Chappelli Single/Fixed Speed

aeroslave

Re: Chappelli Single/Fixed Speed

Postby aeroslave » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks guys....being new to this SS/Fixie thingy...I was tempted to buy this bike at eBay but something tells me research research....good stuff i checked. Ended up building a decent SS/Fixie from a retro parts.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leumas

Postby leumas » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I would just like to say that I was one of the first to get a bike from 2010 winter/spring line and i have to say the bike and the service is great. i always wanted to have a go at fixed gear so the flip flop hub was a cool attribute. for $500 you are getting a damn good setup. The bike is perfect for the novice or beginner rider who just wants to have a cruise or maybe get a little bit more serious and start riding fixed. Another cool thing about the setup is the frame dimensions. They are all pretty universal so if you wanted to change your set up such as a different crank or head stem, you can easily.

I had one problem with my bike and that was after a drunken friend crashed my bike and stuffed up the pedal. I emailed tom and pablo from chappelli and they hooked me up not only with a pedal but gave my bike a good servicing all for free! I was just in there the other night and got a look at some of their new setups which aren't available on the website. no idea why... theres some really cool !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! there. the photography on the website really doesnt do the bikes any justice.

highly recommended!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Well, thanks for the report.

Like most forums you better hang around and gain some brownie points through posting, cause as a first post... Glad the Chappelli dudes came to the party.

Incidentally, I have no issue with them posting here to tell us what they're up to, I don't agree they were harshly handled; just got some robust criticism from a discerning crowd - people who know what they want in a bike and how they want it to be when it comes out of the carton or the shop floor. Don't try passing dud goods and you won't get bombed is the best advice I could give them (no imputation suggested from that remark because I'm aware of their 'pricepoint'). It would be nice to see them acting on concerns raised here.

jacksparrow

Postby jacksparrow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 pm

guys, I haven't read EVERY post on this topic, but it seems like alot of hoo-ha and blizz-blazz about nothing.

I just wouldn't but a new bike. at all. In my mind, whether it a Chapelli or a Surly just doesn't matter. It's 6 of one half a dozen of the other (in my eyes).

If you wanna pay $399 or whatever it is, then just do it and ride it around. These bikes obviously are geared toward some sort of market and it services that market. I had a look at the photos. The bikes themselves don't look that bad to me. They are what they are.

I'm not gonna sit here and debate welds, weight and components on a bike that is obviously at the cheaper end of the scale. What's the point?

ag23q

Postby ag23q » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:16 pm

jacksparrow wrote:guys, I haven't read EVERY post on this topic, but it seems like alot of hoo-ha and blizz-blazz about nothing.

I just wouldn't but a new bike. at all. In my mind, whether it a Chapelli or a Surly just doesn't matter. It's 6 of one half a dozen of the other (in my eyes).

If you wanna pay $399 or whatever it is, then just do it and ride it around. These bikes obviously are geared toward some sort of market and it services that market. I had a look at the photos. The bikes themselves don't look that bad to me. They are what they are.

I'm not gonna sit here and debate welds, weight and components on a bike that is obviously at the cheaper end of the scale. What's the point?
qft!

Tom@Chappelli

Postby Tom@Chappelli » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi,
I'm one of the Chappelli 'brothers' and after a long absence from posting I just wanted to say a few things.
1.If we post on a forum such as this one we will identify ourselves clearly, we do not post fake reviews under aliases.
2. Thanks for all the genuine comments (both good & bad) and discussion about our bikes, we take customer feedback seriously, read comments in forums such as this one and conduct follow up surveys with our customers to gauge their views.
3. Since we released our first range of bikes in January 2010 which were the ones that most people in this forum have commented on, we've changed or upgraded over 25 separate parts on our bikes to improve their look, performance, comfort and safety. In a July survey with over 200 responses from actual customers for our first 6 months, 86% said they were either satisfied or very satisfied with our bikes.
4. The changes we have made address many of the issues that have been raised in this forum and include improved weld quality, machined edges on painted rims, dual pivot brakes, Lasco fixie crank, high flange hubs, raked forks, stronger bottom bracket, riser handlebars, metal toe clips and leather grips.
5.Launching a new Australian bike brand is not easy and it will take time for us to get everything right. We know that we can never please everyone and the biking community is diverse with different needs, tastes and budgets. However, all the comments help us to continue to improve our bikes so we will continue to welcome all contributions both positive and negative.

Thanks,
Tom

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:10 pm

I dub thee, "Transparent Tom" :lol:

Seriously though have you guys thought about ditchin the heavy old Hi ten in favour of a Cr Mo frame as a base.

Tom@Chappelli

Postby Tom@Chappelli » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Yep - We looked at it early this year and from a weight perspective I'd like to do it however it would add $50-$100 to the price of the bike and most people we spoke to weren't prepared to pay for that much to save a kilo or so. That said we are thinking about offering at as an option for people who do want to pay a little more for a lighter bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am

Just a note out there to the cynics, I am with Jacksparrow on this. I think the critical feedback is good and if the brand can then take notice and update and improve, that is a good thing. It's a good thing when a local brand is doing well and doing good things for their customers and I feel that it serves everyone much better if we are honest but not vicious.

Tom, thanks for your feedback and keep improving - I look forward to you getting a nod of approval in the future from some of the harshest critics here.
Cycling is in my BNA

Julian

Postby Julian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Guys,

My 2 cents on all of this. Yes it is great that more Australian brands are coming to the market, and more people are riding bikes. This is a huge tick. It's also great that Tom has come to the forum and explained some of the new developments and listen to their critics. This is commended.

In true wikileaks style, I think Tom could be more transparent though.......................he will be able to explain that there is no Chappelli name. This is an alter ego of his business partner (who has a fairly colourful history). Very good marketing on the website though.....Roberto Chappelli (Tom will be able to explain his name and racing history), 50 years on (has the brand been selling bikes at all in last 50 years?). "Our bicycles use parts manufactured in Taiwan by suppliers of leading bike brands. Our bicycles are assembled in China by a Taiwanese manufacturer of US and European bicycles". Frames are made where though?? This is just the start I could go on....

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but I also feel that people should know the truth behind brands, particularly if people are advertising a certain image. I'm not discouraging people buying a chapelli, more people of bikes the better, but buy their bikes based on there look, affordability etc, not on their brand or reputation.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

Looks like their promotions are a little dubious as well http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/t14721/