some asking around on eBay I found a group in the states that can supply all silver from Tektro as a special order, but the lead time was 45 days. So in the end I just bought black and silver through my LBS.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.
User avatar
surfin' addiction
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Melbourne's notorious eastern suburbs.

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 pm

surfin' addiction wrote:I have found most bike stores that stock single finger levers and the like usually only have them in bright annodised colours or all black, which for my wasn't what I was looking for.


Silver levers = Pretty anno levers + oven cleaner + polishing + time.

Sometimes you just gotta get your hands dirty to get what you really want. 8)

And then after investing all that time and effort, you find what you were looking for on eBay after all. :evil:

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby surfin' addiction » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
surfin' addiction wrote:I have found most bike stores that stock single finger levers and the like usually only have them in bright annodised colours or all black, which for my wasn't what I was looking for.


Silver levers = Pretty anno levers + oven cleaner + polishing + time.

Sometimes you just gotta get your hands dirty to get what you really want. 8)

And then after investing all that time and effort, you find what you were looking for on eBay after all. :evil:

Grumps


I have been down this street before with car parts and some bike parts. It was ok when I was still at Uni and had nothing better to do except sit around, drink beer and polish parts. And you could always find someone that was willing to help when paid in beers too. But now I have become part of the corporate machine free time is a bit more golden. So things like riding bikes, surfing and snowboarding take priority over polishing parts that can, as you said, be found on eBay.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.
User avatar
surfin' addiction
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Melbourne's notorious eastern suburbs.

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Evil genius and others, the single best reason for using proper levers on drop bars, as shown by Nobody, is that they give you good hand positioning on the bars. A centremounted BMX lever or finger lever is great, especially for traffic jamming, but takes away that hand support that 2 brake levers give you. If you can ride in the drops (like track racing) or just with your hands on the tops, fine, but trust me, you'll find you want the alternate hand position if you do any kind of real riding.

If you have to keep it clean, then chopped and flopped drop bars with a centre finger lever works well, but there are other things to take into account with bar positioning, namely stem length and height of the bars.
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby brauluver » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:15 pm

rustychisel wrote:Evil genius and others, the single best reason for using proper levers on drop bars, as shown by Nobody, is that they give you good hand positioning on the bars. A centremounted BMX lever or finger lever is great, especially for traffic jamming, but takes away that hand support that 2 brake levers give you. If you can ride in the drops (like track racing) or just with your hands on the tops, fine, but trust me, you'll find you want the alternate hand position if you do any kind of real riding.



Testify!

Amen brother.

Drop style bars(on road) without hoods is like chips without salt!
Different scenario on a track specific bike though.
Go risers or bullhorns if riding the flats is your preference.
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby j-ho » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 pm

surfin' addiction wrote:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:
surfin' addiction wrote:I have found most bike stores that stock single finger levers and the like usually only have them in bright annodised colours or all black, which for my wasn't what I was looking for.


Silver levers = Pretty anno levers + oven cleaner + polishing + time.

Sometimes you just gotta get your hands dirty to get what you really want. 8)

And then after investing all that time and effort, you find what you were looking for on eBay after all. :evil:

Grumps


I have been down this street before with car parts and some bike parts. It was ok when I was still at Uni and had nothing better to do except sit around, drink beer and polish parts. And you could always find someone that was willing to help when paid in beers too. But now I have become part of the corporate machine free time is a bit more golden. So things like riding bikes, surfing and snowboarding take priority over polishing parts that can, as you said, be found on eBay.
Go and see sasha at pony bikes in west melb. She has the smaller typr brsakes you are after, and will strip and polish a black one for a very minimal fee.
Image
j-ho
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Nth Carlton

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby surfin' addiction » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Hmm this intrigues me. I already have the black and silver Tektro's and have since bought them found them in all silver on eBay. But where about's in West Melb. is Pony bikes? I work just near Festival Hall so it may be close to me. I may drop the one I have off to be cleaned and polished to save myself some time and energy.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.
User avatar
surfin' addiction
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Melbourne's notorious eastern suburbs.

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby .isaac. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:29 am

I have tried the normal drop bar brakes and want to try some track bike bars with some of these sort of brakes:
Image
Does anyone know if I can buy those specialized brake separately to the bike? If I can't where can I find some in Melb that are good quality?
EDIT- I found the brakes on the Specialized site. Sadly they don't sell in Aus.
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:01 am

Plenty of different brands EG. Search for cyclocross levers.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26010
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby .isaac. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:14 am

yeah, I know that I can get some Soma levers for 30.
.isaac.
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: bmx/mtb brake levers for road bars

Postby jimsheedy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 am

If your using rounded track drop bars you might have trouble finding a comfortable position to fit standard road levers. A great solution is Dia compe shotgun levers. Have a look on chain reaction or wiggle. They come with a shim for different diameter bars.

Image
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney


Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit