Managing neck pain?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Downhill

Managing neck pain?

Postby Downhill » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Does anyone have any tips on managing neck pain?

I have some wear & tear on my neck and shoulders. I know cycling isn't the best exercise if you have neck problems, but it's an exercise enjoy so I want to stick with it as long as I can.

So far I've tried:
- Checking with my GP
- Raising the drop bars a little and tilting them a little further upward
- Spending less time in the drop position
- Lowering the seat a fraction
- Moving the seat a little further forward
- Using the back muscles a little more (to take the pressure of the arms & shoulders)
- Relaxing the shoulder & neck muscles when riding (takes concentration)
- Raising the visor on the helmet so that I don't have to look up as far
- Choosing smoother routes
- Shorter, more frequent rides
- Longer recovery time between rides

Short of changing from a road bike to 'bent, are there any other tricks or techniques that might help?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Tim

Re: Managing neck pain?

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm quite sure the neck pain I get is from muscle tension and anxiety.
I often realise that my jaw, face, head and neck muscles are tensed without me even noticing, especially during times of stress or anxiety.
As you said, if I concentrate on consciously relaxing these muscles, along with the rest of my body then the pain often eases.
Neck pain is treated seriously my the medicos so yes, see a GP to make sure its ok to be riding.
Good posture ie. whilst standing and sitting helps me. Sitting at a computer is one of the worst things I can do. Looking down at a screen rather than up, as in on a bike, is not good for me.
I still get sore on the bike, but very gentle neck stretches, changing riding positions regularly, keeping my head up, not looking down at the front wheel, all helps.
Some things I have to just put down to (impending) old age and live with.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:57 pm

I would ditch the visor all together, I found that helped me. I do a few upper arm/shoulder stretches at traffic light stops which also helps.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:41 am

sounds to me like you have a lot of it under control.
maybe try flipping the stem upside down to lift things a bit higher ?

you should also work on you upper thoracic stiffness. this is something quite common that influences the way you neck can behave, and the postures it can adopt. ie, if its stiff down between the shoulder blades, you'll poke you head out further and maybe end up with neck pain.
try stretching daily for 10minutes, lying on your back on the floor with a rolled up towel under your back, placed across the bra-strap sort of level. after a few minutes, you can move it up an inch or two. rinse and repeat 10-15min. the stretch shouldnt be comfortable, but it shouldnt be uncomfortable either - go figure that out

some people use a fitball or foam roller. i dont mind the roller, but the ball doesnt allow for a very good stretch, though its great for core work.
the picture isnt quite what i meant, but close. she should be relaxed and not doing anything, instead of some sort of crunch

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I would ditch the visor all together, I found that helped me. I do a few upper arm/shoulder stretches at traffic light stops which also helps.
Yup. + 1

This may not be your answer, but it's a damn good place to start. An MTB helmet is designed differently than a road helmet, which has higher brow clearances so you can see whilst riding in the drops without having to cane your neck back. Because they're expensive could you not borrow a road helmet to try out? Another thing, they're lighter, mostly. I found a helmet 70g lighter made a difference over a 100km ride. Oh yeah, ditch the visor.

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:31 pm

When going down on your partner, try lying side on.

I always find that helps if my neck starts tightening up.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Chops, not too sure if that comment's appropriate here on this forum ................... but, i didn't write it, and it's a damn good tip. Will keep it in mind for next time!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Studying and practicing Alexander Technique has helped with my neck and shoulder pain.
<removed by request>

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks for all your replies, there's some very good advice there.
Tim wrote:Some things I have to just put down to (impending) old age and live with.
Amen to that. I plan on living long enough for old age to be a problem! Hence the need to be able to look up occasionally ...
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 am

nickj_d wrote:Chops, not too sure if that comment's appropriate here on this forum ................... but, i didn't write it, and it's a damn good tip. Will keep it in mind for next time!
agreed
so much i want to ad to this, but just this once i thought before i pressed submit

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm

:P
Aerodynamic Facial Hair

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 pm

so much i want to ad to this, but just this once i thought before i pressed submit
As the old man used to say; "engage brain before opening mouth", or in this case pushing the button.
Hard learnt lesson this one. Still learning it.