Knee pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
johnny99

Knee pain

Postby johnny99 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Just started riding regularly again after a few years of occasional riding. Only doing about 70 -90 kms a week commuting depending on whether I take the direct or the scenic route to work. Im starting to get pain behind my right knee. I have had a knee reconstruction on this knee quite a few years ago. Im thinking a bit of bursitis or tendonitis. Can anyone recommend a good physio in the North/Eastern suburbs around Morley,Midland area.
Cheers

trailgumby

Re: Knee pain

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Pain like that is usually a signal that your seat is too high. Try lowering it 6mm and see what happens.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:53 am

Physios are a great start. You might also consider a glucosamin+ chondroitin supplement for a few days. My physio told me about this stuff.

I haven't used this brand but do some digging along these lines.
http://www.bio-organics.com.au/prod_det ... E%3C/ul%3E

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Maybe try pedaling a higher cadence (lower gears, quicker spin), to put less load on your knee.
What are these salesmen peddling?

scotto

Postby scotto » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Comedian wrote:Physios are a great start. You might also consider a glucosamin+ chondroitin supplement for a few days. My physio told me about this stuff.

I haven't used this brand but do some digging along these lines.
http://www.bio-organics.com.au/prod_det ... E%3C/ul%3E
save your money IMHO

scotto

Postby scotto » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:32 pm

johnny99 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good physio in the North/Eastern suburbs around Morley,Midland area.
Cheers
Seeing as how you havent included your location in your profile, I have no idea where you are, though I assume it aint Sydney :-)

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replys. Im in Perth WA.
I think its related to the knee recon because its only the one knee. I never had the pain a few years ago when I rode regularly so Im inclined to think Ive gone too hard too early. Will try dropping the seat a little however for a few rides and see what happens.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Well I havent been on the bike now for a month due to the knee pain and then a rather nasty flu which knocked the stuffing out of me. Knee is feeling better though after a months rest. Never did go and see the physio but I have dropped the seat a touch and will head back out for the ride to work and back tomorrow and see how it goes

cjawnik

Postby cjawnik » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Can the seat being too high by mere millimetres be enough to cause post ride knee pain?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:32 pm

cjawnik wrote:Can the seat being too high by mere millimetres be enough to cause post ride knee pain?
Too high or too low will cause knee pain. 2 or 3mm might not make much difference, but I can feel 5mm.

Incorrect fore/aft adjustment will cause knee pain too.

Chef

Postby Chef » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi,
I can recommend Belmont physiotherapy - opposite Belmont forum.

Can also recommend playing with seat hight - I was getting very painful knees after long rides, and ended up raising my seat about 8-9mm , and no longer have pain.

If you have had reconstruction in the past, perhaps it would be worth paying for a professional bike fit?

Cheers,
Phil

damonik

Postby damonik » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 pm

You can try all the suggestions above, I've heard snake oil is also good. But if you want to really find out what's going on, I'd go see Damian Oldmeadow.

http://physiotherapysolutions.com.au

More info here.
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks for the last couple of suggestions. I have ridden to work 3 times now without as much pain. Went and saw my surgeon today and he was of the opinion that there is possibly a small tear of the cartildge again. His advice was to see how it goes and down the track a clean out may be necessary. Dropping the seat has made it more comfortable to ride.
Im back at the orthapedic centre next week so will investigate the physio there.

Cheers