Fitz's Classic

nickj_d

Re: Fitz's Classic

Postby nickj_d » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:05 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Good stuff, all I have to do is get myself able to ride all the gorges in one day and I'll be set. That is start at Gosford, ride to Berowra, then to Bobbin Head, turn around and head back up and then to Hornsby, down Galston Gorge, and around to Berowra Waters and the ferry, up to Berowra and back home to Gosford. Simple :oops: :oops: :oops:
When you're a lightweight like me, the hills are your friend - a chance to catch up with those bigger machines who over 165km would otherwise leave me for dead on the big gears.

Oh, and by the way, my comment about those hills being good training - applies to the 165km Classic only. If you're thinking the 207km Epic :lol: :lol: :lol: have you checked out it's profile? :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck :lol: :lol: I don't know any hills in the area that can prepare you for that!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

nickj_d wrote:
fatherofmany wrote:Good stuff, all I have to do is get myself able to ride all the gorges in one day and I'll be set. That is start at Gosford, ride to Berowra, then to Bobbin Head, turn around and head back up and then to Hornsby, down Galston Gorge, and around to Berowra Waters and the ferry, up to Berowra and back home to Gosford. Simple :oops: :oops: :oops:
When you're a lightweight like me, the hills are your friend - a chance to catch up with those bigger machines who over 165km would otherwise leave me for dead on the big gears.

Oh, and by the way, my comment about those hills being good training - applies to the 165km Classic only. If you're thinking the 207km Epic :lol: :lol: :lol: have you checked out it's profile? :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck :lol: :lol: I don't know any hills in the area that can prepare you for that!
I'm no lightweight, around 84kg so I'm one of those guys you race past on the up hills, only for gravity to help me on the dowhill. Haven't checked the 207 yet but I guess I'd just better ride up & down the Mt White climb a few times in a row then.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

seddo

Postby seddo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:16 pm

My wife has talked me into the 50km ride, have not done alot of preparation so I will be taking it easy (very easy) so if you see a fat dude on a grey and black Apollo - it will be me

scotto

Fitz's Classic

Postby scotto » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:14 pm

You whinging light weights make me laugh, usually while waiting at the top of the hills for you to catch up!

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 pm

scotto wrote:You whinging light weights make me laugh, usually while waiting at the top of the hills for you to catch up!
That's it Scott. You've just laid down a KOTM challenge for Fitz's. Points for every climb till the end (not just the first 50kms till you've burnt yourself out!)
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 pm

nickj_d wrote:
scotto wrote:You whinging light weights make me laugh, usually while waiting at the top of the hills for you to catch up!
That's it Scott. You've just laid down a KOTM challenge for Fitz's. Points for every climb till the end (not just the first 50kms till you've burnt yourself out!)
i'll give you my polka dot jersey then.
on a darker note today, one of my shifters died, so i think its a new groupset in the next few days :-(
might have to go back to compact gearing though with the new bits, as i dont think my near new crankset ( 9speed) will work with a 10speed chain.. we'll see.
Now if i can keep up with you with the man sized gearset, hopefully using a similar girly (compact)setup things should be at least smilar. Oh, do you want black or white coffee, i'll order it while waiting for you the reach the top :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

number21

Postby number21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Finally worked out my accomodation. Going solo camping. Just a question for the Canberrians out there, whats the traffic like to Sydney on Monday mornings? Is it safe to assume I'll get back to Sydney by 8-830 if I leave at 5ish?

Thanks.

psike

Postby psike » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 pm

number21 wrote:Finally worked out my accomodation. Going solo camping. Just a question for the Canberrians out there, whats the traffic like to Sydney on Monday mornings? Is it safe to assume I'll get back to Sydney by 8-830 if I leave at 5ish?

Thanks.
Yeah it's generally a 3 hr drive but you'll hit traffic t Campbeltown at that hour, so depends where you need to get to, you'll hit peak hour on sth sydney.

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Where in Sydney?
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

number21

Postby number21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Robdog wrote:Where in Sydney?
Sutherland shire, Sans Souci to be exact. I was thinking Campbelltown could be an issue at that time, maybe getting on the Illawara Hwy and hitting the coast earlier would be a better option.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:02 am

san souci isnt the shire... its st george!! dont claim shire status unless ur on the right side of the bridge hehehe

at that time of morning it all stuffed no matter which way u go :( but going thru campbelltown is a joke.
cutting across picton road may be an option
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:46 am

So, um, how good do you have to be for Fitz 50? I'm trying to figure out how long I'd take so I can warn the family. I normally only commute a bit. According to Cyclemeter, my Adelaide Ave average speed is about 30-35km/hour, my max is about 40km/hr and my average for the whole 14km trip is 20-25 km/hr (includes traffic lights and hills and magpie attacks etc).

Also, how good/fast is the "novice" "apprendiz" category of the Stromlo crit races? I'm ever so slightly interested...

PS - female.

stated

Postby stated » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 am

Hi,
How does the 105km compare to the gong ride? hillier/flatter?, also 23c or 25c for the back tyre?

