Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:38 am

I just thought I'd post this up. The Kedron Brook Bike way starts at Mitchelton and can be followed through the Boondall wetlands more or less to the seaside at Shorncliffe/Sandgate. It has various names, but I think all those who ride on the Brisbane northside appreciate this great and scenic track.

The nature of the bikeway is that it follows Kedron Brook so is very prone to flooding and damage in wet times. Also, Boondall Wetlands didn't get it's name by accident. Many of it's paths are prone to submersion.

So, if you follow the brook, and see something that people might like to know about, please post it so that others know what to expect.

Comedian

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:48 am

Ok I'll start :)

Yesterday morning I rode from Stafford to Sandgate. The entry to the bikeway at Stafford City is still closed. The path under Lutwyche Road is being closed and re-opened while they are working on it. There are large pools of water between Stafford and Shaw Road. At the bottom of the hill at Kedron it's a quagmire! There were big efforts being made to clean up the vicinity of Shaw Road from all the damage.

From Shaw road, right out to Nudge road I can only remember one large pool of water near the hockey fields. Actually there was a few puddles out past the criterion. There was also a lot of leaves and sticks down on the path in sections.

The wetlands had numerous sections with quite deep water. Some of them for many metres. When I say deep I mean probably 10-15 cm. :o There were many sections through the wetlands with lots of leaves and sticks resulting in one of our group getting a hole in his tyre (nasty).

It should improve quickly if this weather stays good, but in the meantime don't bother cleaning your bike before you head out and you might want to put aside a bit of time to clean it up when you get home. :shock: You may wish to go fully prepared. :)

Max

Postby Max » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:22 pm

I went out from Mitchelton to Nudgee today. A few very shallow puddles along the Grange-Shaw Rd stretch of the path, but otherwise dry. There is quite a bit of dreck on the paths near the construction works. A puddle or two between Shaw Rd and Kalinga Park. From there to Nudgee is pretty clean and dry.

The BCC have cleaned up the mud pit in the underpass below South Pine Rd (near Anaconda). Not a moment too soon! Actually, the BCC have done a top job getting the paths back into usable condition.

I have not revisited the flooded bridge just up the path from Brookside shopping centre. I've decided to go along Griffith St and cut that part out of my route altogether. It's easier than navigating a narrow, dirty path that can barely fit one pedestrian on it. I might check it out this week and report back here.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

term

Postby term » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:42 am

Did this yesterday too, though from Alderley to Scarborough and back. The path is clear all the way though no problem, there's a bit of a mud pit at nudgee road and some of the track underwater, but that was drying up noticeably between when we went there and when we went back so I'd expect that to be gone this time tomorrow unless we see more rain.

Was a massive headwind coming back down though, it was not fun at all :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53246204 for the way I went in case its different to you.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 am

term wrote:Did this yesterday too, though from Alderley to Scarborough and back. The path is clear all the way though no problem, there's a bit of a mud pit at nudgee road and some of the track underwater, but that was drying up noticeably between when we went there and when we went back so I'd expect that to be gone this time tomorrow unless we see more rain.

Was a massive headwind coming back down though, it was not fun at all :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53246204 for the way I went in case its different to you.
Had the wetlands dried out? There was lots of water there Saturday morning?

term

Postby term » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 am

there were patches about 10/20 meters long where it was underwater by as much as 2 inch's, you definitely needed to slow down for them or you'd get wet, but it was fine and passable. I was more worried about branches across the track but these were mostly all cleared away too, the wetlands gets a lot of traffic in bikes so I imagine people just push them off the path when they come to them.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am

The path from stafford city is now open :)

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

Comedian wrote:Had the wetlands dried out? There was lots of water there Saturday morning?
My understanding is that the wetlands are flooded not by rains (or not only by rains) but by tides. I.e. if the tide is high there may be water on the path even if it wasn't raining. And then it disappears when you're going back a few hours later.

Which probably means that the water on the path is salty and corrosive... I also remember somebody said he almost rode over a fish there :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Anyone know if there is a way to join the KBB coming from the Gateway Bridge??
I trying to figure out a way to doing without riding down Kingsford Smith Drive/Nudgee Road, if possible!!

I know of a couple of Southsiders keen to venture over to the northside for a change of view :wink:

Thanks Term for the Garmin link.
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Good question MM.

I found this site on the upgrade..

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au ... 216&id=349

And found this map of connectivity which suggests the you get dumped onto Kingford Smith Drive.

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au ... 048936.pdf

You can see from this map that there is bike track along KSD which joins up with an on-road track past Eagle Farm Racecourse.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bccwr/fa ... map_05.pdf

That then puts you onto the Kedron Brook bikeway.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bccwr/fa ... map_03.pdf

I'd love to ride the gateway sometime if anyone is keen. Happy to do tours of the KBB too - always looking for an excuse to put some k's under me. :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks Comedian for those links, will take a look and check out the best way to link the GB to the KBB.

