Determining Max heart Rate on the road

sogood

Re: Determining Max heart Rate on the road

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am

Strawburger wrote:I guess it may be unsafe if it's up at your max HR for an extended period but others can shed some light on that one.
It's unsafe if one has an underlying heart disease or other related condition that decompensates during the extreme exertion. Otherwise there's no particular harm done by hitting and sustaining at the HRmax, and in any case, the duration will be self-limited by one's physical and mental condition.

The simplest way to hit it is to sustainably climb a 10% hill and push hard. HRmax would only come when one starts to make that deep dying man's breath breathing pattern. Otherwise an intravenous injection of a suitable dose of adrenalin can also hit it while one lies in bed. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:43 am

JV911 wrote:if you recover quickly i believe it means you're getting fitter. i'd guess that you are recovering quicker than you used to...
Bear in mind though that the heart does not fatigue and so "recovery" is not a concern to it. What's recovering is the cells in the rest of your body. The heart at any point in time has an upper performance limit on HR and ejection volume capacity, not fatigue.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 am

DanielS wrote:I wouldn't get too caught up trying to use your HR to measure improvement in any way, there are too many variables. I think that the easiest way to measure improvement, short of using a power meter, is to find a longish climb or uninterrupted section of road and go as hard as you can and time yourself. Do it again in a couple of weeks or a month and see how much you've improved!

I think that HR is mostly useful for riding long intervals...
+1. There are better performance parameters to brag about than HR and related parameters.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:13 pm

sogood wrote:There are better performance parameters to brag about than HR and related parameters.
Like the bank account parameters you apply when n+1 occurs?