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 am

vinvin wrote:So, um, how good do you have to be for Fitz 50? I'm trying to figure out how long I'd take so I can warn the family. I normally only commute a bit. According to Cyclemeter, my Adelaide Ave average speed is about 30-35km/hour, my max is about 40km/hr and my average for the whole 14km trip is 20-25 km/hr (includes traffic lights and hills and magpie attacks etc).
Can't really comment on this as I've not ridden Fitz's yet, but I'd imagine that you'd be able to average 15-20km/h relatively easily so finishing in 3hrs should be a conservative estimate, averaging 25km/h on hills would be harder work but you might manage 2hrs if pushed it hard.
vinvin wrote: Also, how good/fast is the "novice" "apprendiz" category of the Stromlo crit races? I'm ever so slightly interested...
PS - female.
Again, can't speak for these races but having started racing this year I can only recommend it, great fun and really good for pushing your abilities. I managed to stay in touch in my first race in D grade, I've been dropped a few times but recently won my first race after around 15 attempts, learned a lot and had a ball every week.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm

vinvin wrote:So, um, how good do you have to be for Fitz 50? I'm trying to figure out how long I'd take so I can warn the family. I normally only commute a bit. According to Cyclemeter, my Adelaide Ave average speed is about 30-35km/hour, my max is about 40km/hr and my average for the whole 14km trip is 20-25 km/hr (includes traffic lights and hills and magpie attacks etc).

Also, how good/fast is the "novice" "apprendiz" category of the Stromlo crit races? I'm ever so slightly interested...

PS - female.
You shouldn't have a problem with Fitz's 50. Anyone of average fitness could knock it off in less than 3 hours.

With regard to novice women, they are still working out where they best fit, either in the Women's B or the 'Apprendiz' group (currently racing in the Apprendiz). Apprendiz put out 39km/hr average for the race last week, which was pretty crazy. It's hard for novice women, because there isn't enough of them to have a race of their own. Regardless, jump in, have a race and see how you go. Use the other women in the race as your gauge, not the main pack. I may have scared you off, but don't worry. There are other women in the same position as you are.

Come down for a look and see for yourself. Apprendiz races this week 27 Oct 6:50pm, 03 Nov 7:13pm, 10 Nov 5:15pm.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm

39kmh over how long? That seems quick. No hills, though. And what do the A and B grade men do by way of comparison?

Has anyone checked out tonights long term weather forecast? Showers next Sat and Sunday. Not too sure if I want to do 5.5-6 hours in the rain or periodically soaking...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm

mrgolf wrote:39kmh over how long? That seems quick. No hills, though. And what do the A and B grade men do by way of comparison?

Has anyone checked out tonights long term weather forecast? Showers next Sat and Sunday. Not too sure if I want to do 5.5-6 hours in the rain or periodically soaking...
14 minutes, according to the results. I'm guessing eight laps. Any you climb and descend about six metres per lap.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:46 pm

twizzle wrote:Any you climb and descend about six metres per lap.
:lol:

Not enough for me then.

So how long is a lap? I thought crits were ride for set amount of time, then sprint after set time for set number of laps? I might have to check out this new-fangled shenanigans...

God, I hope it stays dry for Fitz! Pls, pls, pls....

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 pm

I think the CCC website said the novice race was 20 minutes. It seems so short! And yet, imagine sprinting for that long...

Thanks for the info, I might go along this Wednesday and check it out.

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:01 pm

mrgolf wrote:39kmh over how long? That seems quick. No hills, though. And what do the A and B grade men do by way of comparison?
It's ridiculously quick, especially for E grade. I don't know the other grades. I only know E because that's what I race. It is a pretty much flat circuit. Stop for a few laps next time you ride past stromlo, next Sunday even.

They had to shorten the races due to fast approaching night-time, so it was 12min plus 2 laps. The races slowly get longer as the days get longer, Apprendiz ranging between 14min +2 laps and 20 +2. A grade peak at 37 +2. It's tough work, but it goes quick.
Last edited by Bantam Roosta on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Good that I am not the only one thinking thats quick. I have ridden that track a few times, and I could imagine those short rises could be quite taxing at full sprint after more than 10 minutes. Sounds like fun.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 am

The circuit is 1.2km.

I rode a 39.4km/h average last week, and of the 25:44 race time I was only drafting for about four minutes - they were the slow laps. Last year, I could solo lap consistently at 1:51 - 1:52, at the moment I'm lapping 1:46 - 1:47.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:19 pm

mrgolf wrote: Has anyone checked out tonights long term weather forecast? Showers next Sat and Sunday. Not too sure if I want to do 5.5-6 hours in the rain or periodically soaking...
Must be optimistic, showers won't be so bad, keep us cool and all, as long as it's not too wet on the downhills.

My preparation was interrupted by the rain here in Sydney on Sunday, didn't get a big ride in as I'd hoped. One more trip to Bobbin Head on Wednesday morning hopefully to give the legs a stretch.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Too far out to be worried about weather reports at the moment. Just looking forward to it (especially now that I know I can make the distance).

got my riders pack in the mail on friday, and can't wait till sunday.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Cbr weather is typically 12hours behind the forecast. I wouldn't read into anything until at least Fri evening
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)