The GB is pretty good, in nice condition, a bit of rubbish lying around in places, probably from the windy/wet weather last week...the 10k 'suggested' speed limit is a joke, even I can get up the bridge at more than 10ks/hour! Not too many ped's around when we went over yesterday!
My hubby's Garmin said that it was only about 6% gradient...after going up and down Mt Gravatt a few times in the past month, it wasn't as bad as it looks!

We parked at Cannon Hill and rode via Queensport Road up and over the bridge...then hit the crap roads around Pinkenba, blah!
Lisa

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Just a hint - you can ring BCC 24 hours on 3403 8888 and report a footpath or bikeway problem. If you tell them its a 'safety issue' they will usually send someone out the next day to investigate and get it cleaned up quick.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:57 pm

or if you're an antisocial internet person like me you can use the website ;) It says 30 days but I had them ring me/fix it the next day when I reported debris in a bike lane :)

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-co ... CON_report

Max

Postby Max » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:55 am

Or, if you're extra-antisocial, you can install FixVegas on your iPhone: http://www.urbaninformatics.net/projects/fixvegas/

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I need to check out if Logan council have something similar...when riding to the coast never ever use the bikepaths that are labelled as part of the V1...through Logan the paths are littered with broken glass and rubbish...the last time I rode to the coast got a flat near Beenleigh :x

I'd rather take my chances on the road!
The state of the bikepaths in the BCC area are in a much better state :)
Lisa

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Logan CC contact details are here: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/LCC/council/contactus but they only work business hours.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 pm

rhancock wrote:Logan CC contact details are here: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/LCC/council/contactus but they only work business hours.
Hang on, I'd like to clarify that point. Are you saying that the Logan Council folks work business hours, or that they can sometimes be contacted by phone during those times? Sorry to be pedantic :mrgreen:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 pm

rhancock wrote:Logan CC contact details are here: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/LCC/council/contactus but they only work business hours.

Thanks for that link!
Lisa

rhancock

Postby rhancock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Comedian wrote:
Hang on, I'd like to clarify that point. Are you saying that the Logan Council folks work business hours, or that they can sometimes be contacted by phone during those times? Sorry to be pedantic :mrgreen:
Well, I have spoken to a real, live person during business hours, but as for whether they were actually working or not, I don't think I can say.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:09 pm

The Boondall Wetlands path is still a bit wet. A handful of puddles an inch or more deep. One long puddle (3-4 metres) that was, I'm guessing, around 2 inches deep. Otherwise, that section appears to be no better or worse than usual. There's a fair bit of mud in the tunnel just past the Wetlands carpark. Lots of tyre tracks in it, which might make it a bit unpleasant once it dries a bit.

Oh, and some knob smashed a glass or bottle or something just after the bridge near all the construction works in Kedron. There's glass all across the path, no avoiding it.

The good news is that the persistent magpie along the stretch near the Grange seems to have given up. For now. :)

Max

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:56 pm

We rode KBB today from Grange out to Nudgee Beach for the first time...we 2 southsiders gave it a big thumbs up!

Next week we're planning on riding that way again but continuing on to Redcliffe and return, weather permitting! :)
Lisa

term

Postby term » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 pm

max that glass on the path gave me a puncture today doh :evil: :evil: :evil:

I fixed it fairly quick by cheating and using my spare tube but it was hell annoying... Rode from alderley out to woody point today solo - was a nice day not much wind about, but yes still a little water on the track not enough to worry about thou

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:42 am

I tried riding through the Boondall Wetlands last Saturday (23/10) and came across a BIG puddle a little south of the Environment Centre so I turned back. Hamsters are timid little creatures.

Good to hear that it is continuing to dry. Is there anymore recent news? Might give it another go this weekend as it is a really nice ride and the shop in Nudgee Beach makes good lattes.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Hamster wrote:I tried riding through the Boondall Wetlands last Saturday (23/10) and came across a BIG puddle a little south of the Environment Centre so I turned back. Hamsters are timid little creatures.

Good to hear that it is continuing to dry. Is there anymore recent news? Might give it another go this weekend as it is a really nice ride and the shop in Nudgee Beach makes good lattes.
Thanks for the update. I'll be out there Saturday morning so won't bother cleaning the bike until I get home then. :)

Welcome to the forum too. :)

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Something some of you may be interested in. Evans Cycles have SKS mudguards delivered for $49. I was quoted $119 here. Not bad if you really need to go through the wetlands. Also, Spa Cycles have BBB Hardware shoe covers and Brooks medium saddle covers as cheap as.