Velodromes in Melbourne

cpical

Velodromes in Melbourne

Postby cpical » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi,

I just moved to Melbourne, from Switzerland. My bikes (one track, one road) are on their way, by boat. I would like to know which velodromes are open to the public. I really hope there is an indoor one!

Cheers

Christophe

broke

Re: Velodromes in Melbourne

Postby broke » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:35 am

Google DISC, it's an indoor velodrome about 11km North-East of the city. To race you will need to join a club, Brunswick run a meet on Tuesday nights, there is also racing on Thursday nights (Northcote I think) and enduro style racing on some Sunday afternoons (Hawthorn). I'm a member of Brunswick, a friendly bunch that also run 3 hour training sessions on Sunday mornings at DISC. We also have an outdoor velodrome that can be ridden on any time, located at Harrison st in Brunswick. There is also an outdoor velodrome in Hawthorn.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Phil

broke

Postby broke » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Yep...

cpical

Postby cpical » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks broke for the info.
I am not interested in racing but just cycling inside when the weather's too wet or cold outside. Can you leave your bike at DISC?
I got my track bike just a few months before we left Switzerland, having planned to train in Aigle (site of UCI) during european winter. In Aigle you can leave your bike. I have been out with it only three times in Lausanne on the outdoor velodrome which is free, but not very smooth to ride. :?

broke

Postby broke » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:55 am

Sorry about the delay in repsonding, you can leave your bike at DISC i'm fairly sure. Mine is currently there but in our club store facilities. It would be worth checking with DISC directly (centre management are there pretty much full time) about training possabilities, if you look at their calender it seems to always have something on but you never know unless you ask. It never rains in Melbourne anyway, you should have no problem training year round after coming from Switzerland. :D

cpical

Postby cpical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

One year down the road, and my track bike has not seen one track! :(
DiSC is too far away, and I am not cycling with it on the outside velodromes.
So riding on my road bike. Most often on Beach Rd and Boulevard.
Will do the Alpine Classic again in January.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 pm

cpical wrote:One year down the road, and my track bike has not seen one track! :(
DiSC is too far away, and I am not cycling with it on the outside velodromes.
So riding on my road bike. Most often on Beach Rd and Boulevard.
Will do the Alpine Classic again in January.
In Sydney they try to force you onto the track!...a certain North Sydney club wanted to run races on a Wed night,but because 50 kms away thru peak hour traffic in South Sydney they had a track night,they were told they couldn't do it :roll: .
Just wear skinnies and cruise cpical...might as well get some use out of your bike :lol: .

cpical

Postby cpical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote: Just wear skinnies and cruise cpical...might as well get some use out of your bike :lol: .

I am too old! 8) And don't want to damage it, much nicer than my commuter bike!!!

Still waiting for you to register at Velotrainer.net!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

My French slang isn't good enough!...I can talk face to face OK these days...even read pretty well.But forum slang I quickly get lost...there are regular email flying around thru the club and I don't get the meaning of half of them!.
ALthough the one saying they want to know who wants a room near Alpe D'Huez for the etape next year that came yesterday I understood...not sure if I can say yes thou! :oops: .

cpical

Postby cpical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My French slang isn't good enough!...I can talk face to face OK these days...even read pretty well.But forum slang I quickly get lost...there are regular email flying around thru the club and I don't get the meaning of half of them!.
ALthough the one saying they want to know who wants a room near Alpe D'Huez for the etape next year that came yesterday I understood...not sure if I can say yes thou! :oops: .

Get Fred to introduce you!!!
But I do understand, forum/sms language can be very obscure. With French (language) being very badly treated by the natives. :oops: :oops: :oops: