munga's new project

munga

munga's new project

Postby munga » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 pm

ok, i'm putting this up here so i can't back out.
when my little girl was born, i found plenty of reasons not to ride. she's 3 now.. maybe i can finish this before she turns 4.
so here goes:

so.. i have a few old bikes:

i also have other framesets not pictured, but those are to be sold/gifted/stashed.

the plan is to consolidate a bit. ideally, i want an errands bike and a latte bike. oh, and maybe a cyclocross/dirt roader.

errands: ride to the shops for bread and milk - something i can ride/park in the rain and not get emotional about. i'm thinking velo-orange style here
latte: something for myself, and others, to admire. you know the type. polish, clean, wax, detail? sure! ride? not so much..

i really want to keep the blue and white superlite and build it up as a period (c.1989) road bike. when i was a kid in high school, this was the coolest bike i knew of - i didn't know much about bikes.
if i build this up it will have better than standard components, but i won't be getting too particular or weenie about it.
7speed dura ace derailleurs and shift levers, a polished 105 crankset, some 6500 brake levers and silver velocity aeroheads. coffee time!

the '89 europa is fairly generic, and certainly needs repainting. no eyelets for fenders, so this one will either be singlespeed, or.. or, something else. i really don't know what to do with this one yet.. maybe a bit of a vintage look? must also try 35c tyres for brake bridge/fork clearance. potential cx machine awaits.

the '92 lemond. this is the nicest frame i currently have. this one should get a nice paintjob and a campy drivetrain. keep saving. i have those blue ambrosio excellence wheels on daytona hubs doing nothing.. latte bike in the making.

the '94 cfr1 has full 6400 ultegra groupset, with some deepv's on 6500 ultegra hubs. i've considered making this single-speed and putting the 600 gear on something else, like the europa. i like the drivetrain, but i think once i've built up the dura-ace drivetrain, it might not be so nice. i should just sell it. $400 ono

the last one is another repco, a '94 olympic 14. tig welded cromo main tubes. pretty average frame, but it fits nicely. also has eyelets. maybe this is my errands bike. not perfect (it's not even lugged, man), but adequate. currently fitted out with a mish-mash of gear. deep v's, shimano drivetrain, campy brakeset.

now, where to start?

here:
^when i bought it
^shortly after
^with 35c cx wheels
^today (actually imagine 3 yrs of dust on it)

munga, welcome to your new errands bike project!

the first thing to lock in is the bars. to me, bars determine the whole feel of the bike. it is currently fitted with cinelli 66-40 drop bars with campag victory/triomph brake levers. until i lock in bars, i can't really decide on controls either (sti, downtube, aero, non-aero, barcons, thumbies) all these choices.. while i think about bars, what can i lock in?

BRAKES: no canti bosses, so centrepull, single- or dual-pivot brakes are required. dual-pivot, thanks. i'll be carrying gear on the bike, so brakes need to be as good as they can be.
i have some silver shimano rsx dual-pivot brakes - a polish and some new pads and they'll be perfect for the job.

GEARING: 7 speed cassette with 13-15-17-19-21-23-26 sprockets, and 39-53 chainrings gives me roughly 40 gear inches to 110 gear inches. surely that's enough. if not, a 36-50 compact crankset will work nicely with that cassette too.

WHEELSET: eventually, i can see myself fitting a dynamo hub, but for now, it will run its current wheelset - silver velocity deep v rims with 105 hubs.

Stay tuned for more

drubie

Re: munga's new project

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm

35s and dual pivot RSX brakes? Unpossible!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:58 pm

drubie wrote:35s and dual pivot RSX brakes? Unpossible!
the image showing the 35c's has campy brakes fitted to the bike:

rules out cross tyres with the dual-pivots tho huh?

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:09 pm

munga wrote: rules out cross tyres with the dual-pivots tho huh?
Most of them seem to be flatter across the top - having two pivot points seems to make having a big arc at the top too hard. Most of the single pivots seem better able to cope with taller tyres. Centre pulls and cantis are more fun to play with - you have to futz around with cable hangers, the cable routing requires some thought etc. Far more interesting I reckon.

Then again, if you just want to ride it... do a quick trial fit!

edit:

(whoops monster picture reduced!)
See how the brake arm cuts across the arc on the right hand side? The RSX might be better than those, but the Tektros on my Orbea are quite a bit worse than that.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 pm

righto then. good for future reference.
im really leaning towards 28c panaracer pasela tg's in cream/white, provided they fit

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 am

'scuse me Munga, first thing you need to do is reverse the brake blocks on those Campagnolo sidepulls, otherwise you'll wonder what ejected off the front of the bike when they're first used in anger [hint: it won't be you].

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 am

If I can do a rebuild in 2 weekends using a handful of new and a handfull of your used parts, with all your resources you can do the same I'm sure :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 pm

hey Munga, with all those bikes, you don't have an oversized Repco your looking to move...... :D

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:17 pm

leighthebee wrote:hey Munga, with all those bikes, you don't have an oversized Repco your looking to move...... :D

see here, http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25&t=32493

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:57 pm

rustychisel wrote:'scuse me Munga, first thing you need to do is reverse the brake blocks on those Campagnolo sidepulls, otherwise you'll wonder what ejected off the front of the bike when they're first used in anger [hint: it won't be you].
damn, i just knew someone would pull me up about that. Was so keen to get them on, i didn't realise at the time. All fixed now - i just didnt have any other pics with the 35's on :wink:

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:05 am

munga wrote: damn, i just knew someone would pull me up about that. Was so keen to get them on, i didn't realise at the time. All fixed now - i just didnt have any other pics with the 35's on :wink:
thank god for that. I had a mental image of you barreling the downhill, then... well, you know the rest of the story :wink: :mrgreen:

tkhoo

Postby tkhoo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 am

That blue and white Repco is SWEET!

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 am

leighthebee wrote:hey Munga, with all those bikes, you don't have an oversized Repco your looking to move...... :D
are you in brisbane leigh?
put a location in your details mate.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm

munga wrote:
are you in brisbane leigh?
put a location in your details mate.
reckon he is
leighthebee wrote:? I've got to get it too Brisbane....

Cheers
Leigh

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 pm

munga wrote:

the '92 lemond. this is the nicest frame i currently have. this one should get a nice paintjob and a campy drivetrain. keep saving. i have those blue ambrosio excellence wheels on daytona hubs doing nothing.. latte bike in the making.

Still look like this ?
munga wrote: Image
If ya ever wanna sell the frame and forks......just sayin :wink:

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 pm

beerman, its just a bare frame now. wheelset went with my fluoro yellow superlite last year
10spd centaur century grey components are aslo being stashed as i come across them

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 am

so.... project might be taking a bit of a break as of yesterday morning. :(

http://munga1337.blogspot.com/2010/10/bad-luck.html

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:20 am

Well that sucks :cry:

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Sorry to hear about the engine munga. Good old chain driven valves are so out of fashion but I don't know why.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:05 pm

brauluver wrote:Well that sucks :cry:
drubie wrote:Sorry to hear about the engine munga. Good old chain driven valves are so out of fashion but I don't know why.
no point crying over spilt milk. it's just milk. the cow's still in the field. 8)
drubie, i reckon it's manufacturing cost. belts must be easier to fit and cheaper to make than chains.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm

cfr1 sold.
master x light added to collection.
almost finished collecting bits for the lemond. centaur cranks, brakes, hubs, shifters.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

munga wrote:when my little girl was born, i found plenty of reasons not to ride. she's 3 now.. maybe i can finish this before she turns 4.
my daughter turned four in feb. damn.
however, we recently moved, so that excuse should last at least another year.
i actually wheeled out the old repco and took her for a ride today. baby steps.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

munga wrote:
munga wrote:when my little girl was born, i found plenty of reasons not to ride. she's 3 now.. maybe i can finish this before she turns 4.
my daughter turned four in feb. damn.
however, we recently moved, so that excuse should last at least another year.
i actually wheeled out the old repco and took her for a ride today. baby steps.
These things come and go munga - I reckon all of us go through phases of manic activity, followed by a cull and a rethink about what we need, followed by another round of manic activity depending on finances/time/motivation etc.

I had a bit of a cull last year, followed by two (modern) bike builds and now I'm keen on doing another couple of retro builds but this time I'm pretty specific about what I want. The trouble with a lot of tip shop bikes is that they are kinda distracting, plenty of fun, but ultimately just versions of what you already have which makes it hard to get motivated. I'm becoming a bit pickier in that I know what the gaps are in my motley collection and I'm aiming to fill them rather than being swayed by what drifts past me in the stream of junk.

munga

Re: munga's various disjointed projects :)

Postby munga » Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm

ok, so where was i?

it's a bit like not using indicators in the car, isnt it. *I* know where i'm going and that's all that matters..

in the meantime, i picked up a colnago master x light, and another repco, an olympic 12.
the master x light was fitted with campag veloce 9sp and campag scirroco g3 wheels. it's currently bare and hanging up with some other skeletons:

the current plan is to get the colnago cleaned up and fitted out with campag centaur in the century grey finish.
i have most parts. need to change over the fd to clamp-on. still looking for a suitable headset, seatpost and rims:

here's my europa:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Friggin hoarders..... :D