Fixie / SS Gear to choose

aaron

Re: Fixie / SS Gear to choose

Postby aaron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I actually am looking for the whole bike instead of just the frame.
Why?
Some of the parts on a road frame will not be able to be used if you want to build a ss/fixed bike anyway.
Stem, saddles, bars and seat posts can be found very cheaply, even new...especially new when I think about it? Kalloy seat post $15, $10 saddles from the bargain bin. Also old BBs are crap and should be replaced with $20 cartridge ones immediately anyway...it's hard to modify a double/triple chain ring set up to single and you need some bike skills already to be able to do that.
What wheel set do you plan to put on this bike EG?
Also are you really 12?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Firstly, Do not judge me by my age.
Secondly, I am going to use spacers on the original wheel and make it a SS. I think I have mentioned that before.
Thirdly, I love a challenge and I do have some bike skills. Mark my Signature.
Last edited by .isaac. on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:24 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Firstly, Do NOT judge me by my age.
Secondly, I am going to use spacers on the original wheel and make it a SS. I think I have mentioned that before.
Skills maybe, a sense of history no. You've been looking at bikes from the 80's. These will almost all have screw on clusters. Spacers would be required for a cassette style freehub which didn't become available until the 90's. As a rough guide the first STI gears (8spd Dura-Ace) that I saw in Australia was in 1990 and that was very rare (unique?) then. 7 speed cassettes were around before then but they were not common.

Hubs for screw-on clusters will give you an advantage though because you can put a single speed freewheel on at first and then replace it with a track cog later when you are sure what gear you want. You will need to adjust the spacing of the hubs between the lock nuts to improve your chainline though, and consequently re dish the wheel to centre it. When you do this, the wheel will end up stronger than it started.

Cheers,

Cameron

nathann

Postby nathann » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't think he was judging you (?).

Anyway, should of picked up the track frame, then sold it to one of your mates for extra $$$
Since track frames are like cool nowadays...

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:12 am

nathann wrote:
I don't think he was judging you (?).
That is a general statement.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 am

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 am

Firstly I think you might want to remove the capitals from the word 'not' and take a breath.
My question regarding your age was about whether I thought it wise to ride a fixed gear or not.
Secondly you should realise that I, and a many number more here, have been extremely helpful in your quest to find a bike.
What's stopping you riding around your suburbs on you current mtn bike with an extra lock and finding a hard garbage frame, locking it to a tree and then coming back with Mum when she's willing and able?
My first fixed gear was a road side pick up and I don't think I even measured it ever!

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 am

I've looked at your other posts on this site and I reckon you know enough about bikes, or think you do, to do this all by yourself.
Good luck.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 pm

aaron wrote: Image
Very nice fixie btw. I think drops would complete it. Thanks for all your help as well. It has been really great and I have very much appreciated it. When I do find a bike I will create a post on my build and alert you about it. Thanks again.
Isaac.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:05 pm

To everyone that has been helping me find a bike... I FOUND ONE!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:35 pm

EvilGenius wrote:To everyone that has been helping me find a bike... I FOUND ONE!
Pics ...or it didn't happen :wink:

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

No, No... I found a road bike and I have my hands on it.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm

EvilGenius wrote:No, No... I found a road bike and I have my hands on it.
I gathered that, but.........if you don't post pics then it isnt' true.
It's just an internet forum thing ... ya know?

So get out the camera.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm

He's got one now so let's lock the thread hey?
No use keeping it going.

interesting timing though

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:43 pm

I suppose we should but before we lock it up I was lubricating my chain and accidently got some chain lubricant on the brake pads. What do I do to unlubricate them?

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Brake pads are nowhere near the chain?? Anyway, I'd take them off and wash them is soapy water or some brake cleaner if you have it.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:47 pm

I put alot of lube on the chain and it spilt onto my rims and then touched the pads. Thanks for the info.
I think we will wrap it up at that point.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm

When you lube the chain you only need a small amount and make sure you wipe it all off. It needs to be in the rollers, not all over the bike. Wrap a rag around the chain and run it around a few times.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Skills maybe, a sense of history no. You've been looking at bikes from the 80's. These will almost all have screw on clusters. Spacers would be required for a cassette style freehub which didn't become available until the 90's.
Hmmm, sense of history ?? Yes.

The first cassette freehubs were available from ~1979. I have a bike that I had built in 1981 and it has a 5-speed freehub, and at first it had a cassette that was seperate sprockets with spacers. One-piece cassettes came later.

By the late 80s cassettes and freehubs were pretty much the norm for most new bikes. I'd say bikes from the 80s about today would be at least 50/50 cassettes and screw-on.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 am

So where are the pics?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Im getting to them... its an old Malvern star SL500.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:48 am

il padrone wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Skills maybe, a sense of history no. You've been looking at bikes from the 80's. These will almost all have screw on clusters. Spacers would be required for a cassette style freehub which didn't become available until the 90's.
Hmmm, sense of history ?? Yes.

The first cassette freehubs were available from ~1979. I have a bike that I had built in 1981 and it has a 5-speed freehub, and at first it had a cassette that was seperate sprockets with spacers. One-piece cassettes came later.

By the late 80s cassettes and freehubs were pretty much the norm for most new bikes. I'd say bikes from the 80s about today would be at least 50/50 cassettes and screw-on.
Oooh a debate!

I wasn't disputing the existence of free hubs, merely the proportion. Cassettes & freehubs were certainly becoming the norm for 'good' bikes but certainly wasn't universal. There were also still a lot of low end road bikes that used screw-ons exclusively, and the low end bikes outsold the good ones by quite a margin, until the very late 80's when the low end bikes were almost all MTB's.

I'll even cite Sheldon
Freewheels for Threaded Hubs:
Traditional rear hubs came with a standardized set of threads to which a standard freewheel/sprocket cluster could be screwed on. This allowed any brand of freewheel to be mounted on any brand of hub. If you wore out your sprockets, or wanted different gear ratios, you could unscrew the cluster and install a new one.
Almost all bikes made through the late 1980s used this system.

Cassette Freehubs
Most decent-quality bikes made since the late 1980s have used this greatly improved design.
Cassettes and freehubs were almost exclusively made by Shimano at this time. There was also some resistance at the top end of the market from the older riders who still distrusted anything Shimano (They were the ones who brought out strange looking angled teeth, Positron shifting, 10mm pitch chains, and Biopace afterall). Screw-ons were still sufficiently common for Sachs to bring out an 8speed version in the 90s which could be used with Campag systems but the product line didn't last long since all but the lightest riders would break axles due to the long distance between the bearings and the dropout.

I still say that a much higher proportion of 80's rear wheels still in existence will have a screw-on.

I still enjoy discussing antique equipment. I recently won a crit in the old fat blokes grade using friction shifters and non aero brake levers.

Regards,

Cameron

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

EvilGenius wrote:Im getting to them... its an old Malvern star SL500.
I reckon if you spent as much time taking a pic as you do posting here...we'd see what you got.
I don't believe that you have a bike at all.
Prove me wrong please?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 pm

grrr... Image wont post...

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:51 pm

email them to me and I'll post them for you

aaron@heartstarter.com